• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summit Ski in Framingham MA?

newskier

Has anyone ever used Summit Ski in Framingham MA to have bindings mounted? Were you satisfied with the work? I have a pair of skis I got at the end of last season (not at Summit--I had to order them online, as pretty much everyone was sold out by the time I got them) and I need to have the bindings mounted.
I could just wait until I go to VT and have Northern Ski do it, but I have no idea when I'll get up there.
So, if Summit is likely to do a good job, I'd just as soon get it done there so that the skis are ready to use. Any experiences?
Thanks

gostan

Has anyone ever used Summit Ski in Framingham MA to have bindings mounted? Were you satisfied with the work? I have a pair of skis I got at the end of last season (not at Summit--I had to order them online, as pretty much everyone was sold out by the time I got them) and I need to have the bindings mounted.
I could just wait until I go to VT and have Northern Ski do it, but I have no idea when I'll get up there.
So, if Summit is likely to do a good job, I'd just as soon get it done there so that the skis are ready to use. Any experiences?
Thanks
I have been dealing with Summit Ski forever. Geoff, Teddy, Paul, etc. know what they are doing ! There are some newbies (who I would avoid-same as at any shop including Northern) since they moved from the old intimate digs (which I miss) into the larger former Ski Market space. So, binding mounting is a-ok - just deal with Geoff, Paul, Teddy or Mike. But, what is really special at Summit is one of Mike de Santis (SkiMD.com) World Cup tunes! Mike is one of the best in the country. When I was there two weeks ago, he was tuning 200 pairs of Blizzard Bodacious skis that were shipped before blizzards factory was ready to tune those wide skis. Those Bodacious buyers are going to love their new wide sticks.

lots of luck on your new skis. What are they?

NotEasyBeingGreen

I've been wondering about others' experience at Summit Ski. I've been in there several times and there are some good sale prices at times. However, I was there a week ago looking for new boots - I thought I might want Solomons. Waited...waited...waited. Went to the check out counter to see if I could solicit some help there and honestly, two employees wandered by and and looked at me like I was a piece of furniture. There was zero interest in taking my money.

Went to Boston Ski + Tennis in Westborough (there's another one - I think in Newton) and they were fantastic. Very helpful, not only to me but everyone that came in the door and it was busy that day. I've bought several items there from expensive to $10 and they're just as nice either way. Have had my husband's skis tuned there and they did a fine job. I will not go back to Summit.

wa-loaf

I can't really speak for the other stuff there, but the SkiMD tune is worth the money!

gostan

I've been wondering about others' experience at Summit Ski. I've been in there several times and there are some good sale prices at times. However, I was there a week ago looking for new boots - I thought I might want Solomons. Waited...waited...waited. Went to the check out counter to see if I could solicit some help there and honestly, two employees wandered by and and looked at me like I was a piece of furniture. There was zero interest in taking my money.

Went to Boston Ski + Tennis in Westborough (there's another one - I think in Newton) and they were fantastic. Very helpful, not only to me but everyone that came in the door and it was busy that day. I've bought several items there from expensive to $10 and they're just as nice either way. Have had my husband's skis tuned there and they did a fine job. I will not go back to Summit.
. Wow!.. I have been to Summit many many times and have never had that experience. But, I did have the opportunity to poke my head into Boston Ski & Tennis in Westborough after a biz lunch at Ted's Montana Grille, and I would say that that shop has more of the intimacy that Summit has lost due to its move to the former Ski Market cavern of a store that is simply way too large to effectively manage without a cadre of bodies. What day and time of the week were you at Summit?

snowmonster

I can't really speak for the other stuff there, but the SkiMD tune is worth the money!

Just got my skis back from that shop. Had SkiMd put a nice edge on the B Squads I thought the staff was pretty friendly. Granted, it was a slow day. Had a great conversation with some of the staff. Talked skiing and gear for about ten minutes. It's nice to find kindred spirits

shpride

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I had some PY skis that needed mounting. I havent picked them up yet but speaking with Geoff he sure seemed to know what he was talking about which is more than I can say for a lot of other places around here. I went there strickly because of their great reputation. I also got 2 other pairs of skis tuned there. I hopefully will pick them up soon and will know more then but the real test wont come until I can try them out on the slopes.

elks

I've fully trusted Summit with my skis for years and their service is top-notch. I recommend it without hesitation with the caveat that once you've experienced Mike's tuning, you'll feel like getting a new one every week. It's just that good!

yeggous

Bump. They have taken over the ski shop at Nashoba. That shop seems to change hands on a nearly annual basis. It'll be interesting to see what they bring.

elks

I think I recall that the Nashoba ski shop space is leased on a 3 year basis. I don't think the Nashoba location sends the skis to be tuned by Mike Desantis in their Framingham shop, which would be convenient. Maybe something available upon request.

octopus

i took a small chunk out of the base of my snowboard and brought it to them, i thought it was a big deal. i think mike ptexed it and didn't think i should worry about it, and he didn't even charge me! seems like a good place to me.

bttocs

I bring all my skis to Mike, they are perfect after he does them. I have nothing but good things to say about the store.

TheArchitect

I've been taking my skis to Summit for years and have always been happy with the results.

shpride

I will be picking up my skis there on Wednesday. I will only buy, mount, and tune at Summit. They are the only people I trust in the area. It's worth th 45 minute drive for me.

RISkier

Haven't done any real business at the shop other than with Mike. I had a pair of skis "tuned" at a local shop. They were virtually not skiable. Took them into the shop where I was skiing and they looked at the edges and they said they were completely messed up and they didn't know if they could be saved. A friend said to try SkiMD and if Mike couldn't fix them, they couldn't be fixed. I got a couple more years out of those skis. But I really can't speak to the rest of the shop.

kskis20

How are they with prices? I have rented at sport thoma for the last couple years and have been really satisfied with them, however as I have become more interested in backcountry trips in the presidentials, I am looking to get one full setup that can be used for 75% resort skiing and 25% backcountry. I know summit has marker f10 bindings which would be perfect but I'm trying to get a full setup ( skis boots bindings poles skins) for no more 1300$. For those who know this shop well, do you think they could do this? I would be fine with getting a decent pair of last years model skis and boots if necessary.