• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Mike Solimano of Killington Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Mike Solimano, president of Killington, has agreed to participate in the 2012 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge!

The AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains in the northeast. For more information on the challenge itself, please see the stickied post at the top of the forum.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in theChallenge area when complete!

Caveats: we may edit/modify your question for grammar, tone, or similar. Questions may be merged. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives, but no promises.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain.

Killington Mountain Profile

2011 AZ Challenge Results
2009 AZ Challenge Results

2007 AZ Challenge Results
2005 AZ Challenge Results
2004 AZ Challenge Results

steamboat1

* Is replacement of the Snowdon fixed grip quad for a HSQ still on schedule for next year?

* Are you still planning on using the Snowdon fixed grip quad to replace the South Ridge chair & if so when do you think this will happen?

* Any chance of having the Skyeship gondola opening at 9am again instead of the 9:30am opening?

skiersleft

Thanks for being so forthcoming in your interviews. Very refreshing.

What are your plans for the interconnect? Any chance we see this happen within the next five years?

tt431

Are you going to be as aggressive blowing snow this winter, as you seem to be early, and try to extend the season into the end of May or even June , like the good old days?
Thanks in advance.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is Killington going to be open tomorrow?

Haha, no way will you get an answer to that this quickly.

My question is on the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge - the new vision that was recently laid out mentions a return of the BMMC. Last year, the event was cancelled for the first time in 31 years. The general reasoning given was that it had to do with state laws and regulation. With that said; what do you envision the BMMC to look like this year - given the constraints that state law provides?

boston_e

This year I went with Pico season passes for the entire family, however in the past I have done the express card, and think that is a great alternative option to a full season pass.

Would you ever consider again making the express card operate to give some discount at Pico as well as Killington, and would it ever be possible to have the Pico pass act as an express card at Killington? I understand that the Pico pass offers a 20% discount for a Killington lift ticket, which is a great benefit, but direct to lift access would be even better.

Smellytele

* Is replacement of the Snowdon fixed grip quad for a HSQ still on schedule for next year?

* Are you still planning on using the Snowdon fixed grip quad to replace the South Ridge chair & if so when do you think this will happen?
To add to this - if a chair is put in place on the south ridge any chance it could go to the top of killington peak? Well high enough to get to the new peak lodge being built?

MEtoVTSkier

This year I went with Pico season passes for the entire family, however in the past I have done the express card, and think that is a great alternative option to a full season pass.

Would you ever consider again making the express card operate to give some discount at Pico as well as Killington, and would it ever be possible to have the Pico pass act as an express card at Killington? I understand that the Pico pass offers a 20% discount for a Killington lift ticket, which is a great benefit, but direct to lift access would be even better.

You can use your Killington Express Card at Pico... and your 7th visit is FREE.

Express Card gives you 50 percent off weekday and 25 percent off weekend / peak* day ticket rates at Killington Resort, and $29 weekday and $39 weekend / peak* day ticket rates at Pico Mountain. NEW for the 2012-13 season, use your Express Card six times and your seventh visit will be FREE. Your free visit will be used automatically on your seventh visit and is valid any day during the 2012-13 season.

skiNEwhere

Thanks for being so forthcoming in your interviews. Very refreshing.

What are your plans for the interconnect? Any chance we see this happen within the next five years?

The response from last year

Chris Nyberg: I have a plan for the Interconnect of Killington and Pico and it’s sensible for all good reasons cited by Highway Star. As I have stated many times before, it’s our intent to connect the two mountains, but not in the first five years of our new ownership.
This decision has been made because we have many projects that needed to be completed before the Interconnect. For example, the Skye Peak Express Quad, major snowmaking pipes needed to be replaced, upgrading the Peak Facility, etc. As many of you know, the prior owner struggled financially in their later years and a number of capital upgrades and improvements did not get done that certainly should have. To date we have spent over $20 million in capital improvements and sadly not much of this money was for anything sexy, besides Skye Peak express.
We are getting closer to finishing these projects with the replacement of the Snowdon Quad in the headlights. Please keep in mind, our focus is on the quality of experience that our guests have at Killington and Pico, so we will improve lodges, trails, snowmaking and lift infrastructures so when we Interconnect, we can safely handle the additional visitation. Timing for the Interconnect and the Village is in the playbook.

skiNEwhere

To add to this - if a chair is put in place on the south ridge any chance it could go to the top of killington peak? Well high enough to get to the new peak lodge being built?

The response from last year

Snowdon Quad is certainly the next lift on the replacement list. As stated earlier, there have been numerous items that we needed to address prior to updating this lift. The Snowdon Quad will not be replaced next summer, our capital funds will be tied up in finishing the new Peak Facility. We certainly hope to replace this lift in the next several years with a high speed quad. We have no plans to run a second lift to the peak. Eventually, the replacement for the South Ridge Triple will terminate at the same location. There is no viable unloading point at the Peak for an additional lift.

skiNEwhere

* The Sunrise Triple use to extend all the way down to US-100, but it was shortened in the mid 90's, with the previous owners stating that low snowfall due to lower elevation, and lower skier volume was the reasoning behind the truncation. The original reasoning behind opening up sunrise was to expand southeast towards parker's gore, but this was put on hold because this area was believed to be a bear habitat. Is there any plan to re-open sunrise, or build in parker's gore? I could see a benefit in real-estate in that area if the economy turns around.

millerm277

Is there any plan to re-open sunrise, or build in parker's gore? I could see a benefit in real-estate in that area if the economy turns around.

Just to note, while they can reopen Sunrise any time they want, they traded the land in Parker's Gore for the Interconnect land, so that's no longer a realistic possibility.

oakapple

My question about the Interconnect, is whether the new inbound lift would go to the top of Ramshead, putting those trails back into service?

(With Vermont's trend of warmer winters for the last 20 years, lower Sunrise would be an extravagance. They'd get perhaps 2½ good months out of it every year. The Interconnect would have SO much more bang for the buck.)

RENO

Haha, no way will you get an answer to that this quickly.

My question is on the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge - the new vision that was recently laid out mentions a return of the BMMC. Last year, the event was cancelled for the first time in 31 years. The general reasoning given was that it had to do with state laws and regulation. With that said; what do you envision the BMMC to look like this year - given the constraints that state law provides?
To add to this: Will the BMMC happen end of March/early April like most recent years or return to the old schedule of mid April?

skiur

With the dew tour not being held on bear this year, how have your plans changed on when and where snowmaking will be handled this year? Will some of the trails that were forgotten last year like DF get some love this year?

steamboat1

Are there any plans to add more summer activities to the mountain such as a zip line, mountain coaster, water slide or bungee jumping etc. to attract more people to the mountain during the off season?

SKIQUATTRO

my question is about Killington's little sister down the road, Pico: what are the operational/snowmaking plans for the 2012/2013 season and beyond? True, last year mother nature didnt supply a ton of natural, but Pico really lacked in firing up the guns...it hurt to come over the ridge on the Summit chair, look across and see K under a full gun assault when there wasn't 1 gun firing at Pico. We are season pass holders, drive 4.5-5 hrs every weekend from mid December to the end of March as my girls race for Pico. Hopefully Urrl will reap this year, but if not, will Pico step up? also, why not mow Exhibition? thats the first trail you see, make look nice...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.