• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Overused/Annoying Skiing Terms

emmaurice2

Freshies is kind of annoying. I'm not fond of any insulting terms (ask me about this again after I've been cut off or plowed over). "Pow" doesn't bother me much.

Recently, "slackcountry" or "sidecountry" are getting on my nerves. Off-piste should suffice, no?

gregnye

I can't stand ski areas claiming they have a "waffle haus" or a "chili haus". It is a house!! Not a haus!!

Just like when people say "powdah" instead of "powder". I am guilty of saying "powdah" though! It's must be my boston accent! :wink:

skiNEwhere

I can't stand ski areas claiming they have a "waffle haus" or a "chili haus". It is a house!! Not a haus!!

As far as I'm concerned they can call it whatever they want, cuz waffle haus is BOMB! (Is that gonna be added to the list?)

Gnarcissaro

Maybe I missed it, but how did we get this far here without "epic" being mentioned?

So overused on things that aren't epic at all. "2 inches of fresh snow? EPIC!"

I think Tuckerman's is the only place in the east that truly has a headwall.

You can't be that naive, right? There's other skiable ravines throughout the Presidentials (Or Franconia Ridge could be argued) with true headwalls.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Maybe I missed it, but how did we get this far here without "epic" being mentioned?

So overused on things that aren't epic at all. "2 inches of fresh snow? EPIC!"

You can't be that naive, right? There's other skiable ravines throughout the Presidentials (Or Franconia Ridge could be argued) with true headwalls.

There are plenty of great spots in both NH/ME that at least meet some the criteria but sustained vertical top to bottom is very rare. It's silly to argue this since I made up my own criteria for it in the first place

Last edited:

oakapple

The phrases "Beginner Trail" and "Green Trail" are often confused. Many green trails are easy, but essential transit routes for skiers of all abilities.

Ski areas frequently refer to "powder" anytime there has been even the slightest dusting of fresh snow. All powder requires fresh snow, but not all fresh snow is powder.

BenedictGomez

Ski areas frequently refer to "powder" anytime there has been even the slightest dusting of fresh snow. All powder requires fresh snow, but not all fresh snow is powder.

This is more of a misunderstanding than an obnoxious term, but I agree. You could get 6 inches of snowman or igloo building material and people will call it powder.

EDIT: I'm going to the Warren Miller movie tomorrow night, I'm sure I've have several awful terms to add to this thread.

Grassi21

I can handle pow, po-po or pow-pow is annoying though.

I say pow pow to the wife simply to annoy her. lol

My vote for most overused word is radical. You know who I am talking about. :)

4aprice

We use the term "headwall" all the time, particularly with regard to racing. How else would you describe the transition from a flat to a steep? (usually with a nasty "control gate" at the top). Consider Blue Mountains Razor's Edge to have 2 headwalls, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SIKSKIER

Epic dump?I just took one of those before I read this thread.Face trails annoys the crap out of me.What face?front,right left,back or just the one that faces you?I have a friend that always refers to Cannons Zoomer pod as the face trails.Why,cuz they face the highway?