• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...how cold can you go?

drjeff

Meh. Sorry, on cold days like today< i really enjoy my treadmill with the TV on it.

It was chilly enough in my basement on my treadmill watching TV at 5AM this morning that I was glad that I had a long sleeve shirt on and almost thought at first about going back upstairs to put on a pair of running tights! :eek: Burned a decent amount of calories this morning without really getting a decent sweat going - it was COLD this morning!

hammer

On the flip side...how hot can you go? I know some can/will go quite hot but there has to be a point where it becomes hazardous...

hammer

Not sure how cold and dry it was this morning but it was definitely tough on the lungs...especially since I haven't run in weeks. Was good to get out nevertheless.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt and shorts this morning it was 21 degrees

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Lazer

This winter has pushed my cold running limits to a new low. I was out in -1 with a -13 windchill last weekend. My hands are really the only thing that gets cold, I had to pull out my ski mittens.

aswiley

I used to think 25 was about as low as I could run in, but this year have bumped that down to single-digits. Warm socks, gloves, and an ear warmer or hat and I'm happier in cold temps than hot!

ecarrizo

I used to think 25 was about as low as I could run in, but this year have bumped that down to single-digits. Warm socks, gloves, and an ear warmer or hat and I'm happier in cold temps than hot!

Yep. I used to look at people running outside in 30 degree weather (and snowstorms…) like they're nuts. Now, I just add layers and move on.

lexitempler

Thank you Skiing!

It was chilly enough in my basement on my treadmill watching TV at 5AM this morning that I was glad that I had a long sleeve shirt on and almost thought at first about going back upstairs to put on a pair of running tights! :eek: Burned a decent amount of calories this morning without really getting a decent sweat going - it was COLD this morning!

Haha, I head to the gym when it gets below 20. I'll use my bottom and baselayers from skiing to keep me warm. I just love being outside in all weather.

ecarrizo

I find it harder to deal with heat than with cold. After all, you can layer up in cold weather, but in hot weather at some point you run out of things to remove (legally, at least at first).

ScottySkis

I find it harder to deal with heat than with cold. After all, you can layer up in cold weather, but in hot weather at some point you run out of things to remove (legally, at least at first).

+1 even walking 3 miles in 70 degrees + makes me a sweat a lot.

Cornhead

I used to run outside from my local Y, an 8 mile loop. One day the flurries were flying. The only thing I was wearing on the bottom were a pair of Nike running shorts, nylon with a built in liner. When I got back to the Y I felt like I had to piss, but couldn't. I was fearful I had frostbite on the fifth appendage. Girlfriends are never around when you need them. She likes popsicles. I was never happier to hit the steam room after a workout. Luckily I didn't have to switch my membership to the YWCA.

I haven't run in years, I don't think my knees could handle it. I never cared for running in the cold. I'd rather run in high heat. I used to run around the track above the basketball courts at the Y in the Winter. No one uses it anymore, they all run on treadmills. It is probably easier on your joints. The track is made of cork, I believe, not nearly as cushy as a treadmill though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bigbog

Gotta be between a walk & jog for me. Found out early on that the hips can't take a marathon on pavement.
If one were to keep a daily log on me....I'd be missing many, many days...but not account of the temps, moreso from the ice/snow-laden trails(City Forest...2mi away). 200yd section of main sidestreet, just off the yard, is wide(even with snowbanks) with gradual incline in middle and is good in early AM. Gotta find the answer to that middleground between XC and slightly wider ski for flatland & rolling lands/woods moving towards true descents.

Last edited: