• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crowds-Hunter or Camelback on a Saturday?

BenedictGomez

He is wright that is the way to avoids crowed chairs at Hunter on weekends, but still lots of people to ski trails conditions but you could try another hill a little west of Platty that always is never minutes to wait for chair.

Dearest God Scotty, this one's a trainwreck even by your standards.

Camelback will be busy every weekend till Presidents Week. Come back in March and you will have a wonderful day there. Everything is now open and snowmaking will keep going freshing everything up into March. Bumps are in the works and unless mother nature deals them a bad hand the 2nd half of the season should be solid condition wise.

I hit Camelback once late'ish last year when I was at my gf's place and had the desire for some night mogul skiing (which can be great fun), but there wasn't a bump to be found on the entire mountain. Truly hope that doesnt happen again as I'd like to give them another try. I went to Shawnee the Sunday night before last and they had zero moguls as well (though I'm not sure they ever really do have much in way of moguls).

ScottySkis

Dearest God Scotty, this one's a trainwreck even by your standards.

I hit Camelback once late'ish last year when I was at my gf's place and had the desire for some night mogul skiing (which can be great fun), but there wasn't a bump to be found on the entire mountain. Truly hope that doesnt happen again as I'd like to give them another try. I went to Shawnee the Sunday night before last and they had zero moguls as well (though I'm not sure they ever really do have much in way of moguls).
Sorry I been driving beer since 7 pm. Just have fun out there.

4aprice

Bumps are definately in the plans. Look for either Asp or Rocket and Lower Cleopatra (there's alot of call for those up at the mountain). Last year Lower Cleo bumps could not be made because of a rupture in the snowmaking pipe but there were bumps on Asp (good ones) most of the 2nd 1/2 of the season so I'm not sure when you were there. I'll air it loud and clear when they're up. CBK can be a fun practice mountain when things are right.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Rambo

I skied Camelback once last year - their last day, Sunday March 18?. Still a lot of machine made base left on the last day. Here is a pic of the bumps on ASP:

051.jpg

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 51

4aprice

^Nice pics of Asp. Man I don't miss last year, March 18 closing day? What a disaster. Mountain looks a whole lot better this year so far with snow cover all over not just on the trails. We're now due for a good March. Have a feeling this 2nd half could be a good one at CBK. They really fired up the guns this past cold snap and got some decent cover on the trails. Get us past Presidents Week and we can really start to enjoy the skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

I skied Camelback once last year - their last day, Sunday March 18?. Still a lot of machine made base left on the last day. Here is a pic of the bumps on ASP:

View attachment 7452

Those bumps look kindof funky/irregular, but it does look like fun. They certainly had a lot of on-trail cover for a last day. I was at Shawnee on the last day, simply because I had 2 vouchers, and it was somewhat pathetic. Lots of bare-spots. You got off the lift and had to take off your skis to hike to some trails. Took 3 runs and called it a day.

Man I don't miss last year, March 18 closing day? What a disaster.

I thought late'ish March closes were typical for the Poconos?

4aprice

Those bumps look kindof funky/irregular, but it does look like fun.

I thought late'ish March closes were typical for the Poconos?

Asp has a double fall line and while they are a little irregular (you can dead end at a fence if you take the wrong line) there are lines you can ski t2b. They can be challanging at times but fun (they are seeded by skiers not machine). The boarders (god bless them) don't always do it favors and make for some wicked bumps especially where the trail bends.

Camelback always aims for a April (early) closing. Many St Pats days there have been a blast. They will last as long as they can and hope for the PR of being the first to open, last to close. They sit higher then Shawnee and Blue and generally out last them.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Scruffy

Hunter was not that bad, crowd wise today. Good snow, they have been blowing big.

Bene, what are doing posting on here mid-day Saturday? Why aren't you skiing? Did you XC ski at Placid last week?

BenedictGomez

Bene, what are doing posting on here mid-day Saturday? Why aren't you skiing? Did you XC ski at Placid last week?

Very busy this weekend (and sadly next as well). Hit Gore last Friday and Whiteface on Saturday. Sunday at Lake Placid was snowy and windy like you wouldn't believe, so didn't bother skiing that day.

dmc

Rode Sunday... Was AWESOME!!!
Line was big at 6Pack... non-existent on the West side quad...
Clairs was wide open and FAST!!! So good!!!

F chair wasn't bad - Lower K rocked!!

Late in the day we raged Racers Edge over and over using the D triple chair.....

Really fun day with great conditions and bluebird sky...

skiking4

Rode Sunday... Was AWESOME!!!
Line was big at 6Pack... non-existent on the West side quad...
Clairs was wide open and FAST!!! So good!!!

F chair wasn't bad - Lower K rocked!!

Late in the day we raged Racers Edge over and over using the D triple chair.....

Really fun day with great conditions and bluebird sky...

damn! wish I went up. Conditions at the local hill (Thunder Ridge) during the week before were pretty good for manmade.
Hopefully they blow similarly after this rainstorm to make Sunday pretty good.

skisheep

damn! wish I went up. Conditions at the local hill (Thunder Ridge) during the week before were pretty good for manmade.
Hopefully they blow similarly after this rainstorm to make Sunday pretty good.

How is thunder ridge for some friday night after work skiing? it's only 40 minutes from my house so it might be worth trying once in a while. Anything there with semidecent pitch?(Wouldn't be a green at a VT/NY/NH/ME resort)

-skisheep

Thunder Ridge has a nice pitch for about 30 turns. They have 2 trails that offer that. Not bad and a fun bar.