AlpineZone Challenge 2012 Results - Steve Wright of Jay Peak

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

AlpineZone Challenge 2012 Results - Steve Wright of Jay Peak

Here we go , link to results:

http://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/cha...t-of-jay-peak/

Thanks Steve for the candid responses as always.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Nick, you might want to sticky this so it doesn't go to the second page.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Thanks for the replies Steve.

I'm still not on board with the trail cut around Timbuktu. Although I understand the need for more quality Intermediate terrain at Jay, I really think it will create more bad blood than good feelings. However, 10 years down the road everyone will likely have forgotten about it while they are skiing blower powder in the glades of the West Bowl.

Quick question: have you been privy to any of the development plans for Burke?

If so, am I close?

You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Did anyone take him up on his response to the disturbing trend question? I am very curious now....

" Obviously resorts are scrambling for ways to get additional spend out of guests with off-trail activities, and they’re trying to contract typical shoulder seasons so they lose less money during those lean periods. Not sure I look at anything as truly disturbing, actually I guess I do, but it’s not appropriate for this forum. Backchannel if you’re really interested."

I was leaving it up to TrailBoss to PM him about it.

Killington's web cams are pretty good now, I'd probably copy them. They used to have those ones where visitors can control the camera. I think that's kind of a gimmick. Okemo does a better job of implementing control than Killington did.

Yes I have. And I'll give you a C+ on your forecasting....

Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    Thanks for the replies Steve.

I'm still not on board with the trail cut around Timbuktu. Although I understand the need for more quality Intermediate terrain at Jay, I really think it will create more bad blood than good feelings. However, 10 years down the road everyone will likely have forgotten about it while they are skiing blower powder in the glades of the West Bowl.

Quick question: have you been privy to any of the development plans for Burke?

If so, am I close?

Well at least I did't fail

I guess I'll have to wait and be surprised.
    I kind of feel like my guess at the plans was done with an eye for low impact on streams and existing infrastructure (i.e. fairly cheap). Also with easy access to the lifts and a decent view of the mountain.
    I guess the money exists to build pretty much wherever they want.

I'm now thinking the plans are something closer to the snowmaking pond...
    Last edited by from_the_NEK; Oct 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM.

Thanks for your time Steve,

West Bowl
    Very disappointed. At the homeowner meeting, we were told that Jay the permitting issues were pretty much all cleared up. Your answer tells us that the west bowl is still a long way down the road. Can you give us a better idea of the hurdles that need to be cleared ? Is it a 100% permitting issue or is it also that Jay is too busy with other projects and simply postponing this because of a limited workforce or priority issue ?

Timbuktu trail

With respect to the Timbuktu trail I will add/reiterate a few things:

- 1 acre of new 'in bound' terrain is not equal to 1 acre of out-of-bound terrain. Yes I will trade the 70 acres of the West Bowl for the 6 acres of the Orchard (thanks for not butchering the orchard until we get to see the west bowl), but I would argue that you get more customers because of Jay's out-of-bound terrain and policies (and I think you get that - a nice proof is the full page Jay Peak ad in Backcountry's last issue - a pic taken on Big Jay ...) that you will ever get with that new run. The orchard is the only significant out-of-bound terrain that is easily lappable. After you put the new run in, there will be little interesting terrain left out-of-bound, certainly nothing that would warrant the trouble of skiing to the 242.

- I have not met anyone yet (beside you and Walter Elander) who think that is a good idea. This include the people I ski with (who all ski the Orchard so that is a skewed sample), neighbours (who don't ski this area, but who don't seem to think that you need a new intermediate run) and several other home owners who were vocal about this at the last homeowner meeting. Do you really get feedback from visitors telling you that you need more intermediate terrain ? The entire pod north of the tram line is intermediate terrain (including JFK that is a very soft black diamond). You could sacrifice some unmarked glades in this pod rather than this new run. In addition, the very top of this planned new trail will be just as steep as everything on jet side.

