• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington November 23

About 25 of us left Hunter in several cars on Friday morning. Destination, the Beast. Arrived at the Killington Shops at 9:15am. If anyone doe snot know you can get your tickets and change in the shops. We cashed in the 2 for ones, booted up and drove up the hill, (only one boot on). We parked opposite Superstar and headed up the lift. Sky Bitter was soft and not too crowded. Soft bumps on both sides with rocks hear and there.

Headed over to the K1 after 6 laps. Headwall East Fall, Northridge. Rime, Northridge, Rime, GN, Mousetrap Snowdon Quad. Bunny, Mouse Gondi repeat.

Everything was soft, it was crowded, but we wove through the crowds. We had a blast. Lots of crazy people, walkers and plenty of old friends. I did more gondola runs than I ever have. Nice to have so much variety on the hill.

Other forums have complained about out of control skiers, but It was worse 2 weeks ago. I saw more patrol and ambassadors than I ever had. The picture below is the Hunter conga line down chute. Almost every skier in this picture is our crew ripping it up.

Some pictures here: https://plus.google.com/photos/104145002472724772294/albums/5814227501282237057?banner=pwa

Attachments

• Killington-20121123-00730.jpg
    Killington-20121123-00730.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 91

bdfreetuna

Killington has a *ton* of ambassadors and they can be really helpful. Indeed when there are fewer trails open, their density among the normal population is fairly high.

bdfreetuna

Well, I took my ex-GF to K once because she wanted to try skiing and I figured I'd give her a lesson. She did okay for a couple runs then threw a fit at one point about halfway down the mountain and said she couldn't go any further. This would have been a real shitty situation for me except Ambassador came along and was real cool with it and saved me from the dog house.

He called ski patrol and they took her down in a sled. She ended up taking the experience fairly well mainly because the Ambassador and also the ski patrol were real cool about it and played it off like it's no big deal (cause obviously riding down in a sled can be embarrasing especially if you're not even injured).

In retrospect I should have left this girl on the mountain right then and there.. but still the incident leaves a positive impression of Killington's on-mountain staff.

Most of my experiences with mountain staff have been them telling me to slow down / "this is a slow zone" / "that trail is closed for a reason" / "you aren't supposed to ski out of bounds" / etc. However Killington ambassadors have *never* told me to slow down so I either haven't been skiing fast enough there, or what seems more likely is I think they are a bit less uptight at Killington at least as long as you're not skiing obviously out of control.

kingslug

Sunday was pretty much the same, crowded but manageable..some unguided missiles had to be avoided but the bumps where fun...a good 4 hours, starting to like the place again.