• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Masskier

I hiked up to the site this morning. Looks like all the footings are in, about half of the walls are poured, and the other half are about ready to pour. They really have accomplished a tremendous amount of work already.

VTKilarney

Aerial view:
10556275_10152623221933023_2533871114302354930_n.jpg

SkiRaceParent

Supposedly there is also another trail that has been cleared to ski directly from the hotel down to Sherburne without having to go up and around near Mid-Burke.

dlague

I hop that they can do something about the section between the Sherburne chair over to Mid Burke. Add a little filler or grade something. Doubt they will. Either way with the new Hotel with bar I am sure there will be not need to go to the lower section so that will not be so important. Talked myself right out of that one!

SkiRaceParent

Thanks from NEK, that map is v. helpful. I hadn't walked up there, my neighbor just told me about it. Definitely can hear the construction from about mid way between mid burke and sherburne on high meadows...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I hop that they can do something about the section between the Sherburne chair over to Mid Burke. Add a little filler or grade something. Doubt they will...

beating-a-dead-horse-o.gif
;-):-D

If they ever move/remove the Willoughby quad, they would be able to straighten and regrade the traverse. However, as it currently stands, trying to regrade the traverse would be difficult without messing up the intersections with other trails that come down to it (Lower Warrens, Lower Fox's, and The Gap.
Is it really that difficult to use your poles and traverse a flat for 100 yards a couple times a day? At least it isn't uphill anymore :lol:.

dlague

beating-a-dead-horse-o.gif
;-):-D

If they ever move/remove the Willoughby quad, they would be able to straighten and regrade the traverse. However, as it currently stands, trying to regrade the traverse would be difficult without messing up the intersections with other trails that come down to it (Lower Warrens, Lower Fox's, and The Gap.
Is it really that difficult to use your poles and traverse a flat for 100 yards a couple times a day? At least it isn't uphill anymore :lol:.

Easy for me - sure! I would not use my poles I skate it! But the snowboarders have a tougher time with that - NO REAL biggie - just a PITA for them!

Edd

Forgive me, because I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread but does this hotel mean they're removing the day lodge option from mid-Burke? I went to the website and didn't find an answer.

VTKilarney

VTDigger has an update on the AnC Bio project: http://vtdigger.org/2014/07/22/anc-bio-begins-environmental-review-process/

The most interesting thing is that permitting is expected to take upwards of a year. IIRC, this is in direct contradiction to Stenger's suggested time frame for commencement of construction.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more opposition from the anti-vaccination, anti-flouride, anti-GMO, anti-nuke crowd. (In other words, 95% of Vermonters now). But of course their objections tend to be loudest when projects are in their backyard, such as Chittenden county or Brattleboro. Hell would freeze over before a wind farm would be allowed on Mansfield or Camel's Hump, but they shake their tambourines with glee so long as it is put somewhere where they won't notice.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Forgive me, because I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread but does this hotel mean they're removing the day lodge option from mid-Burke? I went to the website and didn't find an answer.

The old Mid-Burke day lodge will remain standing through this coming winter. I believe it is slated for demolition soon after the lifts stop spinning in the spring of 2015. The following ski season, the lodge area in the new complex will open along with the new bar.

Unfortunately, it still sounds like the Bears Den is going to get the wrecking ball.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm surprised that there hasn't been more opposition from the anti-vaccination, anti-flouride, anti-GMO, anti-nuke crowd. (In other words, 95% of Vermonters now). But of course their objections tend to be loudest when projects are in their backyard, such as Chittenden county or Brattleboro. Hell would freeze over before a wind farm would be allowed on Mansfield or Camel's Hump, but they shake their tambourines with glee so long as it is put somewhere where they won't notice.

As far as the Chittenden County crowd is concerned, Newport may as well be in Canada.

thetrailboss

Staff member

You are learning fast.....