• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Thread For the Bitter Cold: Bottom Mid Layers?

timm

So normally I am fine with just a base layer under my shell, weight of the base layer dependent on weather and activity. But there are days (like those this week) where that is not going to cut it, especially if I'm riding a lift. Seems like bottom mid layers are not all that common an item -- what do you all use/recommend?

Warp Daddy

When iski Tremblant in the bitchy cold this is my out fit from skin to outer layer :

TOP :Under Armor long sleeve compression shirt , Northface fleece lined quarter zip, Northface soft shell under my Karbon Hardshell.

BOTTOM : Northface lite weight fleece lined tights, Northface mid weight pants under Spyder ski pants

serius skull cap ,full Polarwrap heat exchanger full face mask under my Giro Streif helmet and goggs

Feet: Hot Chillys with a neoprene BOOT Glove on my boots

Use heat packs in my mittens

This outfit IS BULLET PROOF have skied Tremblant in up to 70 below zero F windchill s , last yr we skied all freaking day long during 30/40 below zero F windchill for 3 days

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I switched to just a shell pant last year, so on cold days like today, my thermals + pants are definitely not enough. So I'm looking at midweight bottoms also.

ScottySkis

1 layer of polyphony and sweat pants under good ski snow pants kept me warm in -15 in Utah , but little humidity.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have light weight and mid-weight thermals and the mid-weight under ski pants has never not been enough warmth for me. I can't imagine heavy weight or expedition weight thermals under ski pants wouldn't keep all but the most naturally cold people warm. Since the legs are in constant motion while skiing, I prefer to use the lightest and fewest layers possible.

abovetreeline

I also only use a shell with a base layer on most days. But on the bitter cold days I use kuiu super down pants. They are made with real down. The feathers have been treated with DWR finish (water proofed) so they still retain heat if they get wet unlike other real down products. They are 850+ fill. Keep my legs toasty even on the coldest of days.

timm

I can't imagine heavy weight or expedition weight thermals under ski pants wouldn't keep all but the most naturally cold people warm.

When you say "ski pants" though are you talking about shells or insulated pants? If shells...I just can't agree on brutal cold days like we saw this week. Especially resort skiing, where you are most likely spending as much time standing or sitting still (in line or on the lift) than in motion.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
When you say "ski pants" though are you talking about shells or insulated pants? If shells...I just can't agree on brutal cold days like we saw this week. Especially resort skiing, where you are most likely spending as much time standing or sitting still (in line or on the lift) than in motion.
Sorry, just noticed you were talking about under a base layer. I can't imagine wearing a shell with only a base layer would work at the current temps even with heavy or expedition weight base layers. Fleece pant mid-layer definitely seems the way to go with a shell in these temps.

jrmagic

I prefer shell pants but have an insulated pair for really cold days and all i use is a light base layer underneath and Im good to go. For normal temperature days I use the same light base layer under the shell and Im plenty warm.

Cornhead

I've worn fleece pajama bottoms that I got at Kohl's for $10

I wear PJ's as a layer too, not fleece however. Felt a little like this the other day

tumblr_lwrn3o0tBl1qbrjl0o1_500.jpg
But I was warm!
Five layers total, top and bottom. Mittens, Balaclava, and Mad Bomber hat, I was good to go. I, and the other 10 people on the hill, enjoyed empty trails and groomed all day conditions. Warp, skiing in -40° temps, kudos, or kookoo, I'm not sure which. :wink:

Last edited:

bigbog

Any fleece pant suggestions? Couldn't find any at EMS

Have had good results and have seen appropriate thickness with Marker, Mtn HW, Spyder, Pattagucci.. Whatever matches up with your pants to offer comfort at your particular energy/perspiration/coldness level...etc.
$.01

Last edited:

Mildcat

I use Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch pants over light thermals with shell pants on bitterly cold days. The only thing I don't like is the legs run a little long so when I pull them up to sit above the boot cuff they bunch up. That's just a minor annoyance though. I should bring them somewhere to get shortened.