• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

waterproofing pants

gmcunni

You should probably get the garden hose out tonight and test them. Would suck to be out on an epic day and you're soaked to you underwear.

garden hoses are put away for the winter. i could take a shower with my pants on tho

darent

Goretex man. guaranteed dry.

I was in a sailboat race in a good nor'easter blow, the crew was in Atlantis goretex sailing gear, I was wearing a columbia camo non goretex duck hunting parka and pant, at the end of the day I was the only dry person on deck! we were getting hit all day with spray and waves,

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was in a sailboat race in a good nor'easter blow, the crew was in Atlantis goretex sailing gear, I was wearing a columbia camo non goretex duck hunting parka and pant, at the end of the day I was the only dry person on deck! we were getting hit all day with spray and waves,

Goretext even whent he fabric gets that wet look doesn't (isn't supposed to) permeate through to below. There is a "middle layer" even on very thing shells of the actual goretex fabric.

They didn't get wet from water going into / under somehow, (vs. through) the fabric?

I've always had good luck with goretex so far. No coating necessary, just wash it ever couple months.

octopus

me and my wife have(expensive) goretex snowboard gear, both of us still get wet, mainly thru the pants. i have AK and volcom gear, 2 and 3 layer goretex stuff. no probs with jackets. test them in the shower, i did.

hippiechick

I've used both the wash-in (NikWax) and the spray on stuff, and if you're after some serious waterproofing, go for the spray. Just be nice and even when you spray it, and also mind where (room) that you spray it. I think it's silicone based, and I sprayed my shit at the beginning of this season while hanging up in my LR with hardwood floor, and I damn near killed myself for about a week on that f-ing floor - it was so slippery!

But yeah, I think you could waterproof a pair of jeans with enough of the spray on stuff.

Hawkshot99

Is it me or does that spray on stuff really have an odd smell?

Q: after using the spray on, do you guys put the garment in the dryer to bake on the stuff?

Didnt notice any odd smell. I put mine in the dryer as that is what the instructikns said to do. Actully washed the pants and jacket first with the included detergent.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

darent

Goretext even whent he fabric gets that wet look doesn't (isn't supposed to) permeate through to below. There is a "middle layer" even on very thing shells of the actual goretex fabric.

They didn't get wet from water going into / under somehow, (vs. through) the fabric?

I've always had good luck with goretex so far. No coating necessary, just wash it ever couple months.

what we fiqured out was that the atlantis goretex stuff was soaking through because of being hit by waves, my columbia was urathane coated and didn't breath and wasn't penetrated by the blast of water. This happened when goretex was first on the scene so I am sure things are different.I wore my goretex ski jacket to the patriots game with SF and it rained the whole game and I stayed dry, but I wasn't getting hit with sheets of water!

Bumpsis

what we fiqured out was that the atlantis goretex stuff was soaking through because of being hit by waves, my columbia was urathane coated and didn't breath and wasn't penetrated by the blast of water. This happened when goretex was first on the scene so I am sure things are different.I wore my goretex ski jacket to the patriots game with SF and it rained the whole game and I stayed dry, but I wasn't getting hit with sheets of water!

Overall, I like Gortex but I found that the waterpoofing/ water repelling coating is crucial to how well the garment will perform. When the water repellent coating wears out, the Gortex membrane all by itself is not going to be all that effective. I had a pair of ski pants with Goretex membrane and just a few rides on a wet lift chairs was clearly felt on the inside. The pants lost their repellency quite some time ago and I never did restored through one of those sprays or washers.
The same held true for a jacket. Once the coating wore off and the rain stopped beading up, there was definite moisture penetration. On the other hand, the breathebilty aspect of Gortex is also something that one needs to question, regardless of what it does to stop rain from getting through. Hiking in wet weather always got me fairly wet on the inside when wearing Gortex jacket. For static activity like downhill ski, well coated garmnet and the Gortex membrane is a good combination for controlling wetness. For more aerobic activity, I really don't know of anything that will keep you dry.

gmcunni

bump...

previously used NIKWAX TX DIRECT SPRAY ON WATERPROOFING with good success but it has been a few years, anyone find anything better for helping keep ski cloths water repellent after washing?

drjeff

bump...

previously used NIKWAX TX DIRECT SPRAY ON WATERPROOFING with good success but it has been a few years, anyone find anything better for helping keep ski cloths water repellent after washing?
I've tried Toko's product, but went back to the Nikwax - in my book, that's the standard to which all others to date aspire too

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app