• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD ?

Bene288

Title says it all. I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm thinking of picking one of these up for a Christmas present. The person receiving the gift is a super geek, hates Apple so Ipad is out of the question, loves PC's, reads A LOT. Any recommendations ?

bvibert

Staff member
With the fire you're more or less locked into using Amazons services and app store. The nexus is much more open and you can get your content from various sources instead of just Amazon. I haven't done much research since the HD came out, but i knew it was coming when i was looking at buying the nexus 7. I considered waiting for it, but decided the Amazon factor probably wasn't worth it for me. IIRC the only advantage the fire had it's that you can stream their VOD content on it, which they don't allow on other Android devices. This might be a big deal for Amazon prime members who watch a lot of videos through that service. We're prime members, but that wasn't enough to make me go the Amazon tablet route. I'm very happy with my nexus 7. I'm not a huge reader, but I find the google play store library to be adequate. I can also get content from the Amazon kindle and b&n nook apps.

bobbutts

Nexus 7
Especially for the anti-apple type. The unlocked bootloader on Nexus devices is the antithesis of Apple's walled garden.

selski

For those using other Android devices you can download Dolphin HD Browser. In the settings there is an option for User Agent. Choose desktop. You can then stream your Amazon Prime content in Dolphin.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm voting Nexus 7 as well. The thing with Nexus 7 is that you can basically do almost all the same things you can do on the kindle. There is a Kindle app, and an Amazon MP3 app. The only thing you miss out on is the Video on Demand store, which is kind of annoying ... I do wish Amazon would release a VOD app. The logic behind why they haven't apparently has to do with the fact that they are cannabilizing their base, but aren't they already doing that with the Kindle app and with the MP3 app? :dontknow:

I really like my Nexus 7. I have almost replaced my phone entirely in the house with it.

fbrissette

Haven't used the kindle fire. However, I have used a lot the tablets on the market (Apple and Android), and the Nexus is the first one I am totally happy with. Form factor, quality, speed, it's all there. Unless you are dead set on the exclusive use of the Amazon environment I can't see why you shouldn't go with the Nexus 7.

bvibert

Staff member
For those using other Android devices you can download Dolphin HD Browser. In the settings there is an option for User Agent. Choose desktop. You can then stream your Amazon Prime content in Dolphin.

You can choose to load the desktop version of sites with chrome (which is the default browser for Android 4.1) as well. However, from what I can see amazon videos require flash to view, which is no longer supported on Android. I don't have dolphin loaded on my Nexus 7, so I couldn't try it, but I couldn't watch Amazon videos using Chrome because of no flash support.

I was a big dolphin browser user for a while, but the stock browsers on the last few versions of Android have been so good i haven't bothered.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You can choose to load the desktop version of sites with chrome (which is the default browser for Android 4.1) as well. However, from what I can see amazon videos require flash to view, which is no longer supported on Android. I don't have dolphin loaded on my Nexus 7, so I couldn't try it, but I couldn't watch Amazon videos using Chrome because of no flash support.
Wait... did I read that correctly? One of the things you call a downfall for Apple products is now no longer supported in Android either...? :p

fbrissette

Wait... did I read that correctly? One of the things you call a downfall for Apple products is now no longer supported in Android either...? :p

It's been known for a while that HTML5 was going to eventually replace flash. The last version of Android had abandonned flash but this is at a point where flash is really dying (still annoying some times). Apple left flash when it was in full force, and mostly because of a feud between Jobs and Adobe.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's been known for a while that HTML5 was going to eventually replace flash. The last version of Android had abandonned flash but this is at a point where flash is really dying (still annoying some times). Apple left flash when it was in full force, and mostly because of a feud between Jobs and Adobe.
So they were ahead of their time! ;)

(psst... bvibert is my husband. Just some harmless ribbing.)

bvibert

Staff member

Yup, it's true, but that was never one of the big Apple detractors for me. As noted by fbrissette, Flash is going away, but I feel that the drop of Android support was a little premature.