• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

starter DSLR

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Pi casa is a great free starter tool. I just switched to light room and I really like it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gmcunni

Check photography-on-the.net for research and used options. Got my Canon 20D prosumer DSLR for about $200 there. It's not the latest and greatest, but great to learn on. Add a 50mm f/1.8 for about $100 and you've got a good inexpensive combo. She'll want something like that if she's taking Photography in school. Can prob get a newer model for similar price, as that was several years ago now. That's also where I sourced my 7D used.

thanks, will check that out.. we just found the course description for high school.. she will need *GASP* a film 35mm camera :-o

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
thanks, will check that out.. we just found the course description for high school.. she will need *GASP* a film 35mm camera :-o
I have 2, if she wants to borrow one. Haven't used them in years. One was my grandmother's (which I used for MY Photography course sophomore year of high school), the other was mine that I bought in the late 90s.

I imagine part of the course will be teaching them how to develop film and make prints, which is cool. I do miss that part of it. Paying someone else to do it--not so much.

bobbutts

Raw Therapee is free OSS for raw processing
Gimp is free OSS like Photoshop
Adobe probably makes superior software, but these work well enough that I see no reason to pay for photo manipulation software personally.
For just simple touching up there's a ton of options. I like XNView

gmcunni

I imagine part of the course will be teaching them how to develop film and make prints, which is cool.

sounds like it:

Students must provide their own film, photographic paper, 35mm SLR camera with adjustable shutter, lens opening and focusing control, point and shoot cameras are not acceptable in this class.

i wouldn't even know where to buy film these days.. some specialty shops or on the interweb i guess.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm pretty sure it's still available. We have a great camera shop in town; if you don't, try Ritz, maybe? You'll need a source for the paper anyway.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Amazon's prices are always in flux.

I love Canon products. I would still choose a used prosumer model over the plastic Rebels. If you don't want to buy from a stranger, try adorama's refurbed options. It does come down to how serious you'll be, but the prosumer ones are a bit more durable, more flexible, more options.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Freestyle Photo is a good vendor for B&W film if you don't have a vendor locally. My store orders through them wholesale. Though most of the college courses have gone DSLR but there are still a few B&W film classes offered. Surprised they are still offered at the HS level... gotta do something with that black room I guess... :roll: but they should at least offer a digital version of the course for those that could care less about B&W. Goodness knows most pros have probably gone digital by now leaving film for those few that are really into it.

gmcunni

Freestyle Photo is a good vendor for B&W film if you don't have a vendor locally. My store orders through them wholesale. Though most of the college courses have gone DSLR but there are still a few B&W film classes offered. Surprised they are still offered at the HS level... gotta do something with that black room I guess... :roll: but they should at least offer a digital version of the course for those that could care less about B&W. Goodness knows most pros have probably gone digital by now leaving film for those few that are really into it.

my wife is friendly with a lot of staff at the high school, we're going to inquire about the photography class and prospects of it going digital any time soon. there is a local state college credit associated with the photography classes so i'm guessing the curriculum is dictated by the college rather than the high school

Glenn

Interesting thread. My wife wants to get into photography and a DSLR is on the list.