• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Overused/Annoying Skiing Terms

MadMadWorld

We use the term "headwall" all the time, particularly with regard to racing. How else would you describe the transition from a flat to a steep? (usually with a nasty "control gate" at the top). Consider Blue Mountains Razor's Edge to have 2 headwalls, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Killington and Stowe would say it's an opportunity to increase their trail count.

bdfreetuna

Tucks ain't a headwall.

Huntington Pinnacle Gully now that's a headwall :spread:

Attachments

• PinnacleGully_MtWashington2.jpg
    PinnacleGully_MtWashington2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 111

bdfreetuna

Yeah I've climbed Central, Yale Gullies and one more to the right of Yale which I'm blanking on the name of atm.. both would be intense to ski. I'm sure somebody has skied the Pinnacle Gully but it would be pretty dangerous considering the ice flow, and insane steepness.

Here's a video I just found of a couple heady brahs skiing Yale. Actually looks like a lot of fun if the snow is soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVhUUuhdtw

And here's Central Gully skiing (the guys in this video appear to be in over their heads...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=P5UE_A-bFcI&feature=endscreen

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I am so sick of seeing GoPro's on helmets, sticks, and anywhere else.

Last year at Smuggs on President's Weekend Saturday there were so many in the lift line it was startling. I've never seen anything like it, you'd have thought it was "GoPro Customer Appreciation Day" or something.

Big Game

Oh, and Gaper! Anyone who use that seems worse than the person they're calling "Gaper"

This.

I must be lucky though. I've never heard anyone ever use it in a conversation (only seen it on ski forums) If I did, I know that would be a clue not to listen to that person anymore.

Really, to mock someone because they don't have the amazing luck to have to good fortune that allows an incredible amount of spare time and money to become an oh-so-hardcore alpine enthusiast? Really, people get off on that?

Seems like a idea invented in some crappy 80s movie.

"Listen, Darsh, you and your little gaper pals aren't welcome on our mountain."

The utter lameness of the term makes me want to put on a Jets cap, pleated acid wash jeans and snowplow down a lift line trail with 210s, pole-less, with a big smile and two big fingers conducting a phantom symphony.

Last edited:

Cheese

This.

I must be lucky though. I've never heard anyone ever use it in a conversation (only seen it on ski forums) If I did, I know that would be a clue not to listen to that person anymore.

Really, to mock someone because they don't have the amazing luck to have to good fortune that allows an incredible amount of spare time and money to become an oh-so-hardcore alpine enthusiast? Really, people get off on that?

What should we call them?

This is the guy wearing a Patriots sweatshirt and jeans rolled up above his boots. He's not wearing any gloves and there's a 2" gap between his goggles and helmet. He's loading the summit chair with a pole in each hand, pole straps dangling and looking straight ahead with not a clue when the chair will strike the back of his legs. He's got too much pride to learn to turn and stop in the beginners area where the rest of the skiers at his level are so he's headed to the top of the mountain for his first crack at it. He hasn't looked at a trail map because his plan is to ski right back down underneath the chairlift. Doesn't matter what the level of terrain is under the lift, that's where you'll see him crashing down the mountain while you lap him countless times.

For the record, this guy hasn't saved any coin by putting other skiers in danger of a collision. His fellow beginners purchased a cheaper lower mountain "learn to ski" ticket which included a lesson. I will continue to mock GAPERs and assist the more responsible skiers with helpful hints along their safer learning path.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

The term "gaper" doesn't refer to a goggle gap, at least it didn't originally even though many people now believe that's what it refers to. I agree that it belongs on the overused list though.

Literally stoked

I didnt count, but I'd set the Over/Under for number of times I heard this in the Warren Miller movie last night at 15.

jaja111

What should we call them?

This is the guy wearing a Patriots sweatshirt and jeans rolled up above his boots. He's not wearing any gloves and there's a 2" gap between his goggles and helmet. He's loading the summit chair with a pole in each hand, pole straps dangling and looking straight ahead with not a clue when the chair will strike the back of his legs. He's got too much pride to learn to turn and stop in the beginners area where the rest of the skiers at his level are so he's headed to the top of the mountain for his first crack at it. He hasn't looked at a trail map because his plan is to ski right back down underneath the chairlift. Doesn't matter what the level of terrain is under the lift, that's where you'll see him crashing down the mountain while you lap him countless times.

For the record, this guy hasn't saved any coin by putting other skiers in danger of a collision. His fellow beginners purchased a cheaper lower mountain "learn to ski" ticket which included a lesson. I will continue to mock GAPERs and assist the more responsible skiers with helpful hints along their safer learning path.

Well said in defense of the label "gaper". I always believed this referred specifically to their mouth's being agape when staring into the abyss as they were freezing in an open starter jacket, wet and icy Texas Gortex (jeans), and no gloves. I'll call someone who skis better than I do while wearing a neon fartbag a gaper as a term of endearment. I'll call someone who is drunk, freezing, and a general danger to others for a lack of common sense rather than inability to ski, a gaper as a derogatory commentary.

Gaper stays. It can't be overused enough.

Cheese

Although I mentioned the goggle gap in my physical description, I know that GAPER is an acronym. I find the term more family resort friendly than JONG, but that's just me.

Breakout12

Although I mentioned the goggle gap in my physical description, I know that GAPER is an acronym. I find the term more family resort friendly than JONG, but that's just me.

It's an acronym? That's news to me. In fact, if you go by the Urban Dictionary (which I try to avoid at all costs), G.A.P.E.R is the 4th definition, with only 33 "Ups", while the first 3 definitions have ~800, 300, and 300 respectively. It's not an acronym. Using it as an acronym seems contrived and forced. The generally accepted reference to gape is having their mouths agape, as in awe, or possibly drooling idiocy. The "Gaper's gap" refers to the space between helmet and goggles (which I have also seen on decidedly non-gapers!)

The fact that it doesn't have a solid definition, that it is a generally awkward choice of word, and is meant in a derogatory way makes it more annoying than a lot of other terms. I side with Big Game. It's mean-spirited, and used by the "Too Cool" crowd. 'Noob' or 'Rook' will suffice.

Having said all that, I will admit to LMAO when I first read the "Gaper Spirit Animal" thread on another site, but that was more due to the dynamics of the conversation - how the picture and the story merged to reveal the big picture. That, and the guy's lament that he had everything but a screwdriver! Regarding the guy, I had a "live and let live" attitude.

Last edited: