• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for Whistler

Angus

Headed there for February school vacation. lodging tickets meals - suggestions and recommendations. nothing fancy with accommodations. I like clean, simple, safe and convenient. going with HS-aged child. thanks in advance.

Huck_It_Baby

I stayed here at the Listel a few years ago and found it to be very clean, comfortable and convenient. The room was spacious and there was a hot tub, heated pool, work out room, bar if I remember.

It was right near all of the shops,bars and food in the village and you could walk to the lifts!

http://www.listelhotel.com/

Last edited:

snowmonster

Thumbs up also on the Listel. It was near the lift, comfortable and cheap. Also stayed at the Holiday Inn once. We had a kitchen so we cooked a few meals to save on money. That said, if you have cooking skills, you're probably better off with a studio with a kitchen to save a few bucks. There's a grocery in the village for most grocery needs (expensive though but you pay for the convenience). Actually, you can't go wrong if you live in the village. The price points will determine where you ultimately stay.

Have a Zog's dog before you go. It's fun and cheap. If you like sushi, go to Sushi Village. I would avoid the mongolian grill if I were you. Unless you're into that type of thing and know how to manage your costs, you end up spending too much.

If you've never been there, get one of those Skiing and Snowboarding Whistler books. There's an expert and intermediate version. Study it before you get there so you know where to go.

If you want to splurge on an on-mountain meal. Go to Christine's in the Rendezvous. Get table service, a steak and a glass of wine for slightly more than the cost of cafeteria food.

Angus

thanks. check onlined for availability at Listel and they say there is none which I'm skeptical about and will investigate. Couple of follow-ups, reading I see alot of people mention noise. I think we will ski, eat, sleep and repeat - won't be going to bars and dancing all night. What area -village, creekside, alpine meadows, etc - is on the quiet side? Also, I was planning on renting a car and driving up but looking at website I see a lot of warnings about road closures, chains, etc. any opinions about how often. etc.

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
I went there 2 years ago and stayed right in Whistler Village at the Mountainside Lodge (http://bit.ly/fClOSe). It was really close to the lift... just walked around a building and you were basically there. I also was there to mostly ski-eat-sleep-repeat... but you're close enough to at least walk into the village and eat/shop without having to drive anywhere. And I don't remember it being too noisy either.

Not sure about road closures and stuff like that.

Good luck and have a great trip! Whistler is amazing. If you take a day off skiing make sure to do the zip-line tour.

gregnye

I did a bed and breakfast five minutes from whistler---It was good and the people were so nice! There was also an awesome outdoor taco place nearby! You will love Whistler!! I personally like Whistler mountain better than Blackcomb though. Be sure to check out the Peak Express area, and the Symphony--do it early (don't get stuck when it closes!) Blackcomb has a good area on the glacier express though (the rest of it is--in my opinion, not as fun, although 7th Heaven is pretty cool.) Each mountain deserves a whole day investigation (although you should ride the Peak 2 Peak just for kicks--but be aware that this is a 20 minute ride one way)

Whistler is my Favorite mountain!! I tell people at Vail this when they think they are the "coolest" etc. Because honestly, i don't believe in scented candles and "tissue greeters" that they have at Vail--too much froof! Whistler has the right amount of elegance and skiing--a great balance!!!! :spin:

**"Tissue Greeters" Definition: employees that stand at the door of the Vail Lodges and offer you tissues on your way in.

Angus

RE: "I did a bed and breakfast five minutes from whistler"

Name, web site? & thanks. just looked and most (all) car rental don't provide winter tires and don't allow chains so I think this may just be a disclaimer of sorts. did you guys all rent cars or take bus/public/private transportation up?

SnowRock

I drove.. pre-highway expansion in the middle of the night after a direct flight from JFK during a storm. We rented an SUV and made it up fine.. though exhausted. Did get stuck up there the night we were supposed to leave with a road closure and had to change flights. It was a pretty epic trip for us in terms of snowfall... something like 60 inches over 5 days. Not a lot of sunshine and the peak chair only opened on our last day. We got a tip from a friendly local that it was going to start spinning so were up front in line and watched a couple guys huck off of air jordan while we waited. Obviously with the snow an amazing trip. Drove back home during the day.. was kind of glad I couldn't see everything on the drive up.

jaytrem

The drive is easy, big difference from before they rebuilt the road and it wasn't even that bad then. Now going from Whistler to Sun Peaks is a different story.

gregnye

RE: "I did a bed and breakfast five minutes from whistler"

Name, web site? & thanks.

