• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any good iPhone apps?

TheArchitect

Sugarbush's app has a tracking feature. MotionX lets you use a bunch of different map types, sometimes one will have ski trails.

I have the Sugarbush app so I'll check it out. As for other locations, I guess I should have read the other posts more closely. Based on what mccleaks is saying it looks like Trace will give me a map of what runs I skied. It may not be on a trail map but it should be easy enough to look at the map and trail map together and figure it out.

mccleaks, do you find it accurate with just the iPhone app? I see that Trace has a separate device that's supposed to be more accurate but I'm not going to drop $200 on it.

cdskier

I used the Sugarbush app when it first came out and didn't care for the accuracy of it. You'd see your tracks diverging from trails periodically. Not sure if they've improved it the past few years.

With MotionX, while it has quite a few map types on the iphone within the app that you can look at with your tracks, personally I prefer to export the tracks and import them into google Earth on my computer if I want to look at the tracks on a map overlay.

Then you can look at something like this:
tracks.jpg

TheArchitect

That looks like a good option. I'm heading out to Alta-Snowbird in a few weeks and I want to track what I ski when I'm there.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Is there an app that tracks what trails you skied that day? In other words, if I'm at Sugarbush skiing will the app tell me what trails I skied that day in addition to vertical, speed, distance, etc? I would think with GPS and a map underlay it could be done.

Trace does this. It maps all your runs and you can look at each run individually. It will tell you stats for each run as well. It keeps track of sustained speed, max speed, avg speed, distance, vert, calories, slope time and jumps.

boston_e

I like Ski Tracks (although I don't use any app too often).

The Vail Resorts / Epic App or whatever they call it is the most useless app in the world.

Glenn

gmcunni

starting to not like trace. seems buggy for me (free user) and while i like(d) the way it integrated with social media it just doesn't work consistently. I still track my days (links in sig) but looking for something better.

Any hot new apps for tracking?

Ski Tracks for me. Gives me all the data I need and I've been using it for years. I finally broke down and spent the $0.99 for the full version as the free version only allowed you to keep 5 days worth of info.

Battery usage is fine as I'll ski most of a full day and still have ~50% battery remaining. Of course I always make sure I start off w as full a battery as possible. Remembering to turn it on has sometimes been an issue, but now I just turn it on as I'm putting my boots on in the lodge and haven't forgotten in awhile.

I'm a stat geek (or have become one over the years) and have been tracking my ski days on Excel w various other details such as weather, costs and various notes along w the stats. It's interesting to look back on over the years of data and experiences and makes for fun summertime diversions.

x10003q

starting to not like trace. seems buggy for me (free user) and while i like(d) the way it integrated with social media it just doesn't work consistently. I still track my days (links in sig) but looking for something better.

Any hot new apps for tracking?

I just went from a Note 4 to a Note 9 and ski tracks works way better now.