• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Things I would like to hear answered at the meeting:
1) What are the specific plans for increasing snow making capacity prior to next season?
2) If there is no such plan, will season pass prices remain the same?
3) Why did the hotel appear to go from ahead of schedule to behind schedule?
4) Is the funding complete for the hotel? If not, what mechanisms are in place to obtain full funding?
5) Are there any plans to install a lift and/or expand in the East Bowl area?

BenedictGomez

And if you want to talk about unfounded rumors, who was the "artist" who claimed that condo sales were up when in reality they were down about 40%? Hmm...

If I owned a condo at that place, I'd be like this trying to get rid of it. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but I just dont see all this ending well.

f_6611.jpg

MEtoVTSkier

I'm thinking a plan to do anything much less than what Wildcat accomplished last summer, won't win much approval. Any lack of activity in this direction once good ground conditions allow, will just spell a repeat next winter.

I'd also be asking questions about the lower mountain lighting project. I think it's a great idea to light up Dashney and Carter Country, but there should be another route down from the lift that isn't park oriented. Just common sense to build the project so that you can get from the top terminal, to the hotel, and down to the lower terminal, so I guess that means High Meadows Pass as well.

It's a no brainer to support BMA. To try to get out of any agreement to get the snow making done by a certain date is just going to anger current and future passholders and condo owners. The earlier and more consistently training/comp slopes are ready, the more Hotel rooms are going to stay filled. Seems like a no-brainier.

I seriously hope the new mid-lodge is going to have the cafeteria open mid-week next winter. If not why the heck is it getting built in the first place??

Serious consideration needs to be given to running the summit lift at night or having the ops crew in there MUCH earlier during/post storms, a little will go a LOOOOOOOOOOONG ways to creating a powder-day reputation that a mountain with only 2 aerial lifts to maintain should have!

We could go on forever, but the reality is...

One aww shit, takes away Five Attaboys!

faQ

1) What are the specific plans for increasing snow making capacity prior to next season?
4) Is the funding complete for the hotel? If not, what mechanisms are in place to obtain full funding?

Is anyone going to take what is said at this meeting as anything more than words and BS?

MEtoVTSkier

Is anyone going to take what is said at this meeting as anything more than words and BS?

He can promise whatever he wants, but if no action is seen by mid-summer, I wouldn't count on many pass sales for next year. As far as spring sales for next year?? Ha! I think the old "fool me once" rule is about to burn him.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

1-2) The snowmaking plans for the future are obviously what got this whole thing started and I think everyone wants to know what is going on. So I really hope the first two questions are answered.

3) I still haven't heard from any source other than you that the hotel is behind schedule. You are basing you extrapolations on a document you found on the internet. There a very likely more recent documents that weren't published that outline the actual schedule. But I suppose you are free to ask about it.

4) My guess is that financial details aren't going to be discussed and honestly I wouldn't expect them to be. Do you publicly give out details of the financial health of your company (assuming you own one)?

5) One thing at a time! Over-under on Burke's East Bowl vs Jay's West Bowl expansions happening first :spin:

I do hope that there is some honest discussion of why there are all of these rumors flying around and what is going on to dispel the rumors and mend fences with a community that has become increasingly upset.

MEtoVTSkier

Claiming the skiing is great now is fine, but one snowstorm did not create much base. On the next thaw, the lack of snow-making is once again going to be very apparent.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Is this pic taken from the same vantage point as the one you posted of Cannon from the same day? If so, it's pretty sweet to have almost identical perspectives of the 2 New England trams from one location.

The Cannon pic was taken from the Fire Tower. The Jay pic from the unload area of the MBX. Unfortunately, the TV tower gets in the way of the view of Jay from the Fire Tower.

VTKilarney

The Cannon pic was taken from the Fire Tower. The Jay pic from the unload area of the MBX. Unfortunately, the TV tower gets in the way of the view of Jay from the Fire Tower.

I wish the windmills weren't in the foreground, but that's definitely a subjective thing.

VTKilarney

3) I still haven't heard from any source other than you that the hotel is behind schedule. You are basing you extrapolations on a document you found on the internet. There a very likely more recent documents that weren't published that outline the actual schedule. But I suppose you are free to ask about it.

4) My guess is that financial details aren't going to be discussed and honestly I wouldn't expect them to be. Do you publicly give out details of the financial health of your company (assuming you own one)?
Somebody posted here that a worker on the project said that they were two months behind. I have no idea if that is true or not. But it was posted.

For an EB-5 project, things are different. This is not an entirely private endeavor. I won't go into too much detail, but I know people who have obtained that information already. I haven't posted any details about it here because I'm not the person who requested and obtained the information so it really isn't mine to use.

