• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mittersill Expansion Map

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably a good time to buy real estate at Mittersill. I'm sure the few who have property over there will see a nice rise in their home values from Mittersill consistently being open.

As for the augmentation of the terrain, I'm not all that surprised. Many suspected the lift was akin to opening Pandora's box. I'm sure it will still be a great place to ski. I imagine such changes will drive even more "woods improvement projects" by individuals.

Puck it

"woods improvement projects" by individuals.

Whatchu-talkin-bout-Willis.jpg

AdironRider

Probably a good time to buy real estate at Mittersill. I'm sure the few who have property over there will see a nice rise in their home values from Mittersill consistently being open.

As for the augmentation of the terrain, I'm not all that surprised. Many suspected the lift was akin to opening Pandora's box. I'm sure it will still be a great place to ski. I imagine such changes will drive even more "woods improvement projects" by individuals.

I was so pissed when my offer on a lot at the base (listed for only 15k!) a couple years back got denied as someone came in all cash and paid 5k over asking. In retrospect, I shouldve offered 25k and gotten it. Wouldve been a cool spot.

prophet0426

Cannon Fail.....

I really hope it does not go thru. They can keep Ravine and Gary's. Leave Mitty.
The following is the problem.

Two significant areas will be cleared - the Baron's Run will be widened for top to bottom (to be closed to the public for racing up to 15% of the time) and the middle section will be turned into a massive slope (to be closed to the public for racing use up to 50% of the time).

You knew it would only be a matter of time. once it was even talked about, you knew... Not surprised at all unfortunately.. I'm sure the same thing is going to eventually happen at Bretton Woods, and every other place that gets the green light to expand with glades.. Do you think the Sugarloaf is going to leave there expansion as is or SaddleBack for that matter, no way. I say within 5 years lift will be installed and trails will be cleared. Funny that Cannonball and I have this discussion all the time. We did think that Cannon would leave it be though for longer then this, but the Cannon machine is already at work... Really an epic fail if it happens....

Puck it

You knew it would only be a matter of time. once it was even talked about, you knew... Not surprised at all unfortunately.. I'm sure the same thing is going to eventually happen at Bretton Woods, and every other place that gets the green light to expand with glades.. Do you think the Sugarloaf is going to leave there expansion as is or SaddleBack for that matter, no way. I say within 5 years lift will be installed and trails will be cleared. Funny that Cannonball and I have this discussion all the time. We did think that Cannon would leave it be though for longer then this, but the Cannon machine is already at work... Really an epic fail if it happens....

aka HighwayStar. Just bustin!

Are you coming up more this year?

Puck it

Haha!! I like that name...

Yeah if the snow is there, and the trails down here are covered and I'm not able to ride then yeah I'll be there! Oh wait where is there?

Ride and slide. You can do both.

We can't tell you. We would have to kill you

Smellytele

I was so pissed when my offer on a lot at the base (listed for only 15k!) a couple years back got denied as someone came in all cash and paid 5k over asking. In retrospect, I shouldve offered 25k and gotten it. Wouldve been a cool spot.

I was looking into a lot there about that time to but never put in a bid.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wouldn't be quite as belligerent about this if it was just Baron's and if BR retained some turns without clear line of sight. But the gash up the middle is crazy. It looks more massive than the slope in the original footprint. It is beyond adding insult to injury.

Re: widening of Baron's

Regrettably the FIS and NCAA now require that trails be much wider and straighter than in the past. The NCAA for instance made Middlebury and Dartmouth (under huge protest) regrade their race trails which were circa 1960's if not earlier because of at least one serious accident involving a Midd racer a few years back that left her paralyzed. So if the slope is going to be certified/homologated, it needs to be a certain width.

x10003q

Gore runs it just like you would expect, you can cross at certain times. I think you wait like 30 seconds.

Gore closes Twister at the start of the trail also cutting off access to Twister Glades and Echo. They also rope the bottom of Showcase even though the trail is over 200 feet wide and has plenty of room skiers right of the HS3 to get to the bottom. In fact they usually have the catch fences to the skiers left of the HS3 on lower Showcase. I have not seen skiers and sliders being allowed to cross an active course at Gore.

Cannonball

6 pages of discussion here and 4 more over at Snowjournal. Yet nobody can identify the source of this info beyond a politically-driven website? I'll delay my wig-flipping until I hear that this is real and the context in which it's proposed.

Puck it

6 pages of discussion here and 4 more over at Snowjournal. Yet nobody can identify the source of this info beyond a politically-driven website? I'll delay my wig-flipping until I hear that this is real and the context in which it's proposed.

Horizon engineering is a real firm in Littleton and they do ski resort planning. That is all I have found.

skiberg

That map is pretty accurate. I have seen the actual "prints" on the development and it is very close. The prints I saw contained lights but I think the cutting proposed is very close. And yes the intent is for the course to be certified and homologated. USSA wants this to happen, they need the training space on the east coast and want to bring World Cup racing back to the east coast. It won't be men's SG but will accommodate top level international racing. BTW that does not mean Mitt. WILL host this level of racing but it will be available if USSA is able to make it happen. That's still a ways in the future.

Cannonball

Horizon engineering is a real firm in Littleton and they do ski resort planning. That is all I have found.

For sure. I'm not saying it's not legit. Just saying that it's not on Cannon's dedicated Mittersill expansion page, it's not on FSC's page, Google searches of every variation of "Mittersill Expansion Project" only turn up older news or this map on AZ, SJ, and TFC...all linked back to TFC. So the ONLY available source of this information that I can find comes from someone who has, in past, created his own information then cited it as news. I would just like to see ALL of the information from the ORIGINAL source before getting too deep into a discussion about it.

witch hobble

So the ONLY available source of this information that I can find comes from someone who has, in past, created his own information then cited it as news. I would just like to see ALL of the information from the ORIGINAL source before getting too deep into a discussion about it.

+1
I'll delay my wig-flipping until I hear that this is real and the context in which it's proposed.

+1. I already wig-flipped out at rocket/threecy over at sj a couple weeks back. He seems to be avoiding posting in this forum for about the last year. I don't have a lot of time or emotion wrapped up at Mittersill or in racing, so I'm on the fence until something more official is presented.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With all due respect to riv,who had much love as did I for the closed Mittersill,the proposed widening of slopes and trails still leaves the mt probably 30% less cleared than at its peak.I can understand the resistence to bring part of the original terrain back but really folks,do you believe it is better to let a lost ski area grow back and not be skiable at all.Cannon will never be allowed to clear any more than was cleared in the past.Not sure whats so wrong with that looking at the large picture.Would those of us that enjoyed the overgrown Mittersill like to see it stay like it was a few years ago?Sure but thats not reality.I say much better to see that ski area revived than than to see it end up like all the other lost areas.fwiw the cleared slope proposed is pretty much how it looked 20 years ago.
I don't think we should decide what to do currently based on what the area was once like. I don't buy that line of thinking, appealing to history. The area closed and the trails grew in and the mountain developed a well known identify. When the mountain closed, it changed not through willful action but through in action and not having a plan. That is a different story than willfully changing it back and changing its current identity. It is the difference between unwillful neglect and natural change vs. willful and active change despite current identify. An appeal to history is not a good argument for moving forward with this plan (there may be good arguments, but I am opposed to them as well :) ).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That little chute if it is the one that I am thinking fills in nice and has a good pitch. Very tight. That will be loss. I really see nothing good out of this but the snowmaking near the bottom of the lift where their is an issue.
The map is clearly mis-labeled. The cut back would have to still be the existing cut back. The area labeled as the cut back on the map would not be advisable for the average skier.