Sorry about that, What was I thinking!!? It is called "Cedar Springs B & B" Here is the website: http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/bc-whistler-cedarspringsbblodge.html

And here are the trip advisor reviews! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154948-d184876-Reviews-Cedar_Springs_Bed_and_Breakfast_Lodge-Whistler_British_Columbia.html#REVIEWS

These people are soo nice! They have an excellent breakfast too!

millerm277

What area -village, creekside, alpine meadows, etc - is on the quiet side?

You should also consider going through VRBO or something like that and renting a private residence. I stayed in a townhouse up above Creekside, it was fantastic. Quiet, ski-out to the gondola, about the same price as staying in a much smaller place at the village base was.

SnowRock

The drive is easy, big difference from before they rebuilt the road and it wasn't even that bad then. Now going from Whistler to Sun Peaks is a different story.

Yeah everyone scared us about making that drive the time our flight landed but I didn't think it was that bad. As you say, Have heard its even less of an issue now.

Also agree on looking at VRBO we did the same and got a pretty good deal.

millerm277

Also, if you are looking to save money, you will find it significantly cheaper to fly into Seattle than to fly into Vancouver.

Adds about 2.5hrs drive time, plus the border crossing. However, $200 cheaper per person in flying costs, makes it definitely worth considering.

I wouldn't worry about the drive at all. The highway post-olympics is quite nice and well-constructed (I was there right after the Paralympics ended, or about 2-3 weeks after the regular Olympics ended)....vastly better than many of the roads you have to take to access ski areas in the US. Getting through Vancouver is a pain in the a** no matter where you fly into though.

ScottySkis

Also, if you are looking to save money, you will find it significantly cheaper to fly into Seattle than to fly into Vancouver.

Adds about 2.5hrs drive time, plus the border crossing. However, $200 cheaper per person in flying costs, makes it definitely worth considering.

I wouldn't worry about the drive at all. The highway post-olympics is quite nice and well-constructed (I was there right after the Paralympics ended, or about 2-3 weeks after the regular Olympics ended)....vastly better than many of the roads you have to take to access ski areas in the US. Getting through Vancouver is a pain in the a** no matter where you fly into though.

Vancouver is that a great city?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

jaybird

Glacier Lodge, slopeside in the upper village has been perfect for us each time we've skied there.
... and ... Spanky's ladder is worth the ascent! Enjoy a Kokanee while there :beer:

SIKSKIER

I wouldn't worry too much about driving conditions to Whistler from Vancouver.Low elevation and near the coast means that highway is not the typical road to western resorts at high elevation.Unfortuanately that also means Whistler can get rain near the base but will certainly get snow up high because of the mile high vertical.One night we went to bed with 16 inches of snow on the deck and woke up the next day and it was all gone.Still had 4 feet up top.If it wer me and I was coming grom Vancouver I would not bother with a car.There is no need for one if your staying in the village.Take one of the many cheap bus options.

jaybird

...and/or you can rent a car and drop it while there.
Cheap Bus/Shuttle options are laborious...especially after a cross-country flight.
Sea and Sky (Rt 99) highway is one of the most Beauty drives you'll ever do !
Bring the fattest boards you've got.

millerm277

Still had 4 feet up top.If it wer me and I was coming grom Vancouver I would not bother with a car.There is no need for one if your staying in the village.Take one of the many cheap bus options.

You're right that you don't need one while you're there, but it's honestly worth it just to stop off at the overlooks along the Sea to Sky highway.

Huck_It_Baby

You're right that you don't need one while you're there, but it's honestly worth it just to stop off at the overlooks along the Sea to Sky highway.

This is so true. Sea to Sky is the most scenic and amazing road I have ever been on. I felt like I was watching a movie the whole ride!

dmc

My suggestion is to rent a car and drive to Kicking Horse or Fernie... :)