• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Elk Mountain 1-25-13

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I haven't done a TR in a few years, but I wanted to mention how pleasantly surprised I am with Elk. I took advantage of a Winterfest special with $25 tickets from a local ski shop I picked up this morning on my way up.

It only has 1,000 ft of vert, but there is a bit of steepness to the top of the of the mountain that makes it interesting. They have 1 run bumped up, and they blew a coating of snow on top last might, so its not rock hard.

Simple and clean base lodge. Sam Adams and Long Trail on tap. What more can you ask for.

Cornhead

Glad you enjoyed Elk, my other home mountain. I've never been disappointed with the snow quality on my many trips there. Did you park in the upper lots and ski down to get your ticket? That's the way to do it. They only allow season pass holders up there on weekends, the rest of us are herded into those damn cattle cars, yuk.

〽❄❅

I was going to take advantage of the $25 winterfest tix too, but would've been freaking watching the snow i wanted to be skiing in falling on the start of my drive home! I'm not big on night skiing, planing to drive up tomorrow morning.

...Shush Cornhead...they're not supposed to know about the upper lots;)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I rode the lift with an older local couple, they mentioned something that I found interesting. Years ago, they said the top of the mountain was cut too much and always windswept and the skiing was pretty poor. They said that lately, each year Elk picks one or two trails and plants evergreen trees on the slopes to fill in what was overcut. You can see the areas that are replanted, because the trees are all varying heights, but are relatively spaced apart. Usually it's along the sides of the trail, and at the corners of the intersections. They said that it does a great job of holding the snow and makes the skiing much better. Someone at Cannon should take note.

〽❄❅

I rode the lift with an older local couple, they mentioned something that I found interesting. Years ago, they said the top of the mountain was cut too much and always windswept and the skiing was pretty poor. They said that lately, each year Elk picks one or two trails and plants evergreen trees on the slopes to fill in what was overcut. You can see the areas that are replanted, because the trees are all varying heights, but are relatively spaced apart. Usually it's along the sides of the trail, and at the corners of the intersections. They said that it does a great job of holding the snow and makes the skiing much better. Someone at Cannon should take note.
...hum, i've been skiing there since the mid nineteen seventies and that sounds about right. I'll have to ask my friend about it tomorrow when we're on the lifts. She's my age and has been skiing there since she was seven.

jfrenchu

how are the weekend crowds?I'm limited to w/e this year mostly and don't care for the nys crowds.I know Platty might be less crowded bit its just too far fora day trip
thanks

ScottySkis

how are the weekend crowds?I'm limited to w/e this year mostly and don't care for the nys crowds.I know Platty might be less crowded bit its just too far fora day trip
thanks
The 2 times I was there, one was New Years holiday weekend so it was crowded maybe 15 minutes line on a holiday week after snow, so not bad. And the other was a normal Sunday maybe 1 to 5 minutes at the most. They have no high speed chairs which is good in my opinion. Probably the best hill in Pennsylvania and all the trails are almost open unfortunately for Platty their about half way open. Elk does seem like they do really good grooming. They say no one is allowed to ski glades but I saw people do it. Probably because of their ever green chairs. Also you can buy 4 hour segments tickets, I be their tomorrow with some others from A zone, I like Elk a lot so far and am considering buying a season pass next year.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Here's a cell phone pic from yesterday.

In a few years, after my son learns to ski, if I still live in NJ, I'd definitely consider Elk as a home mountain.

Attachments

• 1359212310927.jpg
    1359212310927.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 56

〽❄❅

thanks
No more than a five minute wait around noon one'ish when the race was going on. Most of the time a 3minute wait or less. Quad chair, practically no wait. Trails where not crowded either. All things considered the ungroomed blacks were skiing well. Wasn't enough new snow to keep the groomers interesting. Managed to park in my favorite ski on ski off lot by the Quad chair. A congregation of patrollers had just roped off Schuylkill at the fork diverting skiers to Tioga, we asked if it would be ok to ski to our car and they let us duck the ropes to do so. Gotta love it there!
You guys will have fun tomorrow. If i wasn't wiped and sleep deprived, i would've liked to join everyone on Sunday.
And btw, my friend remembers the top just about always being cold, we both seem to remember fewer trees up there.

x10003q

I finally got to ski Elk on Friday, Jan 18. It is usually a little too far vs skiing Plattekill or Hunter but I had to drive past to take my son back to school. I really enjoyed the place. According to the Elk web site they have planted over 13,000 mostly Norway spruce since the mid 1980s. There are a number of expert trails that really are expert trails.

Here is my trip report:http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Elk-Mountain-PA-1-18-2013-tp4023661.html

4aprice

St Bear your the first person I've ever heard compliment the lodge at Elk. Love the mountain but the lodge is dated and cramped. Can't stand the Elk Mobile either. Will be up there the last weekend in February. Always look forward to that trip. Its Blue next weekend for me. Hopefully many will opt for Super Bowl Parties and the Mountain will be less busy then usual.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