• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thoughts? Just saw it on the MRG Facebook page thought it was interesting. I think this sticker has probably been around for a while although I've never seen it.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/burton-sticker-collage-wall-mural/?pkey=cburton-shop

img8b.jpg

I did read before about the Burton recommendation to Poach, here in a 2007 Boston Globe article

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_...3/poaching_can_fetch_boarders_burtons_bounty/

That's the message from Burton Snowboards during a campaign designed to entice riders to document their experiences trying to ride at four North American resorts where snowboarding is banned.Burton's "Poacher Freedom" campaign is looking for the best snowboarding video at Mad River Glen in Vermont, Deer Valley and Alta in Utah, and Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico. The person or group with the top video from each resort wins $5,000.
In his pitch on the Burlington, Vt.-based company's website -burton.com/poachers - snowboarding pioneer and company founder Jake Burton calls the four areas "elitist" and "fascist," and the bans "Draconian."

AdironRider

I took part in the poach movement back in college.

It really showed the true colors of a lot of MRG's clientel. I got called a nigger (Im white) and all sorts of other stuff. It was pretty sad.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I took part in the poach movement back in college.

It really showed the true colors of a lot of MRG's clientel. I got called a nigger (Im white) and all sorts of other stuff. It was pretty sad.

Wow, really?

I skied MRG this past year and I had an awesome time. I don't really have a perspective on the snowboard or not thing, mostly because it didn't affect me at all; I feel like if there was a place that was snowboard only I wouldn't really have an issue with it, it's just a schtick in some ways.

In any event, you will always have A_holes on any side, and no one should have said that to you.

AdironRider

Wow, really?

I skied MRG this past year and I had an awesome time. I don't really have a perspective on the snowboard or not thing, mostly because it didn't affect me at all; I feel like if there was a place that was snowboard only I wouldn't really have an issue with it, it's just a schtick in some ways.

In any event, you will always have A_holes on any side, and no one should have said that to you.

Completely agree. I honestly wasn't affected that much personally. Just kinda shook my head at how some people act.

Honestly, within 20 years, probably less, MRG will integrate. Their old school attitude is just not going to fly when my generation is paying the bills. Still have some time for that to take effect.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The sticker is no surprise. In fact, Snowboarders poached MRG and made a video of it for a contest several years ago--either 2007 or 2008.

As to attitude, yes there is a vocal minority. We have them too at Alta. These few folks like to exclude people. Others just go with the flow and like the place. I would not let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel. And we have yet to have a snowboarder only place.

4aprice

Isn't this kind of old? I thought Taos allowed boards now. I always understood part of the reason MRG banned them was because of the single chair and derailments at the unloading station. DV and Alta obviously think there's a market for skier only. Fair or unfair its their business.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Mullen

That sticker has been around for a while....I've got one on the beer fridge from a few yrs back. I've earned my turns with my board a couple times at MRG and never heard a word from anyone else there, the place wasn't exactly open yet though, just others like myslef making the hike up. I do agree that it's only a matter of time, can't believe it hasn't happened yet it just doesn't make any sense to me.

AdironRider

Isn't this kind of old? I thought Taos allowed boards now. I always understood part of the reason MRG banned them was because of the single chair and derailments at the unloading station. DV and Alta obviously think there's a market for skier only. Fair or unfair its their business.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Taos has allowed boarders for at least a couple years now. Probably close to 5. It is awesome when they have snow.

It also had nothing to do with the single chair and everything to do with the owner back in the day getting her panties in a bunch because a snowboarder looked at her funny.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

It is actually a few years old. I just happened to run across it again today on the MRG page where they mentioned that Burton sticker product thing.

AdironRider

Sure the MRG spokesperson is not going to admit the owner back in the day was a bitch.... Consider the source, of course MRG is going to try and make themselves look in the right. Getting confronted on a bogus stance is no different than what you see on the local news everyday.

It is true that the shareholders vote, hence my "in 20 years when my generation pays the bills, it will change".

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

jaytrem

Sure the MRG spokesperson is not going to admit the owner back in the day was a bitch.... Consider the source, of course MRG is going to try and make themselves look in the right. Getting confronted on a bogus stance is no different than what you see on the local news everyday.

Of course there are two sides to every story. And I always consider the source. For instance, when I heard the single chair had nothing to do with the snowboard ban I noticed the source was you...

Were you around the Mad River Valley much in the late 80s? I was. I snowboard. I'd prefer to see the 3 remaining areas allow snowboarding. I may snowboard, but I'm not stupid enough to believe every snowboarder would be nice to ski area owning old ladies who won't let them on a chairlift. I suspect she might have also been a bit feisty during some of the exchanges. What we do know is she turned down A LOT of cash to allow that place to remain what it is. I wish she never band the snowboarders, but I gotta respect her for not being greedy.

AdironRider

Of course there are two sides to every story. And I always consider the source. For instance, when I heard the single chair had nothing to do with the snowboard ban I noticed the source was you...

Were you around the Mad River Valley much in the late 80s? I was. I snowboard. I'd prefer to see the 3 remaining areas allow snowboarding. I may snowboard, but I'm not stupid enough to believe every snowboarder would be nice to ski area owning old ladies who won't let them on a chairlift. I suspect she might have also been a bit feisty during some of the exchanges. What we do know is she turned down A LOT of cash to allow that place to remain what it is. I wish she never band the snowboarders, but I gotta respect her for not being greedy.

Money really has nothing to do with this.

I wasnt around in the 80's, but you cannot honestly believe it was a bunch of asshole snowboarders and not some old lady with her head in the sand. I'm not saying there weren't some assholes, but she clearly egged it on. They weren't the problem, she made them a problem.

jaytrem

I wasnt around in the 80's, but you cannot honestly believe it was a bunch of asshole snowboarders and not some old lady with her head in the sand. I'm not saying there weren't some assholes, but she clearly egged it on. They weren't the problem, she made them a problem.

Have you ever met Betsy? It's not very nice to speak about her that way. Do you really know anything about this? Or is it all just hearsay?

AdironRider

Have you ever met Betsy? It's not very nice to speak about her that way. Do you really know anything about this? Or is it all just hearsay?

She openly excluded (and has a bunch of cronies who continue to do so) a whole demographic. This is 2012, I dont need, nor want, to know her personally to form an opinion on this.

Even if they shat on her carpet, offed her dog, and threatened to harm her, your saying three horrible people are reason to exclude all snowboarders? If she is so sensitive sally that someone toeing the line with her about it causes her to freak out, yeah she has her head in the sand.

Bene288

Rules are rules. Nothing you can do about it until more snowboarders buy in and sway the vote.

jaytrem

Even if they shat on her carpet, offed her dog, and threatened to harm her, your saying three horrible people are reason to exclude all snowboarders? If she is so sensitive sally that someone toeing the line with her about it causes her to freak out, yeah she has her head in the sand.

Three? So now you know it was only three? Lets say it's your grandmother being harressed. Just picture in your mind, a bunch of people coming up to your grandmother and cursing her out at her place of business and even around town. Well, we know how she can at least get it to stop when she goes to work. What would you suggest she do?

But you're right this is 2012. However she didn't ban them in 2012, it was like 20 years ago. My gut says she would have come around and unbanned them by now. Times have indeed changed. Unfortunatly I think it will take a lot longer for the co-op.