• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nuclear Snow Squall = Surprise Powder at Saddleback January 20, 2013

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: January 20, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Saddleback

Conditions: Packed Powder / Hardpack to Afternoon Powder

Trip Report: A nuclear snow squall rolled through about 1pm at Saddleback today dumping a quick 3" making a really fun day on the mountain. First time I had skied in pure white-out conditions. I literally could not see where my next turn was going to be. After the snow ended the Skiers left of Tight Line kept filling in with fresh snow as the wind pushed it in. The snow also got the glades going again making for some soft turns.

Over our weekend Saddleback probably picked up a good 6" or so helping things out considerably. They are still a good snow storm dumping away from getting 100% open again, but they have made considerable progress since last weekend's meltdown.

Pics and a couple of cell phone videos at my blog:

http://www.maineskifamily.com/2013/01/surprise-powder-day-at-saddleback.html

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR. I've only been to Saddleback once, last March, and only the lower mountain was open. Will be there on Friday, February 8th, prior to the AZ Summit with BackLoafRiver, and any other AZer's who can make it. Looking forward to exploring the upper mountain. Hopefully Ullr will cooperate.

salsgang

Thanks for the TR. I've only been to Saddleback once, last March, and only the lower mountain was open. Will be there on Friday, February 8th, prior to the AZ Summit with BackLoafRiver, and any other AZer's who can make it. Looking forward to exploring the upper mountain. Hopefully Ullr will cooperate.

Hope you guys have a great time at both Saddleback and Sugarloaf at the AZ Summit. I have commitments next weekend so I can't make the summit unfortunately. Eyeballing the weather for the next week it is gonna stay cold and maybe some snow chances particularly late week / weekend. Should be pretty good skiing regardless.

Cornhead

Hope you guys have a great time at both Saddleback and Sugarloaf at the AZ Summit. I have commitments next weekend so I can't make the summit unfortunately. Eyeballing the weather for the next week it is gonna stay cold and maybe some snow chances particularly late week / weekend. Should be pretty good skiing regardless.
You're not available Friday, are you? Be nice to have a local guide. I enjoy reading your blog on Saddleback, what a great place, wish it weren't nine hours from home. I had fun hanging and shooting the shit with the patrollers at the hut at the top of the Rangley lift, I could have curled up on one of the old couches and slept right there for the night. Great views from up there too. I believe I've read of someone skinning to the shack on the big hill, and staying overnight, that'd be cool.There may have been mention of pilfering their beers, don't quote me on that one. ;-)

salsgang

You're not available Friday, are you? Be nice to have a local guide. I enjoy reading your blog on Saddleback, what a great place, wish it weren't nine hours from home. I had fun hanging and shooting the shit with the patrollers at the hut at the top of the Rangley lift, I could have curled up on one of the old couches and slept right there for the night. Great views from up there too. I believe I've read of someone skinning to the shack on the big hill, and staying overnight, that'd be cool.There may have been mention of pilfering their beers, don't quote me on that one. ;-)

VERY TEMPTING but my kids are racing at Shawnee Friday. My senior's last go around so like to catch all the action that I can. Here are my "must do's"

Blue Groomer Bomber Run - Silver Doctor off the T-bar. After the initial steep section you can really lay into some super-G turns.

Black Groomer Bomber Run - Tight Line from the top. Ayuh.

Natural Trail Bump Run - Peachy's Peril. Hug the left side for the first third for freshies.

Glade Run - You will have to venture to Casablanca to check it out. Lots of lines in there. If the snow is on highly recommend upper nightmare glade.

Have fun!

Cornhead

Thanks for the tips salsgang, sorry you can't join us, I'm sure we'll have a great time. I love skiing Maine, glad I finally made the effort a couple years ago, was skiing the back side of the Loaf on April 29th, gotta love it!