• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak- lodging help?

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
Looking to get up to Jay this Friday and need to find a decent inexpensive place to stay Thursday night. Love it if anyone has recommendations!
Thanks!

Cornhead

If looking for just a bed, more specifically a mattress on a box spring, the Snowshoe Lodge in Montgomery will fit the bill. Just don't expect anything but snow on your TV. On the upside, it is color snow, and I did get perfect sound on three or four channels my first visit. The bar is pretty cool, good food, live bands. If you like neighborhood bars, check them out, even if you don't stay in the flop house upstairs, lots of entertaining locals. http://www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com/

BenedictGomez

Lodging for Jay is a bit tough. It would help if you told us what direction you are coming from?

If you're coming from the west or through NY state and looking for an area with some restaurants, grocery stores etc... there's an Econo Lodge in St. Albans (exactly 1 hour to Jay). Many people that ski Jay just stay in Burlington with its' myriad lodging options, though that's 1h 25 minute drive to Jay. If you just want to be close and dont care about the particulars, there are at least 3 or 5 little motels/inns/B&Bs near Jay. Just do a GOOG maps lodging search with a zoomed in view on the Montgomery/Jay Peak area and they'll pop up.

Last edited:

wtcobb

I stayed at Grampa Grunts and ate at Snowshoe on 12/30. The beds at Grampa Grunts are comfortable, but the place is very rustic. Pretty much all the furniture looks like it was found on the side of the road. There is a pool table downstairs, and if there's a good crowd it can be cool, but be prepared to be woken up late at night or at the crack of dawn. It's like living in a college dorm again, basically.

Snowshoe had cheap beer and good eats. Strange crowd, but friendly crowd.

crank

Newport City Motel a couple minutes off 91 and 25 minutes to the mountain. Cheap and comfortable enough. A step up from the grunt thing. I have never stayed at Snowshoe but have been told that the noise from the live bands makes it a bit hard to get to sleep.

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
Still haven't made it up this year! Thanks for the info on SS and the like, I'll check them out. What the heck happened to the Cedarwood resort?!

Mpdsnowman

For what its worth I think staying on the resort is the way to go even for a night. Now that the jay hotel is up and running you do get your lift ticket and the water park and your right there....Im all for Grunts and sheady acres. If Bill didnt buy out Ursula I would have highly recommended the snowline but its gone sad to say...Theres even some nice rentals in alpine haven which are cheap (3 miles from village road).

I just think when you add everything up it comes out a little more but just for the convenience and the fact you dont have to get up and rush up 242 and deal with the parking, moving your gear and the whole nine yards...you will make first tram with little effort after you had a nice cheap egg platter (3 bucks) in the main lodge...

They have a lot more to offer now with the jay hotel addition.....will it cost you more..a little...but worth it imho

Dave L

Website
newbski.blogspot.com
Cedarwood Resort, 3 miles from Jay.
Cedarwood is closed, which I was actually trying to find out what happened. It was nice to have other options.
Mpdsnowman:
I hear you, I'd love to stay on the slopes. Before I get into my beefs, let me say this, although I'm sure some die hards would disagree, I feel ultimately the intensive development at the mountain (or resort) is beneficial to the surrounding area as well as to perks like expanded terrain, amenities and the like. Lets face it, in a changing climate, Jay gets snow and lots of it. It's development would have eventually happened regardless. I'm not super familiar with the EB5 program so I will not venture to say if that is helping local folks stay gainfully employed or not. So on with it.
Customer service feels big distant and condescending. Over the last three years I've been misinformed, oversold and flat out lied to regarding lodging availability and packages. Sorry, that's so not the Vermont I love. I also have to say that $560 lodging only, for two nights midweek for a one bedroom at the tram house is steeper than the chutes. Depending on the rep you talk to some tell you a package must be purchased in order to book lodging. That's a big hit for convenience if you ask me.
resultantly, I would think "outsider" hotels bars and restaurants could flourish in that kind of disparity, yet they are all selling out.
i guess I'm an underdog fan, but I'll still come for the hoots and hollers

Mpdsnowman

You are right when you speak of their customer service...They do need to go to politeness school lol...
And I will say this. They do make changes in their pricing on bookings on an instant...

I am bringing a group of 55 there starting tomorrow. I book way in advance and negotiate the contract. Ive got a great fiduciary history with them. But I found out that rooms that were being booked at 200.00 per night (including water park and lift tix) 12 days ago are now going for $321.00 per night (this was last nights check).

That being said I really think overall in most cases, timing being everything to stay on the resort nowadays is the best option. But then again if you stay in Montgomery Center or Jay itself your there anyway.... and it is a great option...

I think what is happening up there is stenger is buying everyone out in the hotel business....one way or the other. And nobody really wants to fight it..why should they. If he is willing to flip you one million dollars and a lifetime pass at jay its not a bad option.

crank

I have always found that when it comes to Jay Peak timing is everything... Condition wise and lodging price wise as well. I have stayed at both the old and new Hotel Jay and the Tramhaus lodge for some really great rates that included skiing. I have always found their standard, non-deal pricing to be high and when faced with the choice of paying full price will stay off mountain.

+1 on Alpine Haven, 3 miles down the road, cheap and decent condos. You can even ski there from Jay, or Big Jay I believe, but you should know where you're going before attempting it.

gmcunni

grandpa gumps and snow shoe still considered good options?

GG web site won't load on my pc, gets security alerts.