• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Work place Holiday party Canceled

ScottySkis

My boss said because of the hurricane he doesn't fell it is right to have a party this year. I think there more to the story, hope every else party is not cancelled.

skijay

I'm the sole employee. 2005 was the last year in "corporate" for every type of holiday to be celebrated and the once a month birthday potluck lunch and cake. Boy, do I miss the office parties :(

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

They are fun and I always liked meeting everyone else who works in my bosses stores, not this year I guess.

drjeff

In my office, we've basically given up trying to have a "Holiday" party before the Holidays. Just too many folks with too many obligations going on from basically now through New Years.

What we've started doing, and to some decent responses, is in mid-late January, having it then. Much less stress and obligations for folks that way

ScottySkis

In my office, we've basically given up trying to have a "Holiday" party before the Holidays. Just too many folks with too many obligations going on from basically now through New Years.

What we've started doing, and to some decent responses, is in mid-late January, having it then. Much less stress and obligations for folks that way

See that is great idea.
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

bvibert

Staff member
I've never been to the Holiday party at my work. I hear it's a good time, and there's open bar, but there's no one I work with that I need to hang out with than I'm already obligated to during the work day.

I guess one of these years I'll go...

ScottySkis

I just annoyed because 1 open bar, 2 lots of females go, 3 he is saying that he does not want a party because it would be wrong with the hurricane, the good news is that has everyone donating coats for victims of the storm. I think also this gear we loss so much product maybe has something to do with the party being cancelled.

o3jeff

In the 12 years I've worked where I do we've only had one Holiday party and it consisted taking us for lunch since there are only 5 of us that work here. I'd rather see that money in my Holiday bonus.

Warp Daddy

We have. 3. Work related holiday parties . One at the College I retired from and two at the Regional Medical Center where I serve on the Board.All are great times to see friends and colleagues. One is elegant at an Inn that is a former victorian manor home usually puts on a great spread and open bar , the others are more informal with dinners or luncheons

we like most of you also have several house parties to atteNd , it's a very busy schedule but fun .

Edd

I work with these people. I don't have to drink with them!!!!

Agreed. I work at a giant corporation with roughly 700 employees at my location alone. I don't possess the social skills to enage in proper networking so there's little upside to exposing myself to co-workers outside of the workplace.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I had some at my last company that were pretty fun, but they were always in January to, which I always thought was ridiculous since it was past the holiday> I'd prefer to have it during the holiday season. January is clean slate month.

my company now, there isn't the same level of camaraderie. They more or less decide to donate money every year to a charity or something instead of having a party, which is fine and noble, I guess.

Glenn

I guess I can see both sides of the issue...Scotty's boss doesn't want to seem like they're out partying, while others are in a tough spot. On the other hand, a get together, with open bar...maybe some dancing could be a good way to take peoples' minds off of things.

Skimaine

Our company did away with Holiday parties 4-5 years ago. Most people thought there were betters ways to spend those $'s.

ScottySkis

I guess I can see both sides of the issue...Scotty's boss doesn't want to seem like they're out partying, while others are in a tough spot. On the other hand, a get together, with open bar...maybe some dancing could be a good way to take peoples' minds off of things.

+1 that's 100% how I feel.

jrmagic

Join the club. We haven't had one sine the economy tanked. Years ago they used to be very lavish. it was at the waldorf Astoria with good booze and good food. The first time they cancelled one was 2001 because of 9/11 and after that they were not as lavish. Then in 08' they did away with them all together. To "make up" for it, they suggested weorganize a potluck or something in the office as long as we fund the entire thing. Jsut another thing besides my pay being cut in half to demotivate me.