• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunting?

dlague

Crossbow if that's your concern (and it is for me).

I harbor absolutely zero ill-will against people who want to hunt with a longbow (if they're good) or a compound bow, but I personally refuse to risk it and use a crossbow to minimize all potential risk of wounding/losing a deer.

You still need to "practice" of course, even with a crossbow, but the accuracy is insane. They make crossbows today that are as accurate as firearms at 20 to 40 yards. I have an Excalibur Matrix that from bench rest will repeatedly put an arrow into a golf ball sized area, which still amazes me. Even at longer ranges I likely wouldn't shoot at, I'd say the area is baseball sized, which is still the kill-zone.
Well with a compound bow I shoot in a 3-4 inch grouping at 25 yards. I will never shoot anything that is beyond 30ish yards. Getting that close is not easy. But some if my friends a good elk callers and they have taken elk by bow before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Well with a compound bow I shoot in a 3-4 inch grouping at 25 yards. I will never shoot anything that is beyond 30ish yards. Getting that close is not easy. But some if my friends a good elk callers and they have taken elk by bow before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Good strategy ....watch out for those small saplings and twigs . It's easy to get tunnel vision when the big one shows up.
I though for sure I had a great shot on the biggest Buck I've seen, he ran off without a scratch LOL .I looked back to see my arrow in a 1" wide sapling:sadwalk: