• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My Old Turntable...

Bumpsis

I use my turntable quite often, especially if I want to just listen to my classical music records. I find that the downloaded MP3 files sound like crap. I buy the new music (or replacement for my cassettes that will no longer work) in form of MP3 (Amazon, iTunes), but I am seriously disappointed in the quality of sound that comes out of an MP3 player when connected to my sound system. It sounds very tinny and thin. It's actually rather painful to listen to that. The MP3 player source is good when connected to my car stereo or over the headphones, but on my home system, it's just crap.
It's a bit better when I'm playing the same files off my laptop, but the quality of that sound still doesn't rival a well made CD or a well taken care of vinyl.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
〽❄❅;731303 said:
...so what do have down there? It could be better then you think.

All i listen to is tube two channel stereo. My favorite single ended tube amp only puts out 1.5 watts per channel from one 45 triode tube per side.

Oh, I know what I have down there....My parents were the original purchasers.....50 YEARS AGO!! Yes, that's right, some super delicious totally vintage McIntosh....from good old Binghamton, NY. I've got a set of an amp, pre-amp and a tuner, all with the stunning, rear-lit, glass-faced fronts. They need some work, but still put out a beautiful, soft, full-bodied sound and tone that is unmatched IMHO, 50 years later.

GD Wall of Sound-watermark.jpg

The Dead's Wall of sound...perhaps the all-time largest, and best sounding portable concert sound systems ever made were powered by Mc amps.

Last edited:

dmc

〽❄❅;731303 said:
I don't have the patience for the vinyl ritual, but at concerts i often buy the vinyl LP along with the red book cd just to add it to the collection. Vinyl never went away, DJ's aside, taking into consideration all you youngsters raised on MP3 compressed garbage, it's little wonder why LP's made a comeback.

I do the same..
And a lot of times the records come signed...

dmc

Much easier to clean your weed on an album cover than a jewel case. :wink:.

I had a surprise when I opened my triple fold out Tommy record a few years ago...
Hadn't opened it since the late 80's maybe.... When I opened it I found a surprise. And all I can say is - what I found is WAY better now than at that time... haha..

shpride

A majority of the bands I like release their stuff in vinyl. The vinyl usually comes with a download code too so I can listen to the music at home and when Im out. I love the sound quality of vinyl thought a lot of the old ones sound much better than the newer ones that come out.

Cornhead

Oh, I know what I have down there....My parents were the original purchasers.....50 YEARS AGO!! Yes, that's right, some super delicious totally vintage McIntosh....from good old Binghamton, NY. I've got a set of an amp, pre-amp and a tuner, all with the stunning, rear-lit, glass-faced fronts. They need some work, but still put out a beautiful, soft, full-bodied sound and tone that is unmatched IMHO, 50 years later.

View attachment 6764

The Dead's Wall of sound...perhaps the all-time largest, and best sounding portable concert sound systems ever made were powered by Mc amps.
I grew up about a mile down the road from McIntosh Labs. I also worked there for a couple years screen printing that back-lit glass. It was before my time, but the Dead used to land their helicopter at the plant when they visited. They've changed ownership several times over the years, Clairion owned them when I worked there. They didn't mess too much with the way things are done there. We do some metal finishing work for them now, speaker backs. We used to do screen printing for them too. The old man who worked in our screening department was offered a position to head their screening department when they set up one in house, he declined. We still have some of their artwork on file. Maybe the old man screened your components.