• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best pass for the Seascoast NH crowd

kickstand

I do the 93 to exit 23 and across route 104/25 to 16 and up route.

I used to do this every once in a while, just to switch it up, but only if I had the time. It is significantly longer, even if you know how to cut across 113 out to the intersection where that small gas station is.

Smellytele

I used to do this every once in a while, just to switch it up, but only if I had the time. It is significantly longer, even if you know how to cut across 113 out to the intersection where that small gas station is.

104/25/16 is 19 miles shorter but goggle has it 10 mins longer. I have never had good luck going the twin Mtn/Gorham route to get to wildcat.

Smellytele

Why that way? I meant thru Crawford Notch and then by Attitash then up 16.

That way is makes it even longer than the Gorham way. from Concord 110mi/ 1:54 to attitash then another 17.4mi/ 26 min to Wildcat your way. 101mi/same time my way and Gorham way 120mi/ 2:10. Delays are possible always. Your way 3 notches must be gotten through while beautiful offers some nasty driving in poor weather.

Geoff

I don't get the New Hampshire bias. Why not go to one of the 250"+ natural snow ski areas in Vermont? From Exeter, Skyeship Base at Killington is less than 2 hours; not that I'm suggesting it. Sugarbush/Mad River via the Roxbury Gap and Stowe are about 2 1/2 hours at speed limit + 9.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't get the New Hampshire bias. Why not go to one of the 250"+ natural snow ski areas in Vermont? From Exeter, Skyeship Base at Killington is less than 2 hours; not that I'm suggesting it. Sugarbush/Mad River via the Roxbury Gap and Stowe are about 2 1/2 hours at speed limit + 9.

Stowe in 2.5 hours from Exeter? Um no

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
When I used to drive from north shore to Wildcat via Route 16, I would pretty much always see at least three or four cop cars on the round trip. It would be noticeable if I didn't see any. They have a freaking state police station in the Ossipee area. You guys have vastly different experiences that I did making that drive. I always drive the speed limit on 16. Seen way too many people get nailed and I rarely am on 16 and not see at least one state cop.

Edd

There's always cops even on weekdays when I take that route but I just keep it to 5 or 10 over. Never been bothered.

kickstand

used to have a place in Jackson and not once did I get pulled over on 16 and I traveled it 3 out of 4 weekends Friday and Sunday.

+1

I rented on the Jackson/Bartlett line for about 6 years and have owned a place in Intervale since 2004. I have never been pulled over and I typically do the limit +9 or 10. Down in Rochester, especially coming home, I see people doing 70 and there are rarely any cops. Maybe once every 2 or 3 trips I'll see someone pulled over on that stretch, but that's it. As long as you're not doing the +10 when the limit drops to 30 or 40, and you're fine.

kcassidy

There's always cops even on weekdays when I take that route but I just keep it to 5 or 10 over. Never been bothered.

I take this route just about every Friday night/Sunday evening and have seen a few people pulled over. I agree that you can go 10mph over and not have an issue. I have been doing this for years and feel it is better this year than in the past.

xwhaler

Once you are in Conway you can then go on West Side Road and bypass all the outlets/N Conway traffic.
Used to do this every trip growing up as my folks had a condo right near the base of Attitash. I have seen and been pulled over by cops on that road though....them seem to hide over on that straight stretch near Diana's Baths.

AdironRider

Crowds for one. Killington will most likely be our early/late season place.

Part of it is the amount of skiing I will do. 3-4 days a week with the majority being day trips isnt going to allow consistent 2.5 hour drives in good conditions, much worse when it snows.

I can be at Cannon in just over an hour and a half if Im going 75. I see little motive to go all the way up to Northern VT.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
104/25/16 is 19 miles shorter but goggle has it 10 mins longer. I have never had good luck going the twin Mtn/Gorham route to get to wildcat.

Why that way? I meant thru Crawford Notch and then by Attitash then up 16.
I live in Ashland and can go either way (with a cut over 25B, I can probably get to Moultonboro faster than those going 104 at exit 23). I ALWAYS go up to Route 2 and cut over to get to Pinkham (or Wildcat when I go there). Way faster, way easier, total slam dunk. Attitash... I might go 25 to West Side Road, depends how I am feeling. More than likely 302 to completely avoid traffic. Also, mid-week you definitely don't want to be going 25 due to the school. Always plan for schools when driving mid-week.