• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Trail Slides (near Berkshire East) 1/4/12

bdfreetuna

Nice! Good to hear about locations in western Mass.

I don't do much backcountry but I am saving the main slide between the cliffs at the summit of Mt. Tom for later in the spring.

TheBEast

Outstanding! Great find.....

bdfreetuna - I used to live in Easthampton and would look at that slide on Mt. Tom weekly. Takes just the right conditions to ski. I haven't skied it but did head up there one fall and its basically made up of large loose scree and really would take a solid base to cover all that and then it certainly is steep enough to slide so the solid base layer you need to cover the rocks also makes for a perfect sliding surface. Just my two cents but doable given the right conditions.

bdfreetuna

Hey, BEast, yeah I actually scoped it out as well as a few of the other gullies up there a couple months ago before the snow. Seems like the main slide is the only one that doesn't have massive rocks or an insane drop-in.

Probably going to wait 'till spring when hopefully there will be a decent base and the snow will be soft but also more stuck to the surface.

It's too tempting not to attempt :)