• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any good iPhone apps?

richnchris

I just started skiing and was wondering if anyone has feedback on the apps that are out there?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well I would start with Tapatalk so you can come visit AlpineZone all day every day :)

There was a thread earlier. Trying to find it.

richnchris

anyone use navionics ski, ski tracks, or realski? I would hate to buy them all, even though they are under $5.

Glenn

My wife and I use ski tracks...the $.99 version It works really well. It logs more data than we could ever use. You can share your stats on FB pretty easily. IIRC, it posts the graphs that you see in the app: Run count &time, map, altitude in speed, and stats screen (max speed, total distance, runs, altitude, vertical)

WinnChill

After a LONG wait, the Snowforecast.com iPhone App is now available! Feel free to check out our Facebook page for details or go straight to iTunes.

-WC

SnowRock

After a LONG wait, the Snowforecast.com iPhone App is now available! Feel free to check out our Facebook page for details or go straight to iTunes.

-WC

Looks and works great on iphone and ipad!

I use Ski Tracks as well.. has anyone used both Ski Tracks and Alpine Replay? and have an opinion one way or the other?

gmcunni

haven't used both, only alpinereplay. good for accumulating stats but next year i want to try something different.

BeefyBoy50

ski tracks is awesome! also alpine replay and the rossignol speed tracker app both accomplish the same thing and are cheap.
Don't download snow edge (it sucks)

ADKme

I couldn't find a more recent thread, so I'll add on here.

What's the best ski tracker apps everyone is using? Looking for one that won't drain my battery too quickly in an area that doesn't have great cell service (Gore). Thanks!

gmcunni

I couldn't find a more recent thread, so I'll add on here.

What's the best ski tracker apps everyone is using? Looking for one that won't drain my battery too quickly in an area that doesn't have great cell service (Gore). Thanks!

i'm still using Trace(formerly alpinereplay) on my iphone. if i don't do much on my phone during the day i get a full day of tracking.

cdskier

I like my all around GPS tracking app (MotionX GPS). It does everything I want/need and can be used for more than just skiing (i.e. hiking, etc). It tracks vertical (ascent and descent numbers separately), distance, time, max speed. You can export your tracks in either .kmz or .gpx file types so you can import them in other apps on your computer if you want. It also has a ton of features that I've used.

Jully

i'm still using Trace(formerly alpinereplay) on my iphone. if i don't do much on my phone during the day i get a full day of tracking.

I started with Trace this season to try it out. I don't really have any issues with it. It tends to under report vertical sometimes, but other than that its been great. Never had a cell signal use problem (I sometimes even have data off and it works fine) and my relatively weak-battery android usually goes from ~90% to ~40% in a day of use.

I've previously used Allsnow which was not great in terms of features.

mccleaks

I started with Trace this season to try it out. I don't really have any issues with it. It tends to under report vertical sometimes, but other than that its been great. Never had a cell signal use problem (I sometimes even have data off and it works fine) and my relatively weak-battery android usually goes from ~90% to ~40% in a day of use.

I also use Trace. I'm able to run it all day along with playing music from a downloaded Spotify list. As long as it isn't too freezing cold out my battery will last the full day with both those running. Trace will give you a map of all the runs you did and break down your vertical, top speed, average speed, total distance, etc. I dont always remember to turn it on, but its interesting to see the day's stats when I remember to use it.
I have a friend who has the actual tracker device from Trace. You have to buy it (for a lot of money) and it sticks onto your ski. I guess that keeps more accurate stats and does not need any power from your phone while tracking you. I think it's like 200 bucks which is just way more money than I could see spending on such a thing. If you're really into the stats from your day he loves it though.

mccleaks

I also use Trace. I'm able to run it all day along with playing music from a downloaded Spotify list. As long as it isn't too freezing cold out my battery will last the full day with both those running. Trace will give you a map of all the runs you did and break down your vertical, top speed, average speed, total distance, etc. I dont always remember to turn it on, but its interesting to see the day's stats when I remember to use it.
I have a friend who has the actual tracker device from Trace. You have to buy it (for a lot of money) and it sticks onto your ski. I guess that keeps more accurate stats and does not need any power from your phone while tracking you. I think it's like 200 bucks which is just way more money than I could see spending on such a thing. If you're really into the stats from your day he loves it though.

cdskier

And for anyone with battery issues (especially in cold weather), I highly recommend a portable USB charger. They are small, cheap and work great to keep your phone charged in the cold while skiing.

TheArchitect

Is there an app that tracks what trails you skied that day? In other words, if I'm at Sugarbush skiing will the app tell me what trails I skied that day in addition to vertical, speed, distance, etc? I would think with GPS and a map underlay it could be done.

benski

Is there an app that tracks what trails you skied that day? In other words, if I'm at Sugarbush skiing will the app tell me what trails I skied that day in addition to vertical, speed, distance, etc? I would think with GPS and a map underlay it could be done.

Sugarbush's app has a tracking feature. MotionX lets you use a bunch of different map types, sometimes one will have ski trails.