• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugar Mountain in North Carolina to open on Halloween - earliest in 43 Years

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://www.telegram.com/article/20121030/NEWS/110309915/1052

Sugar Mountain spokeswoman Kim Jochl said Monday the ski resort had already received a couple inches of natural snow and snow makers had been running since Sunday night.

The resort plans to open Wednesday for Halloween, the earliest Sugar has ever been able to open in 43 years of operation. Jochl said the earliest opening date previously was Nov. 6, 1976.

“It’s unprecedented,” she said.

Here is a link to their webcam --> http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/

Last edited:

Cornhead

I was curious to how much vert they have. I was surprised to find out it's 1,200 ft! 300 more than my mole hill here. Anyone ever been there?

jaja111

Never been there but definitely spent some time watching that webcam. :) Winner of most hilarious clusterf%#$ cam I've ever seen. Hours of entertainment with the skill on display in NC.

Anklebiter

I thought that the weather channel said, the Snowshoe was thinking of opening. I'm waiting to hear back (email) from Snowshoe on, if they will be open tomorrow (Halloween). If my son is off tomorrow (will know by 5 pm). I may head down tonight and get a motel about an hour out from the resort. If not, I'm going to fire up my smoker in the morning and smoke a pork shoulder and drink somemore beer.

SIKSKIER

Strange thing about Sugar is the top elevation is at 5200 ft,way higher than any northeastern ski area.I was on Google Earth and boy is it ugly what they do to the mountain tops around there.Tons of houses and buildings on top of the ridges everywhere.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Strange thing about Sugar is the top elevation is at 5200 ft,way higher than any northeastern ski area.I was on Google Earth and boy is it ugly what they do to the mountain tops around there.Tons of houses and buildings on top of the ridges everywhere.
Three words: Blue Ridge Parkway.

Nothing wrong with that.

We do some pretty heinous things to valleys and lower elevation ridges. Look at Waterville, Loon, and North Conway...

SIKSKIER

Sugar Mountain Ski Resort is open, today Wednesday, October 31 - Halloween for day skiing and snowboarding. In its 43 year history, Sugar Mountain Resort’s earliest opening was on November 5th in 1976. Be a part of history. Get out there and ski/ride today.
They only report 9 inches but boy is dumping right now on the cams.