• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

I am starting this thread in anticipation of the big Burke announcements (for its future) scheduled for Thursday afternoon with a prediction - you will be shocked!

Last edited:

farlep99

Finally I may have a place to land my Cessna to ski the NEK! phew!

nelsapbm

From Facebook:
[h=5]News7/NewsLINC - Lyndon State College
[/h][h=5]From Reporter Kevin Lessard: In a press release handed out at the press conference at Jay Peak this morning it states that there will be a $108 million dollar investment made at Burke Mountain starting in 2013. They plan on building four lodge facilities. We'll bring you more details as we know them!

[/h]

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
From Facebook:
News7/NewsLINC - Lyndon State College

From Reporter Kevin Lessard: In a press release handed out at the press conference at Jay Peak this morning it states that there will be a $108 million dollar investment made at Burke Mountain starting in 2013. They plan on building four lodge facilities. We'll bring you more details as we know them!

Interesting. I wonder if that will mean an expansion for the base lodge (which tends to get rather crowded), and a new Mid-Lodge. Then two hotels (one at mid-Burke and one near the base lodge)?

thetrailboss

Staff member
From Facebook:
News7/NewsLINC - Lyndon State College

From Reporter Kevin Lessard: In a press release handed out at the press conference at Jay Peak this morning it states that there will be a $108 million dollar investment made at Burke Mountain starting in 2013. They plan on building four lodge facilities. We'll bring you more details as we know them!

4 "rustic" lodges. I don't think they mean Mid-Burke lodge rustic either.....

$108 mill for Burke alone. Wow. Never in my wildest dreams. That is crazy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To put this in perspective: the town of Lyndon has 6,000 people or so total. Bed base at Burke would be at almost 25% of the town of Lyndon...unless it is 1,250 per building.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I used to be in construction project management. For perspective, we built a 456 unit apartment building in downtown Boston. That cost $95 mil.

AdironRider

Not going to lie, but this seems a bit to big for their britches. Great thing for the NEK, but I don't see this ending as good as they imply.

108 million at Burke? That seems like a lot of money for a C level mountain. Thats more than Killington is worth. We all know which one is a better investment.

Those lodges are going to have pitiful occupancy.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
On a semi-related note Burke submitted an Act 250 application for 4 new glade trails. For the mostpart these really aren't already existing unmarked glades that are simply being added to the trailmap.

Glade #1: Essentially an extension of Birches after crossing the CCC road. Dumps out of the woods at the top of the Shreburne Quad.
Lower-Birches.jpg

Glade #2: In the woods behind the pump house between Lower Bear Den (says Fox's Folly on the map but that is wrong) and Lower Willoughby.
PumpHouse_Glade.jpg

Glade #3: Parallels skiers left of Lower Dougs Drop.
LowerDougs_Glade.jpg

Glade #4: Obvious continuation of Little Chief after crossing the CCC road.
LowerLittleChief_glade.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
It does seem ambitious. I would imagine that Stenger and Company have done their research though.