• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham - 11/30/12

ERJ-145CA

I went to Windham today to start my season, it was my first time there. They had Warpath Chute, The Wall, Upper and Lower Whistler and Upper and Lower Wolverine open. Since it was my first day since mid-March it took a few runs to get my ski legs back. After that it was great. The temp at the parking lot was 25 when I got there and 31 when I left. It also started snowing about noon and kept snowing all day, if it wasn't for the fact of the very limited terrain I would have sworn it was mid-January.

Snow conditions were very good. The upper trails were ungroomed and had lots of rollers and big piles of snow. The snow on the lower part of the mountain which was groomed overnight was packed powder and there was really no ice or hardpack. I skied 10 runs as that was all my legs could take. All in all a very good day with very good snow conditions, great way to start the season. :snow:

k123

Thanks for the report. Sounds pretty nice. If I can find a good deal to ride there on Sunday I would go. As of now I can go to Hunter for $60 (two people) with the Big Lift Card Discount. The best I can find for Windham is $40 per ticket on liftopia. Anyone know of any BOGOs or deals out there?

ScottySkis

Thanks for the report. Sounds pretty nice. If I can find a good deal to ride there on Sunday I would go. As of now I can go to Hunter for $60 (two people) with the Big Lift Card Discount. The best I can find for Windham is $40 per ticket on liftopia. Anyone know of any BOGOs or deals out there?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Sunday weather not looking to great fyi.

k123

ScottySkis

Thanks

Not ideal but it looks fine to me. Cloudy and mid 30s going into the 40s, no precipitation until after 3pm. The snow will be soft and that is always fun, and with the cloud cover it won't get too slushy.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Have fun times up their.

twinplanx

Anyone been to Windham recently? Do they have any glades worth mentioning? My original plan for Sunday has hit a snag and this may be my best option. :( The Windham website is claming 8" from this weeks storm. Adjusted for marketing I'd say that means about 6" on Tuesday = "packed powder" by the weekend. Since there does not seem to be any on map glades I'd guess any secret stashes will be skied off as well...

ScottySkis

Anyone been to Windham recently? Do they have any glades worth mentioning? My original plan for Sunday has hit a snag and this may be my best option. :( The Windham website is claming 8" from this weeks storm. Adjusted for marketing I'd say that means about 6" on Tuesday = "packed powder" by the weekend. Since there does not seem to be any on map glades I'd guess any secret stashes will be skied off as well...
They probably got 8 I haven't been their in a few years.

BenedictGomez

Anyone been to Windham recently? Do they have any glades worth mentioning? My original plan for Sunday has hit a snag and this may be my best option. :( The Windham website is claming 8" from this weeks storm. Adjusted for marketing I'd say that means about 6" on Tuesday = "packed powder" by the weekend..

I skied Windham on Sunday.

Conditions were pretty good, not great (I could tell I was skiing on man-made snow), although a SPH told me it was about the "best conditions of the season", which I was pretty skeptical about, but WTH do I know since it was my first time there.

After 10" (or so they claim) I imagine given it was already fairly decent without that snowfall, it should be skiing pretty well. Though I dont know about the steeper stuff, because I only skied 2 DD (Wheelchair and Wolverine) before giving up on them since they were unfun, icy, hard, boilerplate.

Glades? Not a chance in hell. If it wasnt "on trail", there was no snow. I dont mean that hyperbolically, I literally mean that in between ski trails or a few feet off the trails there wasnt a snowflake to be found, just bare, brown ground. The 10" they got wont make a difference there, so barring a 3 foot storm, glades skiing in the Catskills is 86th'd this year.

legalskier

Anyone been to Windham recently? Do they have any glades worth mentioning?

Haven't been to Windham lately so I can't help, but next door at Hunter yesterday the only powder stash I found that was safe to ski was on skier's left off Wayout (on piste trails had excellent coverage btw).
Platty & Belle have been picking up more snow. This was Belle on Sunday afternoon between upper Yahoo & Onteora:

Belle turns 3-17-13.JPG
They've picked up another foot since and expect more before the weekend, so you can point your skis into the trees anywhere at Belle and find the same. They're even highlighting it on their site: http://www.belleayre.com/promotions/picofday.htm
And as Scotty noted, Platty's probably in good shape too.

Wherever you decide on, have fun.

Last edited:

skiking4

Dope! Late March in the Catskills and trees are skiable and GOOD! :) :) :)

BenedictGomez

BG I bet Platty has glades with snow just ask the regular Platty people on here.

I doubt it. I was just there on Saturday and there was very little snow in the woods. I dont think 10" would do the trick. I mean, sure, you can go in if you want, but have the Ptex ready.