• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/7-2/9

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Jim Cantore says they need more colors and lines to represent the even higher amounts on this chart!

CONUS1_ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_84HR.gif

I don't want to jinx things, but cotdamn that's a pretty map. It's been a pathetically long time since I've skied in powder.

I also like how NJ is left out of the storm, so I won't have to worry about clearing my driveway when I get home. Win-win!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A blizzard Watch has been issued for Massachusetts.

A blizzard Watch has been issued for Massachusetts.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Boston, MA
3:19 pm EST, Wed., Feb. 6, 2013

... BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON... ... WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
* LOCATIONS... MUCH OF EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL RHODE ISLAND. THIS INCLUDES THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE CORRIDOR.

* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES.

* TIMING... LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPS BY FRIDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL INCREASE INTENSITY DURING FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE. TRAVEL MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* WINDS... NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES... IN THE MID 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OVER 35 MPH AND VISIBILITIES BELOW 1/4 MILE FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS. WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE... MAKING TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS. BE PREPARED TO ALTER ANY TRAVEL PLANS.
&&
More Information

... A POTENTIAL HISTORIC WINTER STORM AND BLIZZARD IS EXPECTED TO DROP 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...

jrmagic

This is just what Magic needs, with pres day week up ahead. Good times for sure in Londonderry
Any nfrozen natural base left there in the woods? Or is everyhing completely bare?

There isnt much at all from what Ive been able to see. If there's decent moisture content some of the low angle trees will be in play for sure. If we got 15 or better with moisture most everything can be had.

Im working saturday evening so I will be looking for sloppy seconds on Sunday.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Oh God I had been planning on stocking up groceries for my trip tomorrow. I guess everything will be gone by tonight. Worse store lines will be impossible. Shoplifting may be an option. ;)

Actually, I should just flee the flatlands as quickly as possible and do my shopping up north. Better prices, no crowds, support the local economy. Besides, this is just another "normall" snowstorm for them. Good Idea Bill. Thanks. I'm glad you thought of it. :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That's it. life is over in the flatlands They're all calling it a blizzard. I probably won't be able to get gas either. I hope the liquor stores have something left for me.

BenedictGomez

Heaviest part extends a lot further North and West in that chart

Yeah, that's definitely wrong, though the dark bit is only 12", but still aggressively large compared to other models. It's also weird that it only has 1" for n.NJ etc. I think most people really only look to the NAM inside 48 or 72 hours at most.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
How is Sugarloaf sitting on all this for the summit? I know it's further north in the snow bands. I'm seeing everything from 3" to 2'+ on various models.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm almost ready to make the 2+ hour drive to Magic Saturday as well.
I've never driven that far for a day trip of skiing.
I'm thinking the trip is a go if they get at least 16", since right now there is little to no natural snow on the ground and if I drive that far I want to be able to sample a lot of the terrain.
Everyone is going to zig. I think I am going to zag. Magic should be pretty damned packed with only the double running. Seems like the obvious choice which makes me consider other options. But good on Magic for packing em' in a powder frenzy day, they definitely need that type of business.

ScottySkis

Oh God I had been planning on stocking up groceries for my trip tomorrow. I guess everything will be gone by tonight. Worse store lines will be impossible. Shoplifting may be an option. ;)

Actually, I should just flee the flatlands as quickly as possible and do my shopping up north. Better prices, no crowds, support the local economy. Besides, this is just another "normall" snowstorm for them. Good Idea Bill. Thanks. I'm glad you thought of it. :)

Actually two of coworkers cancelled their plans on Friday night because of this storm, in NYC were subway train does not have problems running in snow.

BenedictGomez

Are we completely mapped out yet or can I post another?

I tend to find this guy to be pretty good, at the very least he's not a hypester.

60061551108233226869121.jpg