- With the West Bowl, I think you should plan for some out of bound terrain only accessible with minimal walking/skinning up. The market for backcountry is growing (sales of alpine touring gear is booming) and Jay should embrace it. With the Orchard, this additional terrain and the whole Big Jay area, you could really carve yourself a nice niche with the backcountry crowd.

Let me know if you need additional free advice !

Thanks for your feedback FB:

At the homeowner meeting we said we were still working on securing all of the permits. At no point did I, or anyone else if my admittedly failing memory serves, say that all of our permits were locked and loaded and away we go. I think I've been pretty forthright in suggesting that the process was difficult and ongoing. I can get you a better idea of what we're chasing and report back though. Sorry if you took it that we were ready to go. We aren't.

I will reiterate my original post. Offering that we have "very little interesting OB terrain" is subjective and we could wring our hands over it all day.

You may just see some of that terrain, as you suggest, earmarked for WB. I would say count on it.

Let me classify that my opinion on this matter is yet to determined and, as opinions should be but seldom are, will be kept to myself. I am but one of the arbiters and a final mandate, as you might say, has not been taken yet. Stay tuned.

We have received some feedback from folks but even a cursory glance at our offerings shows a dearth of that level of trail. And remember, while it can feel like sometimes the resort should be your own private Idaho, we need to consider lots of different levels of guest--including ones that might not be here yet. I know this can feel like a foreign concept when a person has such an intimate connection to the brand, but it's reality. At some level, I certainly care what homeowner's think about trail design (and I've talked to several that I won't name here that think we're right on the money) but, at another very real level, they're only one piece of the demo and that's the reality we're faced with; you want to preserve and protect what you enjoy and we have to concern ourselves with creating a resort that may have appeal past your own particular demo. You might be able to create your own argument that sticking with a singular demo is more profitable. I, on the other hand, can create a pretty strong counter.

Again thanks for the feedback. All good things in all good time.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Thanks for your time Steve,

West Bowl
    Very disappointed. At the homeowner meeting, we were told that Jay the permitting issues were pretty much all cleared up. Your answer tells us that the west bowl is still a long way down the road. Can you give us a better idea of the hurdles that need to be cleared ? Is it a 100% permitting issue or is it also that Jay is too busy with other projects and simply postponing this because of a limited workforce or priority issue ?

Timbuktu trail

With respect to the Timbuktu trail I will add/reiterate a few things:

- 1 acre of new 'in bound' terrain is not equal to 1 acre of out-of-bound terrain. Yes I will trade the 70 acres of the West Bowl for the 6 acres of the Orchard (thanks for not butchering the orchard until we get to see the west bowl), but I would argue that you get more customers because of Jay's out-of-bound terrain and policies (and I think you get that - a nice proof is the full page Jay Peak ad in Backcountry's last issue - a pic taken on Big Jay ...) that you will ever get with that new run. The orchard is the only significant out-of-bound terrain that is easily lappable. After you put the new run in, there will be little interesting terrain left out-of-bound, certainly nothing that would warrant the trouble of skiing to the 242.

- I have not met anyone yet (beside you and Walter Elander) who think that is a good idea. This include the people I ski with (who all ski the Orchard so that is a skewed sample), neighbours (who don't ski this area, but who don't seem to think that you need a new intermediate run) and several other home owners who were vocal about this at the last homeowner meeting. Do you really get feedback from visitors telling you that you need more intermediate terrain ? The entire pod north of the tram line is intermediate terrain (including JFK that is a very soft black diamond). You could sacrifice some unmarked glades in this pod rather than this new run. In addition, the very top of this planned new trail will be just as steep as everything on jet side.

- With the West Bowl, I think you should plan for some out of bound terrain only accessible with minimal walking/skinning up. The market for backcountry is growing (sales of alpine touring gear is booming) and Jay should embrace it. With the Orchard, this additional terrain and the whole Big Jay area, you could really carve yourself a nice niche with the backcountry crowd.

Let me know if you need additional free advice !

Thread Information