AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Win Smith of Sugarbush - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just wanted to say quickly that I believe Sugarbush to be a great mountain that has a lot to offer for beginners to advanced level skiers. If one mountain is full the other is pretty much guareneteed to be a great place to go

Ski The East,
    Rock The Whale!

www.whaleback.com

Some of the lift infrastructure is quite old at Sugarbush. What are your long range plans to replace/repair lifts at both areas?
    2018-2019

TBD

One more quick question before this opportunity to ask questions closes:

Are there any plans to add additional webcams at other locations? Us flatlanders live and die by being able to view images of our favorite mountain and having one or more webcams at areas such as top of Gate House or top of North Ridge looking out towards upper FIS (what a view that would be) would not only be helpful but also a great marketing opportunity.

Thanks for all you do Win!

any others, sorry guys, I've been delayed on getting these done...
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

How has the For 20's pass been received this season? Clearly you guys recognize that this segment is valuable to the long term growth/viability of Sugarbush. Do you plan to keep it going forward?
    I believe you guys were the 1st in the East to offer this....I noticed Okemo/Sunapee offered a similar pass this year. Would you be able to speculate at all if other mtns may start to offer this type of pass?

Also, any plans for a Spring pass this year?
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

My 2 Cents

Win, I'd like to echo the sentiments of others who have commended your ownership group on the changes you've made since taking over. As you continue to develop SB in the coming years, I have a few thoughts/questions/suggestions. I'll focus on Mt. Ellen since I spend most of my time there and becasue Lincoln Peak has been pretty well covered above.

1) Trees. First, thanks for the continued development of tree skiing at SB. Let's not open it TOO much (especially at the trail edges), if you catch my drift. It's better if you leave something for exploration.

2) Mt. Ellen Base Lodge. Are there any plans at present to improve Mt. Ellen base area? Is this something that depends on completing the sales of Lincoln Peak units, given your recent investments there?

3) Upper Inverness Pod. Yup, here's the annual please, please, please, open the Upper Inverness Pod. You don't even need to cut any new trails (except maybe for whatever Patrol and Mtn. Ops need). For the investment in one chair and some tree work you open an pretty expansive swath of some of the best terrain at SB. Given the inability to expand into the Slidebrook, this is the next best opportunity.

4) Mt. Ellen. Have you considered selling Mt. Ellen by itself? It seems there's untapped value in Mt. Ellen and you might not be in a position to realize that value until the Lincoln Peak expansion is done. Selling it would be a way to get some cash out of the asset now. I've often wondered if it wouldn't be a better fit for MRG (assuming they wanted it and could put the financing together to buy it). Geographically it certainly would be a more logical fit, especially if the Upper Inverness Pod ever came to being. Selling Mt. Ellen would also allow you sell the Slidebrook Express assets and pull out some additional value (sell part of it to the buyer to use for the Upper Inverness Chair!).

5) For Both Areas - On Mountain Food Service. Is there any way to set up lift line vending? The lines probably aren't long enough for this at Mt. Ellen, but I've always thought it would be great to be able to grab a water or bar (or even a burger if you wanted to go beyond packaged goods) from a stand near the end of the Castlerock line. Easy revenue for you, happy full belly for me. Maybe it's a litter containment problem?

6) For Both Areas - Deck Viewing. Is there any way to set up a bump run and/or half pipe that could be watched from the decks at Lincoln and Mt. Ellen? Sitting on a sunny deck with a cold one in your hands and watching people tackle a nice bump run or the half pipe on a March or April afternoon, maybe with some music piped in, is a quintessential alpine experience SB doesn't really offer. I think this could be done from the deck of the Valley House Lodge/Wunderbar and the Mt. Ellen Base lodge without too much effort and would create a great atmosphere.

7) Summer Activity. Have you looked into making SB into a mountain biking mecca or some other way to market SB for the summer months (zip lines and weddings notwithstanding)? The Valley in general really could use a little summer pick me up. I'm sure the local businesses would agree. I think it would help market those Lincoln Peak units too!

1 more I just thought of
    Wishful thinking here but we can dream. Would Sugarbush consider working with Nick to put together a 2nd Summit each yr similar in value/scope as the Loaf trip?
    I think the MRV would be an awesome place for a large group and may be more conducive to those coming from NY/CT/NJ as compared to the Loaf. I'd be at both of course but you know thinking of the other guy!
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation

Re: AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Win Smith of Sugarbush

Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    1 more I just thought of
    Wishful thinking here but we can dream. Would Sugarbush consider working with Nick to put together a 2nd Summit each yr similar in value/scope as the Loaf trip?
    I think the MRV would be an awesome place for a large group and may be more conducive to those coming from NY/CT/NJ as compared to the Loaf. I'd be at both of course but you know thinking of the other guy!
    +1000: I could make a three day weekend to the Bush, if I am going to Maine for 4 days, I could just fly to SLC, PLEASE make this happen every years.

Re: AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Win Smith of Sugarbush

I am so overdue with these ...shame on me
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information