• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 3 Ski Areas in Pennsylvania?

Mikey1

Does anyone have any info on WhiteTail or Liberty? I will be traveling I-81 for the next 4 years as my daughter is attending James Madison University in Virginia. How far off the highway are they? Looks like they both offer night skiing, any other comments about the terrain and or amenities? Thanks.

ScottySkis

Night skiing in PA can be a lot of fun, and it's a good place to take beginners.

Other than that, I kindof have to agree with #3 in the above post, but I'd add the DAX as a shorter drive alternative.

Would go with Blue Mountain as #1, Camelback #2, Shawnee #3 - with the caveat I've never been to Elk, which I hear is the real #1

I really need to try elk, I been to Blue once and it was okay.
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Anklebiter

1. Elk Mountain: I just wish they had some tree/glade skiing. It a little far (3 hrs), but worth the drive.
2. Blue Mountain: They would be #1, but location hurts their snow quality and it get crazy crowded on weekends.
3. Camelback: I agree with many of the same reasons, already stated. It's usually the first places I ski each year.

Blue knob would be top one or two if they ever put some real money into snowmaking. I've never skied it, but I have a couple friends that do and that's there biggest complaint. Also, they are hurt by their location, not close to any metro areas. I would love to ski it after a big storm, though.

I haven't skied Shawnee, Bear Creek, Big Boulder or Sno Moutain (Montage) in years, so I can't really comment on them. Never skied Alpine, Roundtop, Seven Springs, Liberty.

I actually like skiing Jack Frost during the week, when there are no crowds. I know it's veritically challenaged, but always seem to have a good time.

Last edited:

Anklebiter

I haven't had the chance to really enjoy the beverages at the mountains, since we are always driving 1 1/2 to 3 hours home afterward. If we ever build a cabin on our lot (outside of Jim Thorpe). Then I would most definitely stick around for a few adult beverages.

4aprice- What's the Glen Lodge like? It looks like a cool place to hangout.

jimmywilson69

Does anyone have any info on WhiteTail or Liberty? I will be traveling I-81 for the next 4 years as my daughter is attending James Madison University in Virginia. How far off the highway are they? Looks like they both offer night skiing, any other comments about the terrain and or amenities? Thanks.

Those are my home mountains along with Ski Roundtop.

Round Top has the best snowmaking and smallest crowds. It faces the proper way and has some decent expert terain considering it's location. You will be able to see it as you approach Harrisburg from the north on I-81. It's about 18 miles and 25 minutes off of I-81.

Whitetail has the largest Vertical of the 3 mountains. the 3 expert trails on the back side are really good and tend to be much less traveled than the intermediate trails off of the Front Side which are serviced by a HSQ. The intermediate trails are all essentially the same trail, they aren't bad but they aren't interesting either. The resort also has good snowmaking, but the slopes face southeast. The place is a total mob scene on the weekends. by 9 AM there are very long lift lines. This mountain is fairly close to DC so lots of people come there on buses or as day trippers. Plus they have built a ton of vacation homes there. It is 26 miles and 41 minutes off of I-81. It's deceving how far it is from the Interstate as you can see it all the way across the Valley.

Liberty is the farthest off of I-81 and the closest to DC. This place is also a total shit show on the weekends. All of their "good" slopes face East, their snowmaking is probably the weakest of the 3 places. I would also say their terrain is also the weakest as well. I like to go their in late Feb or early march when it's corn harvesting season, because by 9:30, the intermediate and Expert slopes corn up really good.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM Me.

jimmywilson69

Blue knob would be top one or two if they ever put some real money into snowmaking. I've never skied it, but I have a couple friends that do and that's there biggest complaint. Also, they are hurt by their location, not close to any metro areas. I would love to ski it after a big storm, though.

you nailed Blue Knob right on the head. After or during a storm the place is great. Some of the better expert terrain in the State. However, their snowmaking is very outdated and low budget. I skied there a lot in college, but only when there was recent or current snow. Most of the time we went to 7 springs. They get more Lake Effect, but their expert terrain has much to be desired.

ERJ-145CA

I'd say Elk, Blue, Camelback. I've only been to Elk once but the snow was great and I like the trails and layout. I'd say Blue next mainly because of the vertical being over 1000' then Camelback - lots of trails, good lifts and excellent snowmaking. I visit Blue, Camelback and Shawnee regularly for my PA skiing. Shawnee is the closest PA area to me at 55 minutes away and is fun and they do a good job with the snowmaking but due to its more limited terrain I go there if I don't feel like skiing Jersey and don't feel like driving to the other PA areas or 2 hours to the Catskills.

