Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    dude, put your hands thru the pole straps the way God intended it
    I kept that out of my comments but I'm glad you called him out. wtf.gif

Tighten them up and slip 4 fingers through there, Nick! No worries of having a shoulder dislocated in the trees when only 4 fingers are used.
    Quiver:
    Rossignol Experience 88 HD (All Mountain)
    Rossignol Hero Master M18 (GS Carver)
    Rossignol Soul 7 HD (Off Piste) 136/106/126
    Rossignol Super 7 (Snorkel) 140/116/130

Re: Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day

There is am entire thread on that topic somewhere

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Nice..the one thing I learned about getting in shape for skiing is that running is great for stamina but doesn't get the legs ready. I skied moguls for 2 days at Hunter..and while I'm totaly shot..the legs are fine...weight lifting, seems to be the only thing that works...and lots of Aleve after...hope the weather stays good, want to get to Magic sometime this season when its fully open...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Wow, those pics look amazing!.....glad to hear you ran into Reefer, he's a hot s***. Will need to make a trip up to Magic soon!

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Nice..the one thing I learned about getting in shape for skiing is that running is great for stamina but doesn't get the legs ready. I skied moguls for 2 days at Hunter..and while I'm totaly shot..the legs are fine...weight lifting, seems to be the only thing that works...and lots of Aleve after...hope the weather stays good, want to get to Magic sometime this season when its fully open...
    Yup! I was doing p90x in the fall and was feeling really good but fell off of it in late Oct / Nov / Dec and just reverted to running. I can totally tell.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day

At magic now. Lift busted, been down for half an hour. They just got a kicker motor to get every one on the chairs up. Great mountain regardless!

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation

Re: Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day

Quote Originally Posted by Bene288 View Post
    At magic now. Lift busted, been down for half an hour. They just got a kicker motor to get every one on the chairs up. Great mountain regardless!

Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene288 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. The snow was great at Magic yesterday. My run of the day was Broomstick -> Heart of Magician. Great conditions and no skiier traffic.

Like others have said - the downside was the lift lines. It was great to see the parking lot full and tons of skiiers (I would guess that yesterday was one of Magic's best days in a couple of seasons) but the lift lines were unacceptable. We skiied 8:45-4 and probably only got 10-11 runs in, since from 10am-3pm the lift lines were 20 minutes or worse. If the Black Chair was offline for some reason that's one thing, but if they were not running that due to staffing savings, I find that to be completely unacceptable. To compound matters they were only able to fill 3 out of 4 chairs on the Red due to lift issues. The chair stopped while we were on it for about 8 minutes early in the day, and one of the lifties mentioned that it was a heat issue related to the first full load of the season.

So, at the end of the day it's a mixed bag. It was great to see Magic bringing in a ton of people for the holiday week, but at the same time it made me long for a 3 chair wait on a mid-winter Saturday, and also raised some potential red flags about the ability/desire of Magic to keep their customers satisfied.

Anyways, we're still huge fans of the mountain, and will be there several more times this year.

Magic Mountain - 12/27/2012 Powder Day

I'm not worried. My ticket was cheap, so I'm not going to complain.There really aren't too many people here and until the lift broke it was ski on. Just hike up Show Off I believe. I'm enjoying it anyway. I love the vibe of this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yup! I was doing p90x in the fall and was feeling really good but fell off of it in late Oct / Nov / Dec and just reverted to running. I can totally tell.
    If you analyze it you really need a lot of leg strength, what hurts the most after skiing?? the quads...its totaly different than running, you're pressing down for several seconds with all your bodyweight plus the additional weight created by any slight G forces due to speed. pro racers experience up to 3 Gs..so Body Miller is heaving around 600 pounds in the turns. its why Squats and deadlifts are the best. P90 x looks like a killer workout for stamina and core strength but nothing will beat heavy leg exercise..its the only way I can survive 7 days plus in a row on big mountains with insane vert like Big Sky and Jackson...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information