• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day

Cheese

dude, put your hands thru the pole straps the way God intended it :smash:

I kept that out of my comments but I'm glad you called him out. wtf.gif

Tighten them up and slip 4 fingers through there, Nick! No worries of having a shoulder dislocated in the trees when only 4 fingers are used.

kingslug

Nice..the one thing I learned about getting in shape for skiing is that running is great for stamina but doesn't get the legs ready. I skied moguls for 2 days at Hunter..and while I'm totaly shot..the legs are fine...weight lifting, seems to be the only thing that works...and lots of Aleve after...hope the weather stays good, want to get to Magic sometime this season when its fully open...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nice..the one thing I learned about getting in shape for skiing is that running is great for stamina but doesn't get the legs ready. I skied moguls for 2 days at Hunter..and while I'm totaly shot..the legs are fine...weight lifting, seems to be the only thing that works...and lots of Aleve after...hope the weather stays good, want to get to Magic sometime this season when its fully open...

Yup! I was doing p90x in the fall and was feeling really good but fell off of it in late Oct / Nov / Dec and just reverted to running. I can totally tell.

Bene288

At magic now. Lift busted, been down for half an hour. They just got a kicker motor to get every one on the chairs up. Great mountain regardless!

bheemsoth

At magic now. Lift busted, been down for half an hour. They just got a kicker motor to get every one on the chairs up. Great mountain regardless!

Sorry to hear that. The snow was great at Magic yesterday. My run of the day was Broomstick -> Heart of Magician. Great conditions and no skiier traffic.

Like others have said - the downside was the lift lines. It was great to see the parking lot full and tons of skiiers (I would guess that yesterday was one of Magic's best days in a couple of seasons) but the lift lines were unacceptable. We skiied 8:45-4 and probably only got 10-11 runs in, since from 10am-3pm the lift lines were 20 minutes or worse. If the Black Chair was offline for some reason that's one thing, but if they were not running that due to staffing savings, I find that to be completely unacceptable. To compound matters they were only able to fill 3 out of 4 chairs on the Red due to lift issues. The chair stopped while we were on it for about 8 minutes early in the day, and one of the lifties mentioned that it was a heat issue related to the first full load of the season.

So, at the end of the day it's a mixed bag. It was great to see Magic bringing in a ton of people for the holiday week, but at the same time it made me long for a 3 chair wait on a mid-winter Saturday, and also raised some potential red flags about the ability/desire of Magic to keep their customers satisfied.

Anyways, we're still huge fans of the mountain, and will be there several more times this year.

Bene288

I'm not worried. My ticket was cheap, so I'm not going to complain.There really aren't too many people here and until the lift broke it was ski on. Just hike up Show Off I believe. I'm enjoying it anyway. I love the vibe of this place.

kingslug

Yup! I was doing p90x in the fall and was feeling really good but fell off of it in late Oct / Nov / Dec and just reverted to running. I can totally tell.
If you analyze it you really need a lot of leg strength, what hurts the most after skiing?? the quads...its totaly different than running, you're pressing down for several seconds with all your bodyweight plus the additional weight created by any slight G forces due to speed. pro racers experience up to 3 Gs..so Body Miller is heaving around 600 pounds in the turns. its why Squats and deadlifts are the best. P90 x looks like a killer workout for stamina and core strength but nothing will beat heavy leg exercise..its the only way I can survive 7 days plus in a row on big mountains with insane vert like Big Sky and Jackson...

reefer

Some pics from the day:

First day on ole Red:
url=http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/magic-mountain-12-27-12/p14685-dscn4603.html]
DSCN4603.JPG
[/url]

Heavy dense shit:

dumping at times.....

DSCN4604.JPG
[/url]

That is Nick. Unfortunately at that point in the day I couldn't see or stand straight, never mind hold a camera steady......

Last edited:

twinplanx

I think if you should raise the camera angle slightly up it would enhance the viewers perspective. I just like to get a better idea of what is downhill.... Enjoyed your video none the less. The soundtrack definitely perked my interest. Love that effect on the guitar. Title & Artist please?

powbmps

Nice TR. I was up there solo Thursday as well. Probably saw you at some point. Awesome day.

jrmagic

Jsut saw the video Nick. that dy was spectacular. Not sure if you knew it but you captured OrangeGondola and Rusty Groomer in your vid. Hope you come back to see us.

@Rivercoil and others.... Several of us were talking to management about the clipped tickets.. (my nephew and cousin had theirs pulled along with a couple of friends).. it wasn't supposed to go down that way and there were apologies made. I know patrol would like to get to a place where the ropes need to be respected and management agrees as long as there is a liberal policy on what is open... its been a couepl of years in the works but apparantly still needs ALOT more ironing out.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Jsut saw the video Nick. that dy was spectacular. Not sure if you knew it but you captured OrangeGondola and Rusty Groomer in your vid. Hope you come back to see us.

@Rivercoil and others.... Several of us were talking to management about the clipped tickets.. (my nephew and cousin had theirs pulled along with a couple of friends).. it wasn't supposed to go down that way and there were apologies made. I know patrol would like to get to a place where the ropes need to be respected and management agrees as long as there is a liberal policy on what is open... its been a couepl of years in the works but apparantly still needs ALOT more ironing out.
Cool, good to hear that it is being re-evaluated. I think skiers respect ropes when the ski area respects the skier. Ski areas need to figure out that balance point. I thought Magic was always very liberal with rope dropping but it seems like the ropes were to preserve untracked snow for the weekend which just can't happen, any where, and especially not at Magic. Hopefully that won't happen again. I'd certainly be ducking if that happens when I am there. That is total disrespect for the customer... so no wonder the ropes got disrespected in return.