Skier4life

Though an incredibly small hill, I take particular partiality to Shawnee Mountain as it's where I saw my daughter take her first turns. So my fun-factor experience was tremendously skewed.

The Poconos does tend to have that warm fuzzy feeling.

Camelback is of course a better mountain...I have not had the pleasure of going further west in PA to comment on the others, so my vote is for Camelback!

Philpug

1. Elk
2. Blue knob
3. Jack frost

While in my last years in PA, I didn't ski much there, just when i had to for business or a lost bet. I chose JF over the popular Blue not because of terrain, it doesn't have it, but much more for snow quality. JF's higher elevation on the plateau along with less skier traffic, gives JF the advantage over Blue where it is lower and higher traffic and poor grooming turns snow into ice topped with granulated sugar consistently makes some of the worst "snow" I ever have skied. If I had to ski Blue, I think would take up bowling as a winter activity...and I hate bowling.

Last edited:

SnowRock

I learned at Shawnee as well.. first on skis then on my board. Was a seasons pass holder there for a few years in HS but have not been in at least 15 years.

I agree with the consensus here but would go 1) Elk 2) Back 3) Blue. I haven't been to Blue in a bit, always felts that Camelback's snow seemed to be better so that it wasn't worth the extra 20-25 mins. Has that aspect gotten better with Blue?

With the winter that wasn't last year.. I still managed quite a few trips to Camelback and thought they did a great job with the snow given what they were up against.

I like Elk.. I'll get there a time or two instead of going to Hunter which is about the same drive.

jimmywilson69

I think the snow quality has improved at Blue, but I can't speak from experience. I haven't been there in years. Hopefully that will change this winter.

4aprice

1. Elk
2. Blue knob
3. Jack frost

While in my last years in PA, I didn't ski much there, just when i had to for business or a lost bet. I chose JF over the popular Blue not because of terrain, it doesn't have it, but much more for snow quality. JF's higher elevation on the plateau along with less skier traffic, gives JF the advantage over Blue where it is lower and higher traffic and poor grooming turns snow into ice topped with granulated sugar consistently makes some of the worst "snow" I ever have skied. If I had to ski Blue, I think would take up bowling as a winter activity...and I hate bowling.

I have hit some excellent snow at Frost and the glades there (yes they are actual glades but short) were interesting for the Pocono's. That mountain, unfortunately, just can't hold my interest.(I feel the same about Shawnee) Its too bad because we used to have a place at Arrowhead which is much closer to Frost then CBK. I also would have been very interested in the Northeaster Pass with all the Peak Resorts.

SnowRock, I've hit some good snow at Blue (2 seasons ago) and it was a blast but overall the higher elevation at Camelback helps them more. (IMO)

Alex

Lake Hopatong, NJ

rgrwilco

In my opinion, Jack frost is the best in NE PA, because it has the most to offer. The vert isn't much, but they promote tree skiing and are always adding off-map stuff. After a storm it can be a blast, and there is nothing else like it in the poconos, especially since ELK will kick you out for going off trail.

some photos of what they added last year http://www.jfbb.com/explore/media/photo/2011/10/31/fall-look-new-glades

There are top to bottom glades at frost as well. great place.

summit62

I think the snow quality has improved at Blue, but I can't speak from experience. I haven't been there in years. Hopefully that will change this winter.

I have skied Blue 2 or 3 times per winter for the last 8 winters or so. Snow quality has definitely improved. They have invested in some fan guns. That being said, Camelback still beats Blue in snowmaking with both capacity and quality. Camelback typically opens atleast a week earlier than Blue and is incrediably ambitious for a PA resort. They will open late November with the right temperatures (and have in the past) and always strive to make it to the first weekend of April.

Try the luge at Blue this winter, its good times!

Mikey1

Those are my home mountains along with Ski Roundtop.

Round Top has the best snowmaking and smallest crowds. It faces the proper way and has some decent expert terain considering it's location. You will be able to see it as you approach Harrisburg from the north on I-81. It's about 18 miles and 25 minutes off of I-81.

