• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Brighton 11/30

tirolerpeter

Brighton Ski Resort BCC, Thu 11/30

We drove up the canyon road and got to the parking lot at aobut 9:30 AM. Got stuck parking in the second row again about 150' from the lodge. I can't stand these crowds! Temps in the AM were around 10 degrees. By noon it had climbed to around 21. There was no wind, so the absolutely BLUE skies had the entire area brilliantly lit up. They have an excellent base. Most of the powder from previous two days had been groomed out on the greens and some of the blue trails. The blacks and double blacks were untouched by groomers, but some were pretty well packed down. There were still lots of powder shots left in clear areas between many of the trails. Brighton seems to have (at least today) a ratio of of about 15 to 1 snowboarders vs. skiers. This accounts for the hard packing on some of the trails. The base is excellent, and except for some exposed steeps where rocks still stick out. We cautiously edged into the trees (Brighton has some of the most extensive tree (not glades) runs of any place I have ever skied. Yes, Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude is georgeous too, but won't open until the 17th. We found plenty of totally untracked powder in those trees, and concentrated on playing there. My son was ecstatic. He can't wait for me to move, and invite him back. I felt a lot better today and was really starting to get my timing back. Of course, the previous two days had taken their toll, and we were really huffing on some of the double black tree runs. Decided to call it around 2:30 when James caught an edge and jammed a knee. My fervent wish is that all of you get a chance some time soon to play in UT powder. There are no "bad" ski areas anywhere around the Salt Lake area. We are catching the Jet Blue "redeye" back to the Big Apple tonight, and will land tomorrow morning...back to earth again.