Running...how cold can you go? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have run down to single digits and windchills in negatives. Just good layering. I've hiked down to about -40 windchill. Probably skied close to that too.

Mild jogging to walking...back to jogging is probably more descriptive of my activity in winter. Ditto on the layering...... Agree on the temperatures that we in the NE get not having that much effect on decisions...now that we have the better outdoor clothing materials/coatings. When we used to have much greater snow depths with the good-weather dry air that we get..-20F in Greenville(ME) never felt nearly as bad as the raw +10F, without proper layering, in downtown Boston.
    SteveD

60 is my limit. I'm weak...

Re: Running...how cold can you go?

I will run down into the teens wearing shorts, a underarmour type shirt, hat, and gloves. It's cold at the start, but once I get going I'm okay.

The biggest deterrent to winter running for me is ice and snow. They'll force me inside.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

I was out skinning the other morning but didn't realize it -6 (not much windchill) until my girlfiend and I realized our dogs were freezing. As long as they were running around they were ok but once we stopped (she has a golden and the ice balls in his paws were just becoming painful for him) we realized that we were just as cold. I usually pack my down jacket in my backpack and throw that on before skiing down.

Usually we check the temp before we meet in the morning but we just didn't think it was that cold. If its in the -'s most of the time we will bag the early morning session. It was -14 this morning....I barely could even walk with the dogs outside I was so chilled.

I have always liked running in the winter, with just a few light layers, nothing big and bulky.

Anyone have a favorite traction system for running outside all winter? I have used Yaktrax. It is good on snow and ice, but never lasted a whole winter without breaking and needing a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by mjg View Post
    Anyone have a favorite traction system for running outside all winter? I have used Yaktrax. It is good on snow and ice, but never lasted a whole winter without breaking and needing a new pair.
    I just use my trail runners and go slower.

So far my lowest is 20-22 degrees...biggest problem at that temp is that my hands are cold for the first 1.5 miles or so. Will be nice to run in 50-55 degree temps in FL on Saturday.

Have tried the elliptical and exercise bike inside but they just don't compare to getting outside for a good run. Better than sitting on the couch I guess.

Meh. Sorry, on cold days like today< i really enjoy my treadmill with the TV on it.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information