Whitetail has the largest Vertical of the 3 mountains. the 3 expert trails on the back side are really good and tend to be much less traveled than the intermediate trails off of the Front Side which are serviced by a HSQ. The intermediate trails are all essentially the same trail, they aren't bad but they aren't interesting either. The resort also has good snowmaking, but the slopes face southeast. The place is a total mob scene on the weekends. by 9 AM there are very long lift lines. This mountain is fairly close to DC so lots of people come there on buses or as day trippers. Plus they have built a ton of vacation homes there. It is 26 miles and 41 minutes off of I-81. It's deceving how far it is from the Interstate as you can see it all the way across the Valley.

Liberty is the farthest off of I-81 and the closest to DC. This place is also a total shit show on the weekends. All of their "good" slopes face East, their snowmaking is probably the weakest of the 3 places. I would also say their terrain is also the weakest as well. I like to go their in late Feb or early march when it's corn harvesting season, because by 9:30, the intermediate and Expert slopes corn up really good.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM Me.

Thanks for this info. I will try to hit each of these areas as well as Blue sometime during the next 4 years. Will also try to hit Massanuten in Virginia, as that's pretty close to her campus.

rev bubba

Elk: Most New England feel
Blue: Always enjoyed this place
Shawnee: I'm biased because I taught there for over 20 years and my son's were on the race team

I learned to ski at Blue Knob in the late sixties but have not been back since 1970. I skied Seven Springs every season for years since the Mid-Atlantic Race finals were held there. (not really sure anymore if that was the actual title of the event which was moved to Elk)

I still go back to Shawnee now and than to ski with old friends and I've remained close to the ski school. If I ever return to teaching, I would do it at Shawnee. Living in NJ, it is the most convenient PA mountain for me to get to.

Last edited:

Wavewheeler

c
the main reason being the same amount of time it would take to get there would put me in Vermont if I travel north instead of west.

I'm in a similar situation in that if I'm going for a day trip I'll head out to the eastern Poconos but if I'm going to be driving 2+ hours I might as well go north.

Shawnee is the closest at about 90 minutes and I find Shawnee to be great for kids and rather charming but only driving a bit further takes me to Camelback, which I find much more interesting and fun to ski.

I only ski during the week, so weekend crowds/traffic isn't a factor. I'm driving home when everyone else is driving in. :smile:

I've only skied Camelback and Shawnee but I'm considering trying Elk or Blue Mountain if the Poconos get a good dumping this year. Last year I got out to Camelback once in mid January and the snow was man made and it wasn't bad at all. I had a good time and always planned to go back but it got too warm and I had to travel further north to do any decent skiing. Let's hope this winter is a big improvement over last!

If I'm doing an overnighter with a few days of skiing planned I'll drive the extra few hours to the Catskills, Daks or Vermont. If I'm going to spend the time and money I try to get the best/most skiing in possible.

4aprice

c

I'm in a similar situation in that if I'm going for a day trip I'll head out to the eastern Poconos but if I'm going to be driving 2+ hours I might as well go north.

Shawnee is the closest at about 90 minutes and I find Shawnee to be great for kids and rather charming but only driving a bit further takes me to Camelback, which I find much more interesting and fun to ski.

I only ski during the week, so weekend crowds/traffic isn't a factor. I'm driving home when everyone else is driving in. :smile:

I've only skied Camelback and Shawnee but I'm considering trying Elk or Blue Mountain if the Poconos get a good dumping this year. Last year I got out to Camelback once in mid January and the snow was man made and it wasn't bad at all. I had a good time and always planned to go back but it got too warm and I had to travel further north to do any decent skiing. Let's hope this winter is a big improvement over last!

If I'm doing an overnighter with a few days of skiing planned I'll drive the extra few hours to the Catskills, Daks or Vermont. If I'm going to spend the time and money I try to get the best/most skiing in possible.

Definately do Blue and Elk if the Pocono's get good snow this year (A few forecasts have said they will). Both are worth the trip. Elk for you is probably as far for you on the shore as the Catkills but worth it. Blue has very good lighting so nights there are worthwhile as well. As long as you accept the Pocono's are what they are and the weather cooperates use them.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

poconovfr

ok having grown up in the poconos and pretty muched ski here still.......dam......and having worked at many of the above discussed hills and still work at one of said hill.....dam.....and watching these ski areas grow from the seventies till now.......

