• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Peak Lodge?

Huck_It_Baby

Did Killington build a new lodge on the top of Killington Peak? Anyone know the status of this?

Highway Star

Did Killington build a new lodge on the top of Killington Peak? Anyone know the status of this?

It's done, up at the top of Killington Peak. You need to walk up the actual top of the peak, follow the signs for catwalk, then keep going. Alternatively, you start skiing down great northern and take a hard right into the woods when the trail turns left.

powhunter

It's done, up at the top of Killington Peak. You need to walk up the actual top of the peak, follow the signs for catwalk, then keep going. Alternatively, you start skiing down great northern and take a hard right into the woods when the trail turns left.

Thats the real mans lodge

Puck it

Which would've had it completed for this December. they didn't get anything started last year due to Irene so they are a year behind.

Nope, I think it was always to be completed for Xmas 2013. Last year was the first year without the summit lodge during the winter.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The issue with the new lodge at the top is that there is only one way to get to it - up K1.

Well, in terms of construction I saw last year that they had fixed up the service road that runs from KBL along to the top of Snowshed, and then zig-zagging up near South Ridge and to the summit. So for the demo, they were running dump trucks pretty much non-stop from sun up to sunset and beyond trucking stuff down. The demo took most of last summer and I thought that the plan was to demo the building, do the site work, and then to put the foundation in place last year. Then came Irene......

The other issue is the very short construction season and the weather that slowed it down.

Puck it

It was 2yrs. And it was suppose to be completed this Xmas. When was it knocked down last summer or the summer before? It seems like it has been down only one year though.

Smellytele

Well, in terms of construction I saw last year that they had fixed up the service road that runs from KBL along to the top of Snowshed, and then zig-zagging up near South Ridge and to the summit. So for the demo, they were running dump trucks pretty much non-stop from sun up to sunset and beyond trucking stuff down. The demo took most of last summer and I thought that the plan was to demo the building, do the site work, and then to put the foundation in place last year. Then came Irene......

The other issue is the very short construction season and the weather that slowed it down.

I was talking about once it is completed and being used during ski season.

Telemechanic

Early Peak Lodge Announcement

Nope, I think it was always to be completed for Xmas 2013. Last year was the first year without the summit lodge during the winter.

KILLINGTON, Vt. (July 8, 2011) – Vermont’s Killington Resort, the largest snow sports resort in the East with the most diverse terrain, continues to work on a number of summer capital projects to enhance the skier and rider experience for the 2011-12 season.The removal of the Peak Lodge from Killington Peak, the most anticipated project, is under way and the tear down process is scheduled to begin in the next couple of weeks. In preparation for the new building, several infrastructure projects will take place this summer including installation of new waste water line and fiber optic lines from the Peak to the K-1 Lodge. The new foundation is expected to be in place this fall and construction of the new facility will continue in the summer of 2012 with an anticipated completion date of Christmas 2012.

http://www.killington.com/company/media/pressrelease.html?pressrelease=pressrelease110

steamboat1

Irene was a blessing. We got 2 new umbrella bars/deck + bathrooms at the bottom of Supe. That would've never happened otherwise.

As for the peak lodge. I hope they see some reward from the millions spent. It's going to take awhile if ever to see.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was talking about once it is completed and being used during ski season.

Oh yes, absolutely an issue in that it does have limited access. But IIRC they were going to market it for (very) high end weddings and conventions in the summer and off-season. Unfortunately expensive weddings are the only ones in Vermont these days. My wife and I only briefly looked at getting married in our home state (Vermont) and could not believe how absurd the prices were. We had a hell of a wedding on Mid-Coast Maine and got a much better bang for the buck.