• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who drives the farthest/longest to ski every weekend?

makimono

For day trips my rule of thumb is total driving time <= total skiing time...so that's about 3.5 hours one way daytrip. If I had a place and was going up Friday night, 5-6 hours maybe, but I don't so I don't. Probably could apply the same rule of thumb to weekend trips though...

vinnyv11

〽❄❅;754720 said:
2.5 hrs drive to Elk.

Rather limited day trip options from Philly.

Agreed anywhere past the pocs/elk is a stay over distance until I meet someone willing to drive.

4aprice

The Pocono's are in my back yard and anything north of that up to about Sunday River is driving distance. I could see day tripping it up to Killington, but would usually stay over. Catskills are day trip territory.

One of the best things near where I live is Newark Airport 35 mins away and connections in SLC.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HowieT2

4.5 hours (including a stop) from westchester to/from sugarbush every weekend. Aint nothing but a thing. 2 other families from around here do the same. Really dont mind it.

rocojerry

I'm usually 2.5-5 hours each way, try to make a weekend out of the 5ers, day trip the 2.5-3ers..

Traffic and weather included in those numbers from MA.... general rule is further I drive, better it gets, so no complaints...

drjeff

I'm 2:40 (140 miles) each way door to door essentially every weekend to Mount Snow

Whitey

Back in the day when I was 20ish and living in Boston I day-tripped to Jay from Boston. 5 hrs each way. Found out late that some good friends were there and somehow talked myself into driving up for Sunday to ski with them. Got up at 3Am. Made it there as the lifts started spinning. Skied my a$$ off all day. Had a beer with my friends at the end of the day and headed out. Rolled back into Boston at about 11PM. Completely exhausted for the last 2+hrs of the ride. Had to drive with my head out the window from about Warner, NH all the way to Boston. Crawled into bed as soon as I rolled in.

10+hrs of driving for 7 hrs of skiing.

I felt like the old guy from "Longest Yard"; ". . .was it worth it? Yah, for me it was".

JDMRoma

I drive 2 hours each way to Bretton Woods....almost always day trips ! No big deal now, Im used to it ! I drive an hour each way to work so 2 hours to have fun is a deal !!

SKI-3PO

I'm averaging over 5.5 hrs over 7 weekends this year from SE PA...the average was brought down with the Elk day trip this past weekend. It's exhausting after awhile.

abc

I don't go every weekend but living in the tropics of eastern LI is far from any hill.....5+ hr drives are the norm.
Mine isn't quite as long. 4-5 hr for a weekend and 2+ hours for day trip. Still, I don't do it every weekend. I only do it when the condition warrants, which the past 1 and half season is about once a month! :(

I really don't have to drive as far. But I like the condition and the lack of crowds of those mountains further north. So the drive just have to be endured. I wish they're closer. But I also understand if they're indeed closer, it would be mobbed like Killington! ;)

Bumpsis

2 to 3 hours (one way) for day trips, usually someplace in NH like Sunapee, Gunstock or Cannon. 4-5 hours for stay over for a few days of skiing. But these longer trips are very few.

FRITOLAYGUY

I like the old philosophy of skiing at least what u drive, if its 3hrs to the hill then u must ski at least 6 hours, you have to spend as much time on the mountain as at least in the car.

emmaurice2

I'm mostly a day-tripper with a few weekend trips per season. Long ago when I lived in NYC and my situation was different, I was away nearly every weekend, N. Vermont, Adirondacks or Poconos.