• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee Sunbowl Quad Closed for Repairs

spiderpig

I drove over to ski at Mount Sunapee on Sunday without knowledge that the Sunbowl Quad would be closed for repairs. It was disappointing not to ski those three or four runs on that side of the mountain, but at least the cold seemed to keep the crowds away. I am trying to figure out why Sunapee can't have a trail run out from the bottom of the Sunbowl area along or near the access road to access either of the triples so the trails can at least be left open in this situation.

Apparently, the lift was stopping too much on Saturday and had to be shut down during the day. Sunapee stated yesterday that it should be running again today, but it is still closed. Does anyone here have any insight on what the problem may be? It reminds me of the shutdown of Magic's red chair earlier this season for not being able to stop properly.

Side note: Sister mountain Okemo was having problems with the Solitude HSQ stopping way too often in the cold of Saturday morning, and they seem to be having "mechanical problems" with the South Face HSQ, which is "on hold" this morning, so it should be open some time today. I have to imagine that the crippling cold is hard on the lifts as it is hard on the customers.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

I am trying to figure out why Sunapee can't have a trail run out from the bottom of the Sunbowl area along or near the access road to access either of the triples so the trails can at least be left open in this situation.

They could but you would need x-country skis as the road actually rises a little headed that way and ends up the same elevation.Sunbowl is at about 1660 ft and the road rises to 1700 ft.

Puck it

They could but you would need x-country skis as the road actually rises a little headed that way and ends up the same elevation.Sunbowl is at about 1660 ft and the road rises to 1700 ft.

And I think a little bit more to get over to the Elliot Slope.

spiderpig

I thought that might be the case, looking at the topo map. Sunapee doesn't seem to have a problem with that on North Peak Pass, which may be the most ridiculous "alpine" trail I have seen along with Wide Connection at Windham. It may be a good idea to have enough snow on a trail below Sunbowl just in case the lift goes down anyway.

Puck it

During one of the holds on Saturday we saw skiers/boarders hiking out the road to the top of the Spruce Triple. It wouldn't be too bad on tele gear.
How much of a climb is up from the road? I never realized the road got that close at the bend until I looked at the map today.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Apparently, the lift was stopping too much on Saturday and had to be shut down during the day. Sunapee stated yesterday that it should be running again today, but it is still closed. Does anyone here have any insight on what the problem may be? It reminds me of the shutdown of Magic's red chair earlier this season for not being able to stop properly.

Side note: Sister mountain Okemo was having problems with the Solitude HSQ stopping way too often in the cold of Saturday morning, and they seem to be having "mechanical problems" with the South Face HSQ, which is "on hold" this morning, so it should be open some time today. I have to imagine that the crippling cold is hard on the lifts as it is hard on the customers.

High-speed lifts have tires in the bottom and top terminals that keep the chairs moving when they are off the cable. These tires have a tendency to freeze up in the cold or when the lift is just starting.
As for the Sunbowl, it could be something electrical like a sensor continuously malfunctioning that would automatically stop the lift.