• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The New iPad Mini

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think it's a little overpriced but i'm also an Android guy.

What do you guys think?

One thing I don't get: the hyper pricing of increased memory on these units... this isn't an Apple complaint, goes for other manufacturers as well. . I just don't see how moving from 16 to 64GB could possibly justify a $200 bump in price. I could see each being seperated by $30 - $50, tops. They must make HUGE margins at the top end of this range.

16GB - $329
32GB - $429
64GB - $529

5iued.jpg

skiNEwhere

I don't get what consumer they are aiming at. Are there really that many users that complain "I want an Ipad but it's too big"?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't get what consumer they are aiming at. Are there really that many users that complain "I want an Ipad but it's too big"?
Doubtful bet I bet there are a lot of Apple fan boys that want an iPad but can't shell out $700 but might be okay with $529. Also, the mini allows Apple to compete with Google, Samsung, and Microsoft at a lower price point... even though the spec is also less than the competition at the same price.

The memory thing really is crazy when you look at how little the price difference is for SD cards. The memory footprint is the same regardless and it doesn't cost that much more for memory these days. I bet that device doesn't have an SD card port either that way you have to upgrade if you want more space.

Google has a device coming out with minimal memory because they want you using their cloud based solution. Not a fan. Cloud computing, okay. Cloud data storage? No thanks. I will keep my files local and not be potentially victimized by server outages, crashes, or potential theft or corruption issues. I know this is all rare if ever type stuff but there is too much potential...

wa-loaf

I was looking forward to this. I find it hard to justify $500+ for tablet device, but I was also hoping they would come in more around $200 closer to the Kindle Fire and other smaller tablets. I would have jumped at anything under $300, but now I'm going to wait a little longer. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a jump in specs sometime after Christmas.

Apple has a 40% margin on most of their products fyi.

bvibert

Staff member
Google has a device coming out with minimal memory because they want you using their cloud based solution. Not a fan. Cloud computing, okay. Cloud data storage? No thanks. I will keep my files local and not be potentially victimized by server outages, crashes, or potential theft or corruption issues. I know this is all rare if ever type stuff but there is too much potential...

My biggest complaint with using the "cloud" to store data is when you're not in range of a data signal. This is mostly a concern with a mobile device that you might be traveling with, particularly internationally. When I'm on a plane I want to be able to watch movies or listen to music without having to pay for in-flight wi-fi, if available.

bvibert

Staff member
One thing I don't get: the hyper pricing of increased memory on these units... this isn't an Apple complaint, goes for other manufacturers as well. . I just don't see how moving from 16 to 64GB could possibly justify a $200 bump in price. I could see each being seperated by $30 - $50, tops. They must make HUGE margins at the top end of this range.

I was most surprised by that too. The Nexus 7 is what, a $50 jump from 8gb to 16gb? Even that seems excessive with how cheap memory is these days.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My biggest complaint with using the "cloud" to store data is when you're not in range of a data signal. This is mostly a concern with a mobile device that you might be traveling with, particularly internationally. When I'm on a plane I want to be able to watch movies or listen to music without having to pay for in-flight wi-fi, if available.

With Google Music and Movies you can download to your device ("make available offline") for those situations. You just have to plan ahead for what you want to listen to / see

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bvibert

Staff member
With Google Music and Movies you can download to your device ("make available offline") for those situations. You just have to plan ahead for what you want to listen to / see

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm aware, but then you're using up space on the device, if you have a device with limited storage because it's meant to be used with the cloud then you run out quick. If I had bought the 8gb Nexus 7 instead of the 16gb I would have run out of space very fast. Even at 16gb I'm getting pretty close to being full.

dmc

Actually thinking about one for XMas...
I like the size for my traveling...

i also love the "cloud" - I have access to all my stuff.. Rarely do I not have an internet connection...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cloud computing, okay. Cloud data storage? No thanks. I will keep my files local and not be potentially victimized by server outages, crashes, or potential theft or corruption issues. I know this is all rare if ever type stuff but there is too much potential...

What about your bank account :uzi:

dmc

What about your bank account :uzi:

A bank is a "cloud" for storage and SaaS...
My bank stores my financial data and I access it from their website using optional software tools...

Anything I export down to my MAC goes to an encrypted directory.

dmc

Students... Frequent Travelers... PT Commuters...

When I'm crammed up in a coach seat - I think the smaller iPad would be more optimal...
Or if I'm reading something on the subway it would be great to have something that fits in my hand...
Also it could fit in a coat pocket wich is nice...

I get called a fanboy by some and I guess I am a big fan of Apple.. Lately I've bought into the Apple ecosystem more than the devices..
The way they've connected everything together with common OS's and cloud storage is seamless to me. Garage Band is essentially the same on my iPad and my MAC book.. And the songs get stored on the cloud so i can compose a song on the plane using my iPad and finish it later on my MAC.. Same goes with docs and spreadsheets...

If other devices integrated with it I'd consider them.. But I doubt that would happen; Introducing outside things into a tight ecosystem is asking for trouble.

For now it's the best option I have to truly keep myself in sync between my devices...

Philpug

We are Mac users. Mookbooks, iPhones, AppleTV. We love the way they talk to each other. If I put something on my phone, it is on my computer then I can look at it on the TV. We are trying to justify a iPad, and ideally a regular one, not the mini, I don't get it. if I want a smaller screen, I will use my iPhone5. If we could have an iPad with two users, perfect but as I understand they are "personal" devises.

dmc

I can't get an iPHone 5 for work.... sucks... Was checking out a friends last night... We did side by side comparisons with my iPhone 4 opening apps up and accessing the netand the 5 CRUSHED the 4...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
We are Mac users. Mookbooks, iPhones, AppleTV. We love the way they talk to each other. If I put something on my phone, it is on my computer then I can look at it on the TV. We are trying to justify a iPad, and ideally a regular one, not the mini, I don't get it. if I want a smaller screen, I will use my iPhone5. If we could have an iPad with two users, perfect but as I understand they are "personal" devises.

^I'm the same way with my Google stuff. I use Gmail, google drive, docs, Music, etc. so it's all there and easy to use and one device to the next is 100% seamless

wa-loaf

I think it's a little overpriced but i'm also an Android guy.

What do you guys think?

16GB - $329
32GB - $429
64GB - $529

View attachment 6752

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/ipad-mini-component-costs-estimated-to-begin-at-188/

Glenn

I'd like to see one up close. We have an iPad and a Kindle Fire. The Kindle is a bit easier to travel with. If you're on the road a lot, I could see the advantages of a smaller iPad that you could always have on you. Plus, I'm sure people will like the $329 entry price.