• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Yet another season pass promotion has been posted on Burke's Facebook page:
Call in the customer service today (11/20/2014) until 4:30PM to purchase your adult season pass at $699! We're throwing back the price by $200, but you have to call in by 4:30! (802) 626-7300

And, BTW, Masskier, I'm still awaiting an answer for my question.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Let it go.

5e8.jpg

Do you seriously think anyone closely connected with the mountain think it would be a good idea to entertain publicly answering a question regarding something like that?

Say there was a payment withheld from a contractor. Maybe it was withheld due to a dispute over the job that was done. Of course both sides in a scenario like that will claim they are in the right. :dontknow:

VTKilarney

If he doesn't want to answer it, that's fine. He just hasn't indicated one way or the other.

zeke

I'll take the extra ~200 people (of which most prob wont ski much or will down in the lower mountain) in exchange for a mountain operation that will be around in the future.

so your position is that most people staying at a hotel on a ski mountain will not ski at all or only ski the handful of greens?

not sure what's more delusional, that or the idea that these Qlowns will be around in the future.

VTKilarney

I'll take the extra ~200 people (of which most prob wont ski much or will down in the lower mountain) in exchange for a mountain operation that will be around in the future.
Wherever and however the hotel guests ski, I have always maintained that the hotel is an important component in making the mountain profitable. I fully recognize that profitability is key to long term survival. Change needed to happen. While I am quick to point out when change is counterproductive, it's only fair that change for the better is recognized.

freeski

so your position is that most people staying at a hotel on a ski mountain will not ski at all or only ski the handful of greens?

not sure what's more delusional, that or the idea that these Qlowns will be around in the future.
Qlowns, Qlowns... That's some very funny stuff. Qlowns, very nice Zeke. :spin:

troy

Yet another season pass promotion has been posted on Burke's Facebook page:
Call in the customer service today (11/20/2014) until 4:30PM to purchase your adult season pass at $699! We're throwing back the price by $200, but you have to call in by 4:30! (802) 626-7300

i think burke's cool and all but $900 bucks for a pass?? huh, what they smokin over there? even $700 is a rip off, that place is tiny and gets no snow, then again most of ne doesnt get much either... good luck folks gonna stick west side

SkiRaceParent

I read the hotel will have 116 rooms. From there, I estimate 200 people will ski per day (almost 2 per room on average), so I assume most people there will in fact ski...who perhaps weren't going to be there anyway if the hotel wasn't built (assuming it was still open). To me, that's not a big # and won't impact lift lines etc. except around the margin. Also, I would bet the hotel will attract more families and novices than those that already frequent Burke, hence the Green/Sherburne comment.

Look, we are all in agreement on the Q and we will need to see about the future. They own it now, have significant backing and I would guess will give the hotel 3-4 years at least to see how it shifts skier visits, before they would opt to sell.

BenedictGomez

Am I wrong in being skeptical that Burke will ever be able to routinely come close to filling 116 hotel rooms?

Holidays, sure, but other than that?

skiNEwhere

Am I wrong in being skeptical that Burke will ever be able to routinely come close to filling 116 hotel rooms?

Holidays, sure, but other than that?

Depending on the pricing. I'll guess that outside of the holidays there will be some DEEP discounts.

BenedictGomez

Depending on the pricing. I'll guess that outside of the holidays there will be some DEEP discounts.

Sure, but that's not good. Fire sales move goods & services, but it's tough to hit profitibility that way, and tougher to sustain quality.

Granted, profitability is less a concern with "free money", but long-term hotels aren't cheap to run properly. Hopefully they really do a great job with marketing and prove use wrong.

VTKilarney

I don't think that 116 rooms is at all unreasonable. Unlike many other ski resorts, there is minimal competition for beds in the Burke area. Burke is not far from Montreal, either.

The three concerns that I have are:
1) Whether or not Jay Peak will prove to be too much competition for Burke;
2) Whether or not they can get through the slow seasons. From mid-March until well into May it's extremely quiet in Burke. The same is true for November through mid-December. Those periods add up.
3) Whether bicyclists will embrace the hotel given the tensions between Kingdom Trails and the mountain - and the shift of biking activity to the Darling Hill Inn.

But we are not talking some massive hotel here. I can see it appealing to lots of families that want all of the creature comforts without the crowds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think group business is the key to that hotel's success. At its size it needs to have a ballroom that can hold at least 250 for dinner and is dividable for breakout sessions.

Banquet and Conference business is how hotels in VT ski towns survive slow midweeks and off seasons.

VTKilarney

At the Boston Ski show Burke and Kingdom Trails shared a booth. They seem to be getting along much better now.
That is very good news. I don't think there is any question at this point that Q Burke is better off having KT as a partner. Lots of activity was shifted to the Darling Inn area, which cannot have been a good thing for Q Burke.

xwhaler

2000 of them are from just 4 people

+1 I'm sure some of the issues mentioned in this thread countless times are real but as a casual observer it seems that Burke is trending in the right direction. I hope to get up there for a day this season and if I do I'm sure the actual on snow ski experience will be just as great as it was last yr when I visited.
I stay out of the politics as I'm not that familiar with Burke---my only connection to the mountain is the 3 days I've skied there....all 3 days being great from the snow to the lifts to the food in the Tamarack Grill.