Shawnee: The only new trail to be added in the past twenty years was that silly thing Renagade. Stupid trail. The addition of the quad was nice but really how fast do you need to climb seven hundred feet. Great for families and kids and never crowded thanks to the quad. Lodge can become crowded but here's the locals tip,if you are over twenty one no one is ever in the down stairs bar. Good place to eat and chill. Mgt. won't let things bump so don't expect to see any. If it's a midweek pow day you can run fresh for hours becuase no one skis there midweek. If you like to race you can run NASTAR on weekends. You can fly thru the course no lines in the afternoon. The park is good for what they have to use. If you are going there alone to ski chances are you will be bored in a couple hours,if you are taking the family you'll have a ball. Snow quality is good and grooming is usually above average. Doesn't get near as scraped off as Camelback or Blue by the afternoon. Do stay away from it midweek nights as it is a whore house for school groups.

Camelback: Massive terrain expansion in the last 15 years and two high speeds make this the place to ski. Great snowmaking system and most of the groomers ski. They will let things bump up and leave them as long as possible. Best woods skiing of all the mountains...just don't get caught. Most of it is lift served some you have to hike for. Park is great and as Alex mentioned you can hide in there on the weekends especialy when the place is zoo like. Ski it midweek days and you are basically alone. It has gotten busier with midweek passes at $199 but still no one there. Ski it on a weekend and feel like a cow at a slaughter house. School groups are plentiful midweek nights as well but usually cleared out by 7:30-8. Locals tip: Wednesday night race league. Find yourself a roster spot and it's twenty bucks for two race runs an all mountain night ticket and dinner. Tough to beat.

Blue:Another massive terrain expansion with the addition of a new lodge and parking area and high speed six pack lift Good snow making system and ok grooming. They also let things bump up. Weekends aren't near as bad as Camelback but it's still pretty busy. Different crowd completely from Camelback or Shawnee. Good terrain balance for all skiing abilties. It is kinda of pain in the ass to get to compared to the first two. There is good woods skiing but you're best off finding a local who now's his way around. If we ever get another good dump I'd ski it right behind Camelback. Midweek nights are a blast and yes it is true some of the locals are drunks. I only say this because I dirt bike in the summer with these guys and...well they're still drunk from the winter.

Jack Frost/Big Boulder: These guys actually get more snow and hold colder temps then all the other areas except Blue Knob it's just sad they are so dam little. The smartest thing these guys did was make Boulder a park. Locals tip...you bet yet another twenty dollar race night. Every other Tuesday at Boulder. Jack frost is a good hill,crowds are small on the weekends non-existant midweek. Great place to take a chic for a date kinda mountain......never liked a ski hill I parked at the top and skied down, I'm funny that way.

Alpine: Great family hill for the family just getting started skiing. Great bar.

Snow Mt. Not sure what to make of that place anymore????

Elk Mt. By far the best terrain in Pa. My thoughts on this ski area are torn. If they'd put a high speed in I'd be a pass holder tomorrow.....but if they put a high speed in would it be another Camelback? What if they put a high speed in and just used it midweek? That's it! Elk can catch lake effect snow and it's generally colder then most which is good 'cause there snowmaking system aint great by any stretch. They do let it bump and it can get crowded on the weekends. Locals tip: Watch for discount Fridays. Twenty buck tickets sold at area ski shops.
Anywhere else is outside the Poc's.

I'm a pass holder at both Camelback(midweek) and Shawnee(kids race program rocks, weekends) and still put a shift a week in at Shawnee at the repair shop. Both are minutes from my house and between all seven areas there's enough to keep things fun...or as fun can be expected from Pa's finest.

Last edited:

Wavewheeler

Definately do Blue and Elk if the Pocono's get good snow this year (A few forecasts have said they will). Both are worth the trip. Elk for you is probably as far for you on the shore as the Catkills but worth it. Blue has very good lighting so nights there are worthwhile as well. As long as you accept the Pocono's are what they are and the weather cooperates use them.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thanks for the heads up! :) Hopefully we will get more snow everywhere this year! I'm not adverse to heading up to Elk despite the added distance for an overnighter or even a day trip and if we get a really nice dumping I will definitely check out Blue. Sometimes we get more snow "down here" then up north, as in 2010-11, so you never know. :)

I used to go 4 wheeling out near Blue quite a bit so it's not ununsual for me to head out west as opposed to north. Last year, what little snow we did get was up north so that's where I went. If I saw "snow" on the map then I went there before it was gone! :lol: In mid March I was hiking up Hunter mountain in T shirt shorts rather than skiing down it! What kind of craziness was that? I hope we have more options this coming winter when it comes to skiing.

Last year was so dicey I went to Camelback based on their ability to make snow and it was a nice day out on the slopes, especially if you avoid the weekends. I'd like to expand my horizons this time around because with my schedule I can actually get out during the week for a nice day or two out.