• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying a new snowboard

jswan08

Hi I'm a beginner rider 5'11" 155 lbs 11.5 boot looking for a suitable board just to ride at resorts mainly groomed courses not really looking to go to the park just yet. I had a burton aftermath 158cm that just cracked to the core ( had to have been a manufacturer defect ) that I'm returning. I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to which board I should buy preferably burton. I have the burton 2013 freestyle bindings and dc phase 2013 boots. It seems as I need a mid wide board but I really cant afford paying more than 300-350ish for a board. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ScottySkis

Rent season rentals, much cheaper then buying new, and see what you like, also try demo days at local hill.

stealthyc

The Arbor Formula is a great board! It's $299 and beginner friendly, but will still work for you when your skills progress. It's rocker with grip tech so it will hold an edge, while still being easy to progress on. The grip tech allows you to fit up to a size 12 on a regular width board because the grip tech bumps out right in the middle of the insert pack.

Mpdsnowman

Hi I'm a beginner rider 5'11" 155 lbs 11.5 boot looking for a suitable board just to ride at resorts mainly groomed courses not really looking to go to the park just yet. I had a burton aftermath 158cm that just cracked to the core ( had to have been a manufacturer defect ) that I'm returning. I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to which board I should buy preferably burton. I have the burton 2013 freestyle bindings and dc phase 2013 boots. It seems as I need a mid wide board but I really cant afford paying more than 300-350ish for a board. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Size wise is the most important thing. Based on your height and weight you should get a board in the size range of 155 (a shorter board that will make it easier for you to turn and ride things like glades, park and groomers) to a 162(A longer board you would use for chasing powder, long cruising groomers etc...). If you get something in the middle that would accommodate both ends yet give you the ability to grow into the board....

The next thing would be the style....Your "camber" style is the basic style. Typically you would find this on an older board. To ride a camber board will teach you to carve better imo than say a "Hybrid" which is a rocker/camber style. You can tell the difference simply by laying the board on a carpet and gently kicking the back end. If it swings easy it has rocker in it. If it grabs its a camber lol....

Keep in mind when you go to your local shop im certain they will explain this to you....

Finally is your price and mfg lol... Honestly I believe all mfg's are fine. Ive found that Head, flow, Ride really do make good beginner and intermediate boards but you would and should pay less than any Burton. You will find a great Burton used board cheaper cause there are so many of them out there...

Based on what your posting and again this is all imo I would suggest a Head concept D to start with. It wont cost you much maybe 100 bucks lol..There fast tanks, you can run em and beat em...

Your bindings and boots will work fine as they would with any board you pick....