• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunting?

vdk03

IMG_20131022_161818.jpg
IMG_20131022_161759.jpg
This is the 5x5 elk I shot a few weeks ago here in Summit County. It took a few days to get the whole thing packaged and in the freezer. Just this weekend I finished the the final steps by grinding up 50lbs of the scraps into burger, hot Italian sausage and summer sausage (with some much appreciated help from Ski Stef). It was a #$&*load of work but so worth it...the elk meat is so delicious.

darent

View attachment 9607
View attachment 9608
This is the 5x5 elk I shot a few weeks ago here in Summit County. It took a few days to get the whole thing packaged and in the freezer. Just this weekend I finished the the final steps by grinding up 50lbs of the scraps into burger, hot Italian sausage and summer sausage (with some much appreciated help from Ski Stef). It was a #$&*load of work but so worth it...the elk meat is so delicious.
nice VDK03, you'll be allset for the year!!

BenedictGomez

I'm going to give hunting a whirl this season. Deer here in nw New Jersey are like mosquitoes, we need more hunters. I've shot various firearms my entire life, and skinning looks easy, the only bit I'm apprehensive about is the field dressing as it looks somewhat complicated for a first-timer unless you've been shown how and I'm worried about spoiling the meat (which is my #1 motivation for hunting, the tasty, tasty venison).

darent

if you ask around at the local markets you may find that the local butcher will, for a price, butcher and package up your deer. all you have to do is field dress .

vdk03

I'm going to give hunting a whirl this season. Deer here in nw New Jersey are like mosquitoes, we need more hunters. I've shot various firearms my entire life, and skinning looks easy, the only bit I'm apprehensive about is the field dressing as it looks somewhat complicated for a first-timer unless you've been shown how and I'm worried about spoiling the meat (which is my #1 motivation for hunting, the tasty, tasty venison).

The best way to learn is to do it with an experienced friend there talking you through it. If that is not possible I'd recommend watching a few YouTube videos on how it's done. Just don't pop the bladder or the stomach and you will be fine. Good luck this season and be safe!

BenedictGomez

if you ask around at the local markets you may find that the local butcher will, for a price, butcher and package up your deer. all you have to do is field dress .

That part I've got covered. Neighbor has a professional set-up in his basement with stainless steel tables, butchers paper, knives, even date stamps for the packaging. Helped him cut up 3 or 4 deer last season.

The best way to learn is to do it with an experienced friend there talking you through it. If that is not possible I'd recommend watching a few YouTube videos on how it's done. Just don't pop the bladder or the stomach and you will be fine. Good luck this season and be safe!

I'm going to go that route. I have a feeling a lot of it is probably done by "feeling" that can only be learned by actual experience. I guess I'll just go very gingerly the first time.

Cornhead

I'm not a hunter, I blame my Mom, when my parents first got married my Dad went hunting rabbits, he brought a couple rabbits home thinking his bride would cook them, nope, sat in the freezer until they were tossed, no more hunting for Dad. He used to take my younger Sister and I out plunking with his semi auto Ithaca 22. I did go shoot skeet with him once before he retired. I do love venison jerky, and it makes great spiedies too...thanks Mom.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bigbog

I don't...but I wouldn't have 2nd thoughts about hunting coyotes. But very rarely will they be out during day and there are more useful & enjoyable things to do than spend my nights with thermal gear or lighting, sitting around...waiting for coyotes, although the $$$ for them is decent, I think.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Definitely do it...venison = good meals...and sounds like your area's herd needs culling.

It's worse than that. They're EVERYWHERE. When I turn off the highway, it's 4.5 miles to my place. I'd say I AVERAGE seeing 15 deer per night in just that 4.5 mile stretch, and commonly see > 20. And deer/vehicle accidents are common.

The state biologists have done everything they can to encourage hunting here and increase bag limits etc... we even have "earn a buck", where you have to shoot a doe first in bow season before you take a buck, and they made crossbow hunting legal 5 years ago to make it even easier. In terms of coyote, those are starting to be a real problem here in Jersey too, which, I suspect is due to nature trying to balance the predator/prey ratio. Saw one just the other night, and the little girl across the street's cat went missing last month. I think I know where it went.......

dlague

So I have not hunted in a long time. But my wife set up a hunter safety training for my son and I. I have been researching bows for bow hunting and looking to get a 30-06 for rifle season. Elk hunting is big here in CO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
So I have not hunted in a long time. But my wife set up a hunter safety training for my son and I. I have been researching bows for bow hunting and looking to get a 30-06 for rifle season. Elk hunting is big here in CO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Bow hunting takes a lot of commitment. You have to practice alot so you become proficient enough to lower your chances of wonding the animal vs quick kill. I hunted bow for whitetail deer in Pa. for 10yrs and managed 5 . Their reaction to hearing the bow string sound is amazingly quick. Where they were a second earlier can be measured in feet!

Getting out in the woods to find the best spots takes time also. I eventually gave it up as it ate into my other hobby. But being out in the quiet woods was great. Archery season In Pa. tends to be warmer . I’ve been pretty close to a Bull Elk
In Banff during ski season (Non Rut)...The’re freaking huge! 50’ from an elk with only a bow during rut....:eek::eek:

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Bow hunting takes a lot of commitment. You have to practice alot so you become proficient enough to lower your chances of wonding the animal vs quick kill.

Crossbow if that's your concern (and it is for me).

I harbor absolutely zero ill-will against people who want to hunt with a longbow (if they're good) or a compound bow, but I personally refuse to risk it and use a crossbow to minimize all potential risk of wounding/losing a deer.

You still need to "practice" of course, even with a crossbow, but the accuracy is insane. They make crossbows today that are as accurate as firearms at 20 to 40 yards. I have an Excalibur Matrix that from bench rest will repeatedly put an arrow into a golf ball sized area, which still amazes me. Even at longer ranges I likely wouldn't shoot at, I'd say the area is baseball sized, which is still the kill-zone.