• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Head Lamps

Blizzard of Wahhs

I'm about to buy a head lamp for making some night time turns off piste. I see a wide range of lamps with all different levels of lumens. I don't want to buy a low end light and am almost thinking of using a mountain biking light because they seem to powerful AND have USB charging but am not sure if they will hold up in the cold.

Anyone with experience in this area?

What are you, a Kennedy? Shirley you can't be serious.

Denmad

I'm about to buy a head lamp for making some night time turns off piste. I see a wide range of lamps with all different levels of lumens. I don't want to buy a low end Peimar led and am almost thinking of using a mountain biking light because they seem to powerful AND have USB charging but am not sure if they will hold up in the cold.

Anyone with experience in this area?

If led lights work for you. You must try them they are very bright

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

tt431

I did for two but it wasn't totally dark. The headlight puts big round spot in the direction you're heading. I do believe the lamp would be very helpful but I need to do more testing. It's getting dark sooner now and the next few days a might have a darker end of day, I'll post the results next week.

Huck_It_Baby

I did for two but it wasn't totally dark. The headlight puts big round spot in the direction you're heading. I do believe the lamp would be very helpful but I need to do more testing. It's getting dark sooner now and the next few days a might have a darker end of day, I'll post the results next week.

Cool I'll look forward to hearing more. Thanks!

tt431

Cool I'll look forward to hearing more. Thanks!
I used the headlamp this weekend and it was dark out. I wouldn't go 30 MPH with this headlamp but it was ok for getting down the mountain at low speed. Not terrible powerful but it works for me.

Huck_It_Baby

I used the headlamp this weekend and it was dark out. I wouldn't go 30 MPH with this headlamp but it was ok for getting down the mountain at low speed. Not terrible powerful but it works for me.

Thanks for the report! Still haven't bought a light yet. $2,000+ car repairs just got in my way of spending! =(