• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will New England See a New Ski Area In the Next 20 Years?

Dubld

As long as it doesn't intrude on Wildcat, it doesn't matter to me

BenedictGomez

We will be very lucky if still have a functioning NE ski industry in 20 years due to global warming. From projections that I have seen, models are showing that we ought to expect more winter precipitation in form of rain and sleet than snow. Temperature swings (prolonged melting, followed by freeze) will only increase making people less likely to come and spend good money to ski on crappy surfaces.

ROTFLMAO

P.T. Barnum was right.

Bumpsis

ROTFLMAO

P.T. Barnum was right.

I can't be certain why you're ROTFLYAO and implying that I'm a sucker, but at least I recognize facts when I see them.
Warmer winters are here and it will only get worse and to me that's rather sad.
You can laugh all you want but if that's becuse I recongize that global warming will mess with my winter passion, I can only shake my head in disbelief at people who still insist that global warming is not real.
Oh, here's short artiticle that's apropos to the subject:
http://articles.courant.com/2012-12...20121208_1_ski-areas-ski-sundown-powder-ridge

BenedictGomez

I can't be certain why you're ROTFLYAO and implying that I'm a sucker, but at least I recognize facts when I see them.

You dont recognize "facts", you recognize propaganda. Facts would mean indisputable evidence, which we do not have. An inconvenient fact would be that despite increasing CO2 levels as correctly predicted, the earth has not gotten warmer in about 15 or 16 years (unlike what was predicted), much to the chagrin of Global Warming scientists and their numerous wrong computer models. The entire hypothesis is broken and hanging by a thread.

The only thing keeping the industry known as Global Warming (aka Climate Change) going is crooked world governments, ever-eager to use this "cause" to fleece people and corporations of their money. Just because the earth currently is indeed in a warm period does not mean man is causing it. At very least, I wonder how many failed predictions are necessary before more and more people begin to question the great Global Warming scare.

globalwarmingisbroken.jpg

MadMadWorld

You dont recognize "facts", you recognize propaganda. Facts would mean indisputable evidence, which we do not have. An inconvenient fact would be that despite increasing CO2 levels as correctly predicted, the earth has not gotten warmer in about 15 or 16 years (unlike what was predicted), much to the chagrin of Global Warming scientists and their numerous wrong computer models. The entire hypothesis is broken and hanging by a thread.

The only thing keeping the industry known as Global Warming (aka Climate Change) going is crooked world governments, ever-eager to use this "cause" to fleece people and corporations of their money. Just because the earth currently is indeed in a warm period does not mean man is causing it. At very least, I wonder how many failed predictions are necessary before more and more people begin to question the great Global Warming scare.

globalwarmingisbroken.jpg

Indeed. We are just seeing a La Nina cycle. Western Canada and Alaska head record shattering snowfall records. When we transition to an El Nino winter, we will see a flip in snowfall totals. Very rarely does the west and east coast have equally good or bad winters.

dmc

Climate change is real... Man is accelerating it.
And your politics won't change that.

Businesses????? How about people!!!!! How about future generations?? I'm not going to waste the planet for the 1% and the few that follow them(Koch brothers) blindly

This is right wing political BS and not fit for discussion on this board imho..

Last edited:

Big Game

Climate change is real...

The dead horse awoke! I thought the internet put this sad religion to sleep.

Climate infers change.

Models in the 70s predicted cooling...and were wrong.
Models in the 90s predicted warming...and were wrong.

So thus, after a batting average of .000, the switch to the "climate change." Man-caused climate change. A premis that can never be disproved.

Very sneaky, sis.

Anyway, speakign of dead horses, we're more likely to see lift-accessed snowboarding at MRG then a new ski resort in the northeast. And snowboarding will never be allowed at MRG.

drjeff

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2012/20121205_arcticreportcard.html I posted this before but the Arctic is breaking records with melt of ice.:sad:

And yet at the same time the Antarctic is adding ice.

I think one of the tell tale signs that has to make any person who objectively look at the facts, is that over the last few years the "propaganda machine" has changed their main descriptive terminology from "global warming" to "climate change" :idea:

Has there been changes in our overall climate the last decade plus? I sure think so. Have there always been changes to our climate throughout history? Atleast during my lifetime there have, and I'm guessing from the scientific data retrospectively looking at climate that this has always been the case. We live in a dynamic, not a static environment. Do we need to respect it and do our part to be "good stewards" to it, sure.

Are the changes in climate really just attributable to man vs. just the "normal" climatic changes that occurr over time? That's a question that probably isn't as it might appear on the surface

Puck it

Just remember to look at who sponsored the data and that will tell why the data syas what it does!!!!!!

dmc

Get right will you!!!!
dead-ewok.gif

And Puckit makes fun of my personal appearance.... Really classy..
This is what happens when people can't be civil in a discussion and why I'm calling this thread out as political and uncivil... As show above..

drjeff

Just remember to look at who sponsored the data and that will tell why the data syas what it does!!!!!!

That is a key tennet in the process of teaching "critical thinking." When looking at a scientific paper, one should never 1st look at the results, but look at the "materials and methods" section and who was funding the research. If how the research was done is sound, and one is aware of any potential bias based on the funding sources, then you can objectively look at the data obtained to see if it's good science or not.

MadMadWorld

Let's all go out and buy some carbon credits and be thankful that Al Gore invented the internet and Global Warming!

dmc

Let's all go out and buy some carbon credits and be thankful that Al Gore invented the internet and Global Warming!

Al Gore NEVER said he invented the internet.. Thats a Neo-Con lie...

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Climate change is real... Man is accelerating it.
And your politics won't change that.

Has there been changes in our overall climate the last decade plus? I sure think so. Have there always been changes to our climate throughout history? Atleast during my lifetime there have, and I'm guessing from the scientific data retrospectively looking at climate that this has always been the case. We live in a dynamic, not a static environment. Do we need to respect it and do our part to be "good stewards" to it, sure.

Are the changes in climate really just attributable to man vs. just the "normal" climatic changes that occurr over time? That's a question that probably isn't as it might appear on the surface

Every timeframe referenced for Global Warming and Climate Change is insignificant in the hisory of the world. Even a 100 year trend isn't statistically significant.

Bottom line, we don't anything.

dmc