• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Will Open Tomorrow

snoseek

I got Monday and Thursday free this week. Anyone gonna be spinning???

steamboat1

Good move allowing season/express pass holders only. They are charging express pass holders $25 so they are selling tickets. If they were to sell tickets to the general public what would they charge? I'd think $35-$40 the most for only one trail, lets make it $50 for the sake of express pass holders paying $25. Don't forget there are a boat load of early season 2 for 1 tickets circulating. Heck if you didn't have a 2 for 1 already you could still get one on line right now & print it out (see skiing on the cheap thread). The place would likely be a mob scene that couldn't be handled by one trail & one narrow stairway.

On one hand they are getting great publicity & creating good will with their pass holders opening up tomorrow but at the same time seem to be alienating others. I'm not sure how that will work out in the long run. I think they're doing the right thing. Give them some time to open up more terrain & lifts before allowing the masses in. By the time they do other areas will have opened alleviating the stress of only one area/one trail for the whole NE to ski.

snoseek

This is the ultimate pass holder appreciation party!!! You K skiers deserve this big time, have fun.

I do think it will still be a full on shitshow, maybe more tolerable though.

steamboat1

Now if they went ahead and lowered their trail count by removing some of their BS trails I'd have a lot more respect.
I thought the same thing at one time but it actually does make sense for them to name some trails upper, middle & lower. Often they only open one section of a trail at a time. If they were to list a trail not broken up into sections as open you would think the whole trail is open but that is often not the case & would be misleading. It allows them to give a more accurate trail report & us a better understanding of exactly what is open.

Rogman

I thought the same thing at one time but it actually does make sense for them to name some trails upper, middle & lower. Often they only open one section of a trail at a time. If they were to list a trail not broken up into sections as open you would think the whole trail is open but that is often not the case & would be misleading. It allows them to give a more accurate trail report & us a better understanding of exactly what is open.
Last few years Killington early season has been very good about reporting trail counts. Typically you'd see a report that says "ten trails open, skis like four." They also report acreage open, and in fact, the trail count once 150, is down a bit to something like 142.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
They'll easily be able to blast Rime with plenty of snow to keep it fresh all weekend but it's probably more a matter of lift congestion and trail congestion.
Not an issue at all. That happened when they opened last year: long lift lines for a single trail. Congestion is synonymous with Killington early season, demand always exceeds availability on weekends in October.

thetrailboss

Staff member

skiersleft

By the criteria set out by one of K's biggest fans two weeks ago or so, this would not count! :lol:

If K opens before Sunday River today, they opened before SR regardless of whether they close on Sunday. However, if they close Sunday or today - and given the forecast I assume they will - they cannot claim the days in between when they close and whenever they open again as days towards their longest season claim. Thus spoke Skiersleft.

And Mister Moose's silence is more deafening than ever. I'm waiting for you to admit defeat at the hands of the all mighty Weather God also known as Skiersleft.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If K opens before Sunday River today, they opened before SR regardless of whether they close on Sunday. However, if they close Sunday or today - and given the forecast I assume they will - they cannot claim the days in between when they close and whenever they open again as days towards their longest season claim. Thus spoke Skiersleft.
I appreciate your internal consistency in incorrectly referring to longest season when actually meaning highest total days. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member

And Mister Moose's silence is more deafening than ever. I'm waiting for you to admit defeat at the hands of the all mighty Weather God also known as Skiersleft.

Yes, but if Sunday River was doing this, you'd be singing a different tune my friend.

skiersleft

I appreciate your internal consistency in incorrectly referring to longest season when actually meaning highest total days. :)

I've always believed that being right is overrated. It's consistency that counts. Turns out, however, that I'm both right and consisten in this matter. Consistently right I would say! :grin:

jaybird

Tisk Tisk ... how are the conditions in Utah today?
We hear it's kinda dry out there right now ...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tisk Tisk ... how are the conditions in Utah today?
We hear it's kinda dry out there right now ...

You hear wrong. I was at Brian Head yesterday and they had just received 4-5 inches. The snowcam at Snowbird shows 4 inches of new snow. Life is good man. Thanks for asking.

jaybird

stilll...gonna need 4-5 feet to make it real.
Buddies in JH are done fighting forest fires.
Snow King almost got wiped out.
You'll get yours .. make a Ullr offering :beer:

JimG.

Staff member
K wins, whatever that really means.

And in my opinion making these very early turns a season pass holder or express passholder only event is pure genius.

skiNEwhere

How many trails does K really have? I've heard 200 many times but I think that is including Pico. Is it like 142?