• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$towe 1/7

mlkrgr

I couldn't resist going to Stowe seeing the amount of snowfall and the bus I saw going there today with paying $79 for the lift ticket and transportation. Got to Methuen to catch the bus at 6 to be there 15 minutes early and ended up getting a couple "midweek bus" donuts. Got to the hill around 9:30. It was a nice day and they were blowing snow like crazy on the front four and they were closed throughout the day. The amount of snow that was being blown was so much that all you could see around you is white snow. The word was that they were too icy yesterday from someone that skied them on 1/6 that rode the lift with me today. I went down hayride which had nice soft bumps. There were also plenty of fresh lines of powder to be had in the trees and whirlaway, which is a nice winding trail in Upper Spruce. Upper Smugglers also skied very nicely. Chin clip also had nice and soft bumps on the trail too.

bdfreetuna

Can't believe the front four were even momentarily closed considering everyone else around 100% open and Stowe with the most snow.

Too icey my ass. Maybe I like it icey!

BTW I like the incorporation of a $ into the word $towe.

KevinF

The front four? Icy? I was there all weekend. They had blown snow on skier's left of the 13 Pitch (the last steep part of Liftline) , so that was kinda messy, but there were nice big soft bumps on skiers right of the 13 Pitch. And they had blown snow on the last pitch of National as well, but the bumps were staying soft. Maybe they froze up something awful overnight? They've certainly left National and Liftline open when those things are hockey rinks though.

They might have closed them because of having snowmaking hoses all over the place or some such that they didn't want people skiing over, but it sure wasn't because of "icy" conditions.

mlkrgr

Can't believe the front four were even momentarily closed considering everyone else around 100% open and Stowe with the most snow.

Too icey my ass. Maybe I like it icey!

BTW I like the incorporation of a $ into the word $towe.

I know and it was quite unbelievable. The temptation to duck the rope was pretty darn big but I decided not to since there was an area they were blowing so hard you could only see 2 feet in front of you. There was almost no other ice on the mountain and even Chin Clip was in great shape as you usually get ice there first.