The only official statement that I am aware of was Stenger's statement to WCAX in April, 2014 that Burke was 25% funded. If there has been something since then, I just haven't seen it. If not, a reasonable person would question why they have never trumpeted the fact that it's been fully funded.

faQ

Somebody posted here that a worker on the project said that they were two months behind. I have no idea if that is true or not. But it was posted.

For an EB-5 project, things are different. This is not an entirely private endeavor. I won't go into too much detail, but I know people who have obtained that information already. I haven't posted any details about it here because I'm not the person who requested and obtained the information so it really isn't mine to use.

The only official statement that I am aware of was Stenger's statement to WCAX in April, 2014 that Burke was 25% funded. If there has been something since then, I just haven't seen it. If not, a reasonable person would question why they have never trumpeted the fact that it's been fully funded.

I am wondering why is this important? They started building it and they are out there everyday, still working on it.

River19

1-2) The snowmaking plans for the future are obviously what got this whole thing started and I think everyone wants to know what is going on. So I really hope the first two questions are answered.

5) One thing at a time! Over-under on Burke's East Bowl vs Jay's West Bowl expansions happening first :spin:

I do hope that there is some honest discussion of why there are all of these rumors flying around and what is going on to dispel the rumors and mend fences with a community that has become increasingly upset.

ANCBio..... between those three and you have Vegas odds

VTKilarney

I am wondering why is this important? They started building it and they are out there everyday, still working on it.

It's important because it is a vital component to the success or lack thereof of the ski area.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

faQ

It's important because it is a vital component to the success or lack thereof of the ski area.

So, your afraid it won't get finished and there will be an incomplete hotel?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Masskier

Was it really necessary to make this personal? This meeting is about Burke. No need to drag your personal vendettas into the discussion about the meeting. I'm at least not a hypocrite who goes around bad mouthing Ary privately to mutual acquaintances that we have but then says something completely different in this forum.

Also, please tell me what I have said about Burke's snow making that was not true. Seriously. Tell me. Hint: You can't.

As for the meeting itself:
Unless there is a specific plan to increase snow making capacity that is going to be implemented in time for the 2015/2016 season, nobody is going to leave content. Let's see if there is an announcement made at the meeting in that regard.

No not personal just the facts. You spread more rumors about Burke than anybody else. it,s a waste of time responding to your sh!t. So you know someone who knows someone who knows me. PLEASE. Is this really necessary? It's not in me to go around bad mouthing anyone nor spread untrue rumors. Does that mean that I agree with all of the decisions that are being made by current management. Of course not. I just choose to respond in a more positive effective way.
Do you really want me to list all of garbage that you said that is untrue? And by the way, last weekend we had our winter board meetings at the academy. And no one appreciated your comment about BMA. Not even your brothers. And speaking for all of the hard working men and women at Burke. Please buy next year season pass some place else.

VTKilarney

No not personal just the facts. You spread more rumors about Burke than anybody else. it,s a waste of time responding to your sh!t. So you know someone who knows someone who knows me. PLEASE. Is this really necessary? It's not in me to go around bad mouthing anyone nor spread untrue rumors. Does that mean that I agree with all of the decisions that are being made by current management. Of course not. I just choose to respond in a more positive effective way.
Do you really want me to list all of garbage that you said that is untrue? And by the way, last weekend we had our winter board meetings at the academy. And no one appreciated your comment about BMA. Not even your brothers. And speaking for all of the hard working men and women at Burke. Please buy next year season pass some place else.

I've said before that anyone who believes my opining is more foolish than me. You keep acting as if I have suggested otherwise. You aren't entitled to misrepresent what I've said to make your point. But on the other hand you have no point unless you misrepresent what I've said. In any event, of the two of us I'm not the one who has misrepresented data. And yet I'm the only one who has actually advised people not to believe me. Keep that in mind as you continue to call the kettle black.

As for BMA, I reported what others are saying and said that I did not believe them. So are you saying that the board did not appreciate my defending BMA? Duly noted. I thought they'd be thankful to know about an issue that is out there. Apparently the reporter is seen as the problem rather than the source. If so, you have to question the collective wisdom of BMA's board.

Regarding snow making, however, I have asked you to tell me if I said anything that was not true. You haven't, because you can't. Since the meeting is primarily about snowmaking, unless you can point out an inaccuracy, you ought not to pretend as if there is one.

You keep trying to make this a personal issue. Maybe for you it is. But if that's the case, we can discuss those issues via PM. That's where such a discussion belongs. Feel free to PM me at your convenience.

Last edited: