• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who drives the farthest/longest to ski every weekend?

bluebird

Weekends 3.5 hrs to Jay 2 or 3 times a month although it always seems to snow and take longer. Otherwise up to 3 hours 1 way for a day trip.

Wavewheeler

How often I ski varies. I try to go every 2 weeks, more if there's a snowstorm in between. I don't ski on weekend, only midweek. Usually Wed-Friday.

A day trip is an 1 hr/45 minutes to 2 hours to Camelback from the Jersey Shore. I do that a lot to hike and kayak at the Delaware River Water Gap too so it's not a big deal. It's an easy drive. I wouldn't even think of staying overnight.

Mountain Creek is maybe a half hour closer but it's not an option. I hate that place.

I have been doing Hunter for day trips. 175 miles/3 hours. The trick is to get up super early and leave around 5 am to beat the rush hour and be out of NJ before 7 am.

I prefer to do an overnighter to the Cats..head up in the AM, ski..get a room overnight and ski the next day and go home. It's worth the extra money and I'm not fussy about where I sleep. If it's cheap, it's good. :thumbup:

For stuff north of there it's a vacation. I never spend less than 5 days for a vacation at Killington. We go up one day (Monday)..ski Tue-Wed-Thurs and come home Friday. This year we skied Wed-Thurs-Friday because of bad rain Tuesday and drove home after skiing on Friday.

One year I drove up on a Wed, skied Gore Thursday and Friday, left Saturday morning. Both those trips are 5-5 1/2 hours.

I hate living so far from everything! I have the same problem when I hike and camp.:( The only thing close to me is the beach. This will all change in 2 years.

Last edited:

Slow

30 minutes south of Boston and we (wife and 2 boys 5 and 8,) go to Burke every weekend. No stops on the way home and I can make it in just about 3:20. But, heading up on Friday afternoons/evenings usually takes 4:30-5. Lots of friends and neighbors pull off at Loon at right around 2 hours but, as I tell them I have no problem driving the last hour through NH and VT it is the hour in MA that makes me nuts.

ceo

Usually: 2 and a bit hours to Cannon for day trips, 4.5 hours to Sugarloaf for Feb. vacation trip.
Sometimes: 3:15 day trip to Sugarbush. That's pushing it for me though.
This year for the Sugarloaf trip we're getting up at o'pitchdark-thirty and skiing the first day. We'll see if my son is as enthusiastic about the idea that morning as he was when I presented the idea.

Rowsdower

1.5 hours to Camelback and maybe 1 hour 15 min to Mountain Creek, but I don't go to Mountain Creek. Hunter is 2.5 hours. The rest of the Catskills are between 2.5 and 3hrs. Anything further that is beyond a day trip for me.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Usually: 2 and a bit hours to Cannon for day trips, 4.5 hours to Sugarloaf for Feb. vacation trip.
Sometimes: 3:15 day trip to Sugarbush. That's pushing it for me though.
This year for the Sugarloaf trip we're getting up at o'pitchdark-thirty and skiing the first day. We'll see if my son is as enthusiastic about the idea that morning as he was when I presented the idea.

Growing up my parents would wake me "o'pitchdark-thirty". It didn't feel quite real but I would be wide awake once the car was going. I still don't like getting up before six but sometimes it has to be done.

Wavewheeler

Today..Oh yeah. Roads were a mess all over. I'm surprised you got there that fast! I heard a foot or was that an exaggeration? How was the skiing? I will be there tomorrow and Friday.

gladerider

4.25 to Stratton a few times a year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jimk

I made a day trip of what should've taken 3 hours to Aspen yesterday, but took longer due to snow.

I think my weekend max is 6 hours one way. When I risk getting home after midnight is where I draw the line

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobi

I'm in a good situation this winter where I'm only driving about 80 mins each way to ski most weekends. In past seasons I was more often doing day trips that were 3 hour drives each way.
Not in the same category, but most winters over the last half dozen years I have done two major ski road trips:
a. from mid-Atlantic to New England for a 1 week trip and
b. from the mid-Atlantic to the Rockies for a 1.5 to 2 week trip. Longest single day of driving on one of the western trips was mid-A to Omaha, NE (~1200 miles) in a 19 year old Honda Accord on the way to a week of great skiing in UT. About a month ago I drove (a newer car) to Aspen with my son. Great trip.
One time I posted something online about having just driven back East from CO in two days and a person said, "me too, only we just drove straight through without stopping." There's always an even crazier fool out there :wink:

4aprice

Loving this thread. Though I never really think of the NYC metro area as a skiing hotbed, reading the times of CT, RI and Boston area people makes me realize I don't have it too bad. Living right off I-80, and approx. 10 miles west of I-287 I can reach Lake George in 3 hours flat (3 1/2 towing boat in summer to show you what an easy drive it is). Its pretty much just under 4 to Rut Vegas where I've been basing myself because the daughter is at CSC. Its a great staging area for skiing Southern Vermont. Next year with the boy up in NNE will be different as we will try to base ourselves between the 2 kids in the White River Junction Area. Driving up the NYS Thruway to the Mass Pike to I-91 should get me there in about 4 1/2 hours. Of course from there N VT and NH are accessible from there. Day trip options include the Berkshires (2 1/2, maybe 3 to B East), Catskills (2-2 1/2), and of course the Pocono's (>hour to 1 1/2 Elk). Planning on doing that I-87 Shuffle every weekend once PA race season is over.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

john1200c

2:15 to North Conway give or take. 10 mins from there to Attitash, 20 or so to Wildcat. No day trips. 1:15 to Crotched for day trips on weekends I don't go to North Conway.

Wavewheeler

Loving this thread. Though I never really think of the NYC metro area as a skiing hotbed, reading the times of CT, RI and Boston area people makes me realize I don't have it too bad. Living right off I-80, and approx. 10 miles west of I-287 I can reach Lake George in 3 hours flat (3 1/2 towing boat in summer to show you what an easy drive it is).

Lake George is a 5 hour drive for me usually. I can do it in 4 if I avoid rush hour and drive straight through, but that was rare. I used to camp up there on the islands every two weeks for 4-5 days when we had our boat up there. That's when I rearranged my work schedule to have Thursdays and Fridays off. Lake George camping went away after my divorce though. I love that area and always wanted to move there.

Now I want go west and live a half hour or less away from where I ski, hike, camp, etc. I'm sick of driving hours to get anywhere. Even 2 hours is too much. I've had it dealing with the NYC metro area traffic, congestion and overall ugliness. Life is too short to spend most of my time staring at the back of somebody else's bumper going 20 mph for hours in stop and go traffic.