• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skin Jay

Huck_It_Baby

It's my understanding Jay has an open policy which allows skinning anywhere on the mountain even during operational hours. Can anyone confirm this?

For any of you who have skinned Jay before what route have you taken?

I've hiked the LT from 242 before but am curious what others do...?

Thanks!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't know about during operational hours. I certainly wouldn't recommend skinning up any trails that are open and have a lot of downhill traffic. I've skinned Jay frequently while they were open but only on closed trails, never on open ones going against traffic.

As far as route, it depends on where you want to ski. Angel's Wiggle or Hell's Crossing from Stateside is a good starting point and then you can either go Montrealer to the Jet, Northway to the top of the Bonnie, or Vermonter to the summit. From Tramside, Lower River to the Goat would get the job done.

Again, I would strongly advise against this while Jay is open... all of these routes see considerable traffic, especially in the Montrealer/Northway intersection, always a cluster. Goat should definitely not be attempted while Jay is open, also a cluster, wind blown, and bodies everywhere on a narrow trail.

Huck_It_Baby

Thanks rivercOil! Good advice. I was reading this article which quotes Steve Write Saying, "have at it, just about anywhere on the mountain".

Seems pretty liberal!

I was thinking if the trails are too crowded then I could go up the Long Trail and come out near Vermonter to get to the summit. This puts me at the base upon my decent while my car is then up 242 at the LT/Dip lot. Not the greatest plan.

http://vtsports.com/resort-policies-on-uphill-travel

Thanks rivercOil! Good advice. I was reading this article which quotes Steve Write Saying, "have at it, just about anywhere on the mountain".

Seems pretty liberal!

I was thinking if the trails are too crowded then I could go up the Long Trail and come out near Vermonter to get to the summit. This puts me at the base upon my decent while my car is then up 242 at the LT/Dip lot. Not the greatest plan.

http://vtsports.com/resort-policies-on-uphill-travel

If you are going to put in the effort to skin up the LT, why not ski the Dip back to your car? There are nice options (from the same parking spot) on the other side of the 242 that are pretty easy to figure out.

Huck_It_Baby

If you are going to put in the effort to skin up the LT, why not ski the Dip back to your car? There are nice options (from the same parking spot) on the other side of the 242 that are pretty easy to figure out.

Yeah that is one plan which I have done before and really enjoyed. The Dip is such a great run. I thought I'd go to the summit and ski the chutes which is why I was asking about routes others have taken.

Last time I was hiking the LT I saw a couple ppl skin up the other side of 242. What is it like over there?

I'm thinking of heading up tomorrow. Weighing my options now as I drink left over Champagne and recovering from last night. =)

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Last time I was hiking the LT I saw a couple ppl skin up the other side of 242. What is it like over there?

Depends on where you go. :) There are some nice glades fairly close to the road that are pretty common knowledge. There are other trails much further from the road that aren't so well known and off still have untracked a few days after a storm.

Huck_It_Baby

Depends on where you go. :) There are some nice glades fairly close to the road that are pretty common knowledge. There are other trails much further from the road that aren't so well known and off still have untracked a few days after a storm.

I spied some pretty open and untracked lines on the other side of 242 yesterday. I might head up there next time to explore a little bit.

Huck_It_Baby

I ended up skiing the Dip for logistical reasons with the car at the LT lot. Had a great time and found a new rock drop I had never discovered in the past. A short run but sweet!

Huck_It_Baby

If it is the one I know of (biggest one in there as far as I know), I've spent quite a few laps sending that thing.

Does the one you mention have a tree on the left right at the top of the drop and then it sends you into